The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:40:44 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Upcoming Naxos Releases?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming Naxos Releases?  (Read 1845 times)
kyjo
« on: September 12, 2012, 08:53:36 pm »

You will notice that I included a question mark at the end of my subject title because I have known that these releases have been scheduled for release by Naxos, but I'm not sure when ???. Can anyone help me?

-Marcel Tyberg: Symphony no. 2 and Piano Sonata: Having enjoyed his recently-recorded Symphony no. 3, I've been on the lookout for this release (it's been mentioned on the Naxos website, so that's a start), but haven't seen many signs of a CD materializing anytime soon. All I know is that Joann LaFaletta is involved.

-Joachim Eggert Symphonies 1-4: Yeah, I'm not the greatest fan of music from Eggert's time, but it still interests me. These recordings have been discussed for a while now, where are they?

-Ignaz Waghalter: Violin Concerto and Rhapsody for violin and orchestra: This one I'm more certain about. It should be released sometime this fall :).

-Paul Juon: Orchestral Music:  A series of Juon's orchestral music was discussed previously, but I haven't seen any signs of it on the Naxos website ???.

You don't have to tell me the exact dates of releases; I just want to make sure that these CDs will be released sometime in the near future ;D!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 10:11:34 pm »

This is not a reply to your questions unfortunately.......

but mention of JoAnn Falletta and her enterprising choice of repertoire makes me think how much better she might have been as the conductor for Naxos to go to for their aborted Roy Harris series. Marin Alsop-so very obviously-had no interest ti the music :(
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 02:04:45 am »

Yes, I was rather disappointed Alsop took no further interest in Harris, but, on the bright side, all the symphonies 1-9 and 11 have been recorded on CD! I assume the very poor quality (What was Harris thinking :(? He proved to be a master of symphonic writing in Symphony 3, especially.) of Harris' Symphonies 10, 12, and 13 in some ways contributed to the abortion of the series.
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 02:27:22 am »

The Harris 10th and 12th are not too bad but they each require a narrator or soloist or chorus. Too many words.  The 13th is a total disaster!  Aimless, tacky, uninspired and tired. He should have stopped.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 03:10:09 am »

He certainly should :( :(

The 10th and 12th are-I still have to say-pretty poor compared to what went before but, I agree, the 13th is just plain dreadful :( :(
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 01:36:02 pm »

I think I must have spent hundreds,or even thousands of words,in a string of posts on the Roy Harris thread at the GMG forum,trying to defend the 'other' Roy Harris symphonies. I tried to come up with a good case for them twice & always came back to the same conclusions,ie that No 3 was the best,followed by No 6 & No 7,followed by No 5! Also,No 11 & possibly No 8 might have something going for them! No 6 DID seem to get more favourable posts than any of the others,but ONLY in the Pacific So recording! I got the feeling No 7 had the potential to make more 'friends' if it was available in a first rate performance & state of the art recording. Viewed as a retread of the 3rd by some,if you stick with it,there are some very imposing & arresting ideas there & a genuinely thrilling conclusion. The quieter,more reflective parts of No 5 have some very beautiful orchestration,but the only decent recording is decades old!
No's 8 & 11 were singled out as evidence that Harris was capable of doing something a little different! But what the hell happened between No 9 & 11,I really don't know?!!! As to orchestral music with speech,to be fair to Harris it never really works for me,anyway!
Incidentally,defending Harris isn't much fun,I can tell you! Some people really do think 'Roy Harris is No 3 & the rest is crap!' And they make sure you know it! :( :o
The main problem with Harris,imho,is lack of variety! (And I DO like some of the others!) Also,quite frankly,after a few Harris symphonies in succession,all that tub thumping patriotism can get to one a bit! :o
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 02:39:30 pm »

There is little real need to add to your "thousands of words" ;D

You have summed up the situation very neatly imo ;D
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 03:00:47 pm »

There is little real need to add to your "thousands of words" ;D

You have summed up the situation very neatly imo ;D
;D Thank you,very kindly Dundonnell! ;D And do you know the saddest thing about all of this? It took me thousands of words to come to exactly the same conclusion! :( ;D
Report Spam   Logged
erato
Level 2

Times thanked: 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 09:42:57 pm »

Weinberg's 19th symphony is in the new release listings at mdt.co.uk.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 11:00:34 pm »

Thanks for the information, erato :)!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 01:44:13 am »

Weinberg's 19th symphony is in the new release listings at mdt.co.uk.

Ah. I have that symphony already on the old Olympia label. I was kind of hoping for one of the unrecorded ones ;D  But I realise that a lot of Weinberg admirers will not have managed to pick up that particular cd.
Report Spam   Logged
suffolkcoastal
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 01:47:30 pm »

As UC members may recall, Roy Harris's music is an area of considerable interest to me. I have recordings of around 75% of his output and have or had access to a number of his works in score.
Harris has suffered perhaps more than any other composer I can think of from poor recorded performances. With Harris, the conductor and orchestra must be absolutely convinced of Harris's vision, anything remotely half-hearted just doesn't come off.
Naxos have had a tendency to give up on projects recently. The Naxos Harris performances are variable. The recording of the 3rd is poor, though complete without the small cuts (infact all three complete performance I've heard have been poor), the 4th ok, the 5th the best of their recordings and with the 1st movement cuts restored (the one blemish being the horns in the final bar do not complete their upward phrase for some accountable reason), the 6th not bad but no match for the Pacific Symphony Orchestra on Albany, the 7th a bit rough and no match for the classic Ormandy recording, the 9th ok but the Albany recording is better.
The Albany recordings serve Harris better, the 2nd is good, the 6th is very good and committed, 8th & 9th also good (though I must upload Kubelik's performance of the latter which is superb), the 11th isn't bad either though the piano figuration is incorrectly articulated at the start and the orchestra could do with more strings.
The 10th and 12th Symphonies aren't that bad, but agree about the 13th, however there is only the amateur performance to judge. The one symphony that is in desperate need of a modern recording is the 1st (1933). It was the first American symphony to be recorded (by Koussevitsky), but apart from the later just about passable (though with small cuts) Louisville recording has been recorded since. This symphony is among the most imaginative and impressive of Harris's early works, despite much of the material being culled from an earlier symphonic attempt and his 1st String Quartet.
I would make a case for Harris's chamber music, neither the impressive Piano Trio or Concerto for Clarinet, Piano & String Quartet have been issued on CD, and the moving Cello Sonata only appears in its later revised and severely truncated form as a Duo.
Hardly any of his lighter smaller works have been commercially recorded, the 1st Piano Concerto is very entertaining, and some of his short folk like choral works have similarly been ignored.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 03:35:28 pm »

You are, of course, absolutely correct in your statement that Harris requires a conductor who possesses total conviction in the music.

Marin Alsop may have seemed an obvious choice after her Samuel Barber series-which contained some pretty good performances-but it seems to me that her approach was tentative and, therefore, uninspiring. The symphonies need to be delivered with brio, panache, swaggering self-confidence (call it what you will) and Alsop simply fails to deliver :(

It would be interesting to know exactly why Naxos seem to have abandoned the planned series. The less than positive reviews ??? Alsop's own disinclination to continue ???
There is someone I can ask who will know the answer ;D

That is why I suggested JoAnn Falletta. She appears to be doing good work in Buffalo but is spread too far with music directorships there and with the Virginia Symphony Orchestra, the Hawaii Symphony Orchestra and the Ulster Orchestra. Four jobs at once ::) ::)

An alternative would be David Allan Miller in Albany but the company there have a very strange view of repertoire to issue ::)

The sad fact is that the days when great conductors of American orchestras-whether native-born like Bernstein or the Koussevitskys of this world-would promote American symphonic music with great enthusiasm are gone :( :(
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 11:28:12 pm »

A few new releases have appeared on the Naxos website, including the Waghalter disc ;D! Here they are (there are others, but they do not appeal to me as much):

-The American Trumpet (contemporary pieces for trumpet and orchestra): Leo Eybar: Dance Suite; Steve Rouse: The Avatar: Enigma-Release (arr. for trumpet and string orchestra); Robert Starer: Invocation; Steven Sondheim/arr. by William Thomas McKinley for trumpet and string orchestra: "Johanna" and "Not While I'm Around" from Sweeney Todd; John Carbon: Notturno; William Thomas McKinley: Miniature Portraits; David Froom: Serenade (Jeffrey Silberschalg, trumpet; Seattle Symphony/Gerard Schwarz)

-Iwan Muller (1786-1854, maybe a little to early for this forum, but...): Clarinet Quartets nos. 1 in B-flat and 2 in E minor+shorter pieces for clarinet and piano (Friederike Roth, clarinet; Erika le Roux, piano; Wenzel Fuchs, clarinet; Berolina Ensemble)

-Ignatz Waghalter: Violin Concerto in A major; Rhapsody for violin and orchestra; Violin Sonata in F minor;
Idyll for violin and piano; "Confession" for violin and piano (Irmina Trynkos, violin; Giorgi Latsobidze, piano;  RPO/Alexander Walker)
 :)

Report Spam   Logged
suffolkcoastal
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 01:20:30 pm »

Yes, Albany's choice of repertoire is very odd at times to say the least. David Alan Miller would probably be the best conductor to record the rest of the Harris symphonies, I think he would be excellent in No 1. It's a pity Keith Clark just recorded the 6th, as this is a committed performance and he was a pupil of Harris.
Naxos's releases of American repertoire have been rather bizarre, a fair bit has been of the music of complete non-entities that should never have been recorded in the first place, others have just been re-releases from the old Delos catalogue.
Harris is, along with David Diamond, one of the few significant 20th century symphonists yet to have all their symphonies commercially recorded.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: