The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:35:22 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Gilbert Amy

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gilbert Amy  (Read 571 times)
some guy
« on: July 07, 2009, 10:12:43 pm »

When I was first exploring twentieth century music, I had an LP with a short piece by Amy on it. I don't remember what piece that was (I should try to find out, I guess), but I do remember that it both intrigued and puzzled me.

A recent Harmonia Mundi release has allowed me to reacquaint myself with this composer, who has never been well-known, at least over here in the U.S., even more obscure than Klaus Huber or Ivo Malec. The new disc has three cello concertos on it, by Bruce Mantovani, Philippe Schoeller, and Gilbert Amy, whose concerto has, in my mind, lept into the place formerly occupied by only the Lutosławski.

Now I'm on mission to find more Amy discs. Anyone have any favorites?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Roehre
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 11:34:19 pm »

Now I'm on mission to find more Amy discs. Anyone have any favorites?

The one I'd like to recommend is  a CD which I bought some ten years ago, with Ecrits sur Toiles and Variation Ajoutée (2e2m:  1015). But AFAIK that one has been deleted   :(  .
Report Spam   Logged
some guy
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 05:08:07 am »

Not only deleted, but I haven't been able to find anyone selling a used copy.

But good to know about. That goes on my list.
Report Spam   Logged
IanP
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 09:35:03 am »

I'd like to put in a word for Amy's Piano Sonata of 1960; in three movements, two of which on the surface (in terms of notation) seem to relate to Boulez's Third Sonata, though Amy's work is quite different (somewhat more linear, charged in places, and labyrinthine). I think there is an old recording by Claude Helffer, but I don't have it - does anyone know of any other recordings, including live recordings from broadcasts, etc.?
Report Spam   Logged
Ordinary working person
Level 2

Times thanked: 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 11:43:19 am »

The only thing of Amy's I know is his Cello Concerto, which was composed around 2000 and broadcast two or three years ago.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: