The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:07:37 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Gian Menotti - Apocalypse

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gian Menotti - Apocalypse  (Read 1304 times)
greek
Level 4

Times thanked: 15

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2022, 10:04:22 am »

Gian Menotti was born in Cadegliano in 1911.  In 1928 he began studies with Rosario Scalero at the Curtis Institute, where a close friendship with his fellow student Samuel Barber began. The two spent several summers in Europe attending opera performances in Vienna and in Italy. In 1973 Menotti, with his adopted son Francis, moved to Scotland.

One of his most striking of his non-vocal producations is the symphonic poem Apocalypse, which appeared in 1971.

https://ulozto.net/file/dfl7l6gYgiHa/menoapoc-zip

The password is "again".

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Saylor1957
Level 1

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2022, 02:27:35 pm »

I'm a great admirer of the works of Menotti.

Also from radio broadcasts, here is Shippers conducting the work a year later with the Boston Symphony:

Apocalypse Schippers Boston Sym 1967-03-09
https://www.mediafire.com/file/k9vplyk5oa3uabs/Menotti_-_Apocalypse_Schippers_Boston_Sym_1967-03-09.mp3/file

The opera, The Island God, was a 1942 commission from the MET and a work he later withdrew. Still, he allowed an aria, a duet, and these two interludes to be performed up through the 1960s. This work shows some interesting cross-fertilization going on here between Barber and Menotti's music. To my ears, the first interlude is influenced by Barber's 1st Essay for orchestra (1937) but the 2nd interlude sounds like it may have given some inspiration to Barber's 1946 Medea - in her the dance of vengence.

Two Interludes from The Island God (Stokowski NY Phil 1948-01-16 Carnegie Hall)
https://www.mediafire.com/file/4vqfnmeiuc1s23w/Menotti_-_Interludes_from_The_Island_God_%2528Stokowski_NY_Phil_1948-01-16_Carnegie_Hall%2529.mp3/file
Report Spam   Logged
Beorn
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2022, 05:14:21 pm »

Both being sexual degenerates, I do not think that this is a fit platform for discussion of either Menotti or Barber. Likewise Tchaikovsky, Britten and Tippett - they have no place in the atmosphere of freedom and delight.

Not being an English native-speaker, I cannot be totally sure. Yet, I’m pretty convinced that you infused in your post a generous amount
 of bitter irony...
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2022, 03:54:58 am »

A little known work

recent release
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2022, 03:47:49 pm »

Both being sexual degenerates, I do not think that this is a fit platform for discussion of either Menotti or Barber. Likewise Tchaikovsky, Britten and Tippett - they have no place in the atmosphere of freedom and delight.

Not being an English native-speaker, I cannot be totally sure. Yet, I’m pretty convinced that you infused in your post a generous amount
 of bitter irony...

What are the comments you are referring to Beorn? I can't see them in the thread...
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2022, 04:45:36 am »

It was on 14 june 2022

Finally, a Lombard Festival is born to celebrate one of the most important opera composers of the last century, Gian Carlo Menotti, in the provincial capital that gave him his birth. Originally from Cadegliano Viconago (Varese), Menotti is a classic example of nemo propheta in his homeland: much loved in the United States, famous all over the world, but still little performed in Italy. The Varese Estense Festival, now in its fifth edition, will change its face this year, dedicating a particular focus to the Varese composer.

Conceived by Serena Nardi, who also takes care of the artistic direction, the VEF this year sees the entry into the organizational team of the Canova Chamber Orchestra and its director and founder Enrico Saverio Pagano, who will also be entrusted with the direction of the two new opera productions: Cosi fan tutti by Mozart and Il Telefono / La medium by Menotti. Alongside the artists already mentioned, some of the most important performers on the international scene: mezzo-soprano Manuela Custer (already acclaimed protagonist of La medium in 2021 in numerous Italian theaters, who will return to play the role of the enigmatic Madame Flora also in Varese), the pianist Gloria Campaner, the violinist Gennaro Cardaropoli, as well as young emerging talents from the Italian opera scene involved in the two productions. In addition to the concerts and operas scheduled, there are also conferences with speakers of the caliber of Lidia Bramani and Fabio Vacchi, all in the heart of Varese between the Estensi Gardens and Villa Recalcati.

IMHO  reasons why it is rarely performed in Italy are: the refusal of the avant-garde and some personal issues
Report Spam   Logged
Saylor1957
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2022, 01:43:21 am »

Toby,

Thank you for this exciting information. I had not heard anything about this. I hope they will one day mount some of his lesser known works. Menotti had said that he wanted to spend his final days putting his works in order. Sadly, he never got around to that. Still, I believe it can be done with the help of some good engravers, editors, and proofreaders. Productions of these works I hope will allow that to happen. The Halcyon Days symphony has much that is good about it and just needs a clean set of parts and a thoughtful conductor.
Report Spam   Logged
joachim
Level 1

Times thanked: 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2023, 06:54:36 pm »

Thanks to Toby Esterhase for this splendid Missa O Pulchritudo, which I did not know.

The Symphonic poem in 3 parts The Apocalypse is magnificent, too
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2023, 04:15:45 am »

Thanks to Toby Esterhase for this splendid Missa O Pulchritudo, which I did not know.

The Symphonic poem in 3 parts The Apocalypse is magnificent, too

Sadly still underrated
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: