The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:54:53 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

The future of music notation software

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The future of music notation software  (Read 7058 times)
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2012, 09:25:24 am »

I've never used Finale, and got to Sibelius quite late...

An elderly colleague of mine - in her 80s now - uses Sibelius, and often seeks my help on it when she is stumped. I peer and peer, and eventually dispair :(  Whereas I find that even the most obscure tasks in Finale have a clear and instructive "Help" screen for them. Tuplets are simplicity - you just set 'how many' and the note-duration, and you can enter your noteheads immediately... they engrave neatly-proportioned. I was putting in some 17ths last week - all quite straightforward.  I agree that perhaps the instrument sounds (even with the new sound-palette in the latest release) are a bit parpy, and the dynamic gradations can be lumpy in marked crescendos - but these are things which only bother people who are working towards a 'virtual performance". Personally I'm using Finale as an arranger's tool, to score ensemble and orchestral parts, and print them out for performance by live musicians. (Part-printing is one of Finale's real strengths - extract and print in one operation).  In the final analysis, I agree, Finale began as a jazzbo and band-master application, and its allegiances are still in those fields. I think I began using Finale mainly because it's the favoured programme in Russia, where I live - and everyone passes around their files and parts in that format.

The only main thing I have never achieved in Finale is creating non-mensural notation, without time-sigs or barlines (except where I wish to impose an editorial barline) - for example, for writing out plainchant with stemless noteheads (which I have to do, on occasion).
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: