The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 18, 2024, 10:42:45 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

George Hurst(1926-2012)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: George Hurst(1926-2012)  (Read 448 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« on: September 18, 2012, 04:21:53 pm »

I don't think that the death of George Hurst should go unnoticed on this forum.

Few outside Britain may have heard of that fine conductor because he was seldom used by record companies but he was highly influential in British musical circles. Although Sir Charles Groves had been principal conductor of the BBC Northern Symphony Orchestra in the late 1940s, by the time Hurst took over in 1958 the orchestra was in dire shape. It was Hurst who turned into the excellent orchestra which has now further developed, as the BBC Philharmonic, into one of the best in Britain and an orchestra regularly used by, for example, Chandos, to perform out of the way repertoire.

Hurst also founded the Bournemouth Sinfonietta(now sadly defunct) but it was his master-classes for conductors which really will be his lasting legacy. As the obituary in the Daily Telegraph points out Simon Rattle was inspired to become a conductor after hearing Hurst conduct the Mahler 2nd.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/culture-obituaries/music-obituaries/9549077/George-Hurst.html

Hurst is another of that generation of sound, reliable British conductors who ran or guest conducted regularly the BBC's regional orchestras(Norman Del Mar, Sir Edward Downes, Vernon Handley, Richard Hickox et al.) but who have now been mostly replaced by young conductors from abroad, frequently Russian.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 10:47:39 pm »

Gosh, how sad. I must admit I had no idea he was still alive! I assumed he'd died around the same time as Sargent and Barbirolli!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: