The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:38:20 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Barbirolli Conducts Arthur Benjamin Symphony and VW Symphony 4

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Barbirolli Conducts Arthur Benjamin Symphony and VW Symphony 4  (Read 751 times)
kyjo
« on: October 08, 2012, 08:52:49 pm »

This is a remastering of recordings made in 1948 (Benjamin) and 1950 (VW), released by the Barbirolli Society. It's always worth having more recordings of Arthur Benjamin's powerful, dark Symphony, especially by such a master as Barbirolli :). I've always found it a shame that Benjamin didn't write any more symphonies, as he proves to be a master of he form in this piece :(. The other piece on the disc is another, more well-known, wartime (well, in anticipation of the war, I guess) British symphony, the Vaughan Williams Fourth.
 :)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 01:44:44 am »

Thanks for drawing my attention to this, Kyjo. I have always loved the Benjamin symphony, especially the brooding opening. I like the fact it has no number, no key designation and no title, so it is just "Symphony", which is really rare. Almost every composer who wrote just one symphony called it "Symphony in G minor" or something or else "Colour Symphony" or something. I wish Benjamin had written more for the orchestra generally.
Report Spam   Logged
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 01:50:56 am »

...pre-ordered my copy!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: