The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 18, 2024, 12:56:56 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Not Including Non-Orchestral Vocal Music in My Catalogues

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Not Including Non-Orchestral Vocal Music in My Catalogues  (Read 335 times)
kyjo
« on: September 29, 2012, 11:30:57 pm »

As you have seen, all my catalogues have been all-comprehensive up to this point. But, so many composers wrote so many non-orchestral songs and choral music, that, I admit, does not interest me (my loss, I'm sure :(). So, I am seriously considering not including non-orchestral music in my catalogues because it becomes a "chore" for me and once I am done with piano and organ music, I just want to get on to another composer. If a composer didn't write a lot of non-orchestral vocal music, I might consider including it in my catalogues. If anyone has any objections to this, please let me know :).
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 02:07:16 am »

I am the last person in the world to criticise anybody's choice of what to include in a catalogue and what to omit ;D ;D

What others should appreciate-and I know virtually everybody does so understand-is that these catalogues are being compiled for the pleasure it gives the researcher/cataloguer and shared with others via the net in the hope that they will be of some interest/usefulness. They are not done for financial remuneration or a commercial publisher. In these circumstances I, for one, am unapologetic in cataloguing what I find of interest and omitting what does not interest me. As I have said before, if someone else wants a list of all composer X's string quartets then go ahead and do the necessary research, compile the list and add it on publicly. There is no problem, issue or difficulty for me, at least, in that and, again speaking purely personally, I have never and will never have any issue with corrections, amendments or additions to my lists. I make mistakes and am more than happy to have these corrected :) :)
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 02:19:10 am »

Thank you for your kind and understanding words, Colin :).
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 09:16:28 am »

these catalogues are being compiled for the pleasure it gives the researcher/cataloguer and shared with others via the net in the hope that they will be of some interest/usefulness.

I have no problem with that at all, and entirely understand the situation!

As soon as I see a composer wrote no operas or vocal music, I usually pass them by ;)  My interest in the song repertoire is connected with the poetry as much as the music. For example Medtner -living in poverty in emigration, but safe from the fist of the Kremlin - set a good number of poets who were banned, or excluded from publication, under the soviet government. There are very few musical settings of fine poets like Balmont, Akhmatova, Blok, or Gumilev - so they're worth hearing, when we get the chance :)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: