The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:59:55 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

help in identifying an unusual stringed instrument.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: help in identifying an unusual stringed instrument.  (Read 752 times)
Jurassic Pete
« on: September 28, 2012, 12:20:01 pm »

I want to post a picture of a small stringed instrument which I have in my possession, but I cannot figure out how to attach a picture to a post.... can anyone help me with instructions on how to do this ?
Cheers,
Peter
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest2
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 01:21:25 pm »

Well what I do is

1. go to the site photobucket.com (become a member if you are not one already)

2. upload your photo to your "album" at photobucket

3. then copy the "direct link" address which will appear under your photo in your album at photobucket

4. then come to the art-music forum, write your message, and paste that "direct link" into your message

5. highlight that link in your message, and click on the little picture symbol above which says "Insert Image"

6. then if you preview your message you should see the photo therein, and you can go ahead and post the message normally.

No doubt there are a number of other ways which others might recommend. For example, photobucket is by no means the only such site. Hope this helps.

Report Spam   Logged
Jurassic Pete
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 01:28:02 pm »

Thanks a bundle, Gerard, I'll follow those instructions.
Cheers,
Peter
Report Spam   Logged
Jurassic Pete
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 01:44:10 pm »

Thanks to Gerard I am now able to upload the pics of this instrument.... can anyone tell me what it is and what would be the standard way of stringing it and tuning it?

Cheers,
Peter
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 10:55:20 am »

Perhaps it might be a charango?

They are made both flat-backed, and solid-bodied.  The number of strings would tally, anyhow ;)
Report Spam   Logged
Jurassic Pete
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 12:57:30 pm »

Thanks, Neil, I'm sure you are right....  I've never hear of it before, but anyhow I've ordered some strings right away and will have a go as soon as I get them.
How would I have ever discovered this without this excellent forum...?
Thanks again,
Peter
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 05:45:34 pm »

That was my first thought, too, though I didn't see anything but flat-bottomed ones when I spent a year in Bolivia. Get any Bolivian and Peruvian folk music and you are likely to hear it, I also think Simon and Garfunkel used it in their music to El Condor Pasa, which, with the quena (a reed flute) taking the melody and the charango accompanying, is just about the most descriptive music you will find to express the emotions one feels high in the Andes mountains, even if you are an outsider. I was there in the early '70s and some of the Bolivian people were angry at what they called the theft of their traditional melody. There was also a folk explanation of the origin of the quena, which is a simple hollowed out reed flute that has a most plaintive and beautiful tone, even more other-worldly than the native American flute you probably have heard, esp in New Age music. It was thought to have been originally carved from the tibia of an Incan warrior's beloved wife, who was accidentally killed in a battle--he couldn't leave her body in his grief and when she was skeletal he made the flute so he could hear her voice forever. I love that story. Anyway, hope that all was of interest to you.

Here is a picture of a quena, to go with your charango picture!
http://www.kaypacha.com.ar/en/instruments/quena/quena.htm
Report Spam   Logged
Jurassic Pete
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 07:12:49 pm »

Shamus.... that is fantastic stuff, gives me a whole different perspective on the instrument and it's background. Thank you very much and I will now look further as well into the quena, it will be great to have them as a pair!
Cheers,
Peter
Report Spam   Logged
JimL
Level 3

Times thanked: 16

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 05:41:37 pm »

How is it tuned?  Like a 12-string F guitar?
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 09:01:08 pm »

How is it tuned?  Like a 12-string F guitar?

The Wikipedia article I cited above gives several variant turnings. Re-entrant tuning is traditional :)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: