The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 20, 2024, 05:48:14 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Mahler's physiognomy

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mahler's physiognomy  (Read 627 times)
Reiner Torheit
« on: July 03, 2009, 03:49:27 pm »

A rather unusual viewpoint expressed in a considered way by David Schiff

in THE NATION
http://www.thenation.com/doc/20090713/schiff
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Roehre
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 10:46:45 pm »

Interesting article with a lot to think about.
My first (emphatically my FIRST) thought is, that the relationship between his music, especially the symphonies, and his physiognomy is one which hasn't been studied extensively previously, might contain some subconcious aspects and elements (the funeral marches as recurring theme e.g., as nicely and IMO convincingly  elaborated by Bernstein in his Drumming boy documentary from the mid 1980s), but doesn't take in account the resurrection which the 10th symphony's finale IMO defines.

It is important to mention here too, that the 10th symphony's 1st mvt cataclysm is an afterthought. It was inserted into that movement as an immedate reaction following the discovery of Alma's infidelity. Without this 12-note chord with that trumpet playing that high a, the movement gets a quite different character. Obviously les cataclysmic. But not only that: it becomes consolitory, as a kind of acceptance of the final dissolution as displayed in the ninth's finale.

this attack/contradicts IMO the structure of the main line of the article.

Sofar some first thoughts . I'll return to this theme .
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: