The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:30:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Stanford sacred choral music from Hyperion

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stanford sacred choral music from Hyperion  (Read 2263 times)
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« on: September 18, 2012, 05:24:02 pm »

Up for November release, a very welcome re-packaging of three discs of Stanford's sacred choral music previously available separately -

CDS44311/3

http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.asp?dc=D_CDS44311/3&vw=dc

This is the most comprehensive survey available of this important area of the composer's output and it is pleasing to see it being given a new lease of life.

:)

What is urgently needed, though, are first-class recordings of the Mass in G, Op.46, and the large-scale celebratory Te Deum, Op.66 ...

::)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 05:30:34 pm »

When are we going to get a comprehensive Stanford Catalogue from you, John ??? ;D

I have-quite deliberately-left Stanford and Parry alone ;D ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 05:42:26 pm »

I'll get onto it, if they would be useful. I'll re-post Mackenzie and Cowen as well ...

Maybe even poor old Gadsby.

;D
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 05:47:29 pm »

Good man :)
Report Spam   Logged
guest54
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 02:11:36 pm »

My namesake, in his 1922 book about "Our Favourite Musicians," wrote:

"Stanford once challenged the roughness of modern music by writing an 'Ode to Discord,' in which he satirised present-day uglinesses, as certain modern effects are called; but the young modernists found that the 'Ode' was, for them, the best work he had ever written, and the satirical effort would seem to have defeated itself."

But I have not been able to track down this "Ode to Discord" among Stanford's works. Perhaps one of you erudite gentlemen can point it out. . .
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 03:40:23 pm »

I have not been able to track down this "Ode to Discord" among Stanford's works. Perhaps one of you erudite gentlemen can point it out. . .

Composed 1907-08 and first performed at the Queen's Hall on 9th June 1909, conducted by Landon Ronald. Here is the vocal score -

http://imslp.org/wiki/Ode_to_Discord_(Stanford,_Charles_Villiers)

Report Spam   Logged

jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 01:04:31 am »

I would so love to hear this work! I wonder if one would be allowed to discuss it on UC...
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 02:00:35 am »

I would so love to hear this work! I wonder if one would be allowed to discuss it on UC...

Naughty ;D
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 02:26:08 am »

Haha! Good one, Jim ;D ;D!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 02:02:38 pm »

;D There was a bit of discord there last night,I gather...& maybe,a new member?!! Fortunately,it's all peace & love here! I mean,love for music,of course! ;D
Report Spam   Logged
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 02:52:16 pm »

I saw that!
Report Spam   Logged
JimL
Level 3

Times thanked: 16

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 03:41:50 pm »

If it's Lionel you're talking about, I saw it too.  I'm surprised he hasn't shown up here already.  Alan seems to have become a sort of hatchet man over there, which is somewhat unfortunate since all he's trying to do is keep threads on-topic.  Fortunately, my oft-decried insensitivity has proved to be more of an asset than a hindrance under those circumstances.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 04:58:16 pm »

I suppose there are,possibly,more diplomatic ways of getting a thread back on-topic.I find ignoring a post that appears inappropriate or off-topic (if I think it is!) & responding to,or simply furthering,a previous on-topic post often works for me! Not that I can talk,judging by some of my dafter posts on the GMG thread! :(
On a more positive note,Rosemary Brown has got her own thread now! And come to think of,I may have heard of her,too? 'Nationwide' with Frank Bough,perhaps?!! Anyway,moving along.......... ;D they DO have some interesting threads going on there. For example,mention of a Franz Lachner opera broadcast? I might try & hear that!!!
Incidentally,with respect to being on-topic,let's not forget old Charles Stanford! ;D Although,I must admit,I'm more of a Hubert Parry man,myself! :)
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 06:33:35 pm »

Cilgwyn, do you have either the Requiem (1897) or the Stabat mater (1907)? These are very Italianate in idiom, beautiful and ultimately satisfying settings which should be heard much more often. Stanford could be very uneven, but certainly these two, and the Songs of the Fleet (preferably the Benjamin Luxon recording), are very immediate in their appeal.

Despite its reputation, and the fine Chandos recording, I don't much care for The Revenge (which sounds a bit stilted to me) and wish that they had taken the bull by the horns and tackled The Voyage of Maeldune (which is quite lovely) instead ...

::)
Report Spam   Logged

cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 06:40:12 pm »

I knew this would happen after posting that! :( :-[ I just put on the Chandos cd of his Sixth Symphony! The first track is the Irish Rhapsody No 1. As soon as it launched into 'Danny Boy' aka 'The Londonderry Air',I thought,'Aaagh! He's got me!!'
Lovely! :) :)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: