The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 20, 2024, 09:27:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Upcoming Naxos Releases?

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming Naxos Releases?  (Read 1847 times)
britishcomposer
Level 3

Times thanked: 36

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2012, 01:25:37 pm »

I have just read an entry in my diary of twenty years ago that Leonard Bernstein had signed a contract with DGG to record the complete Harris symphonies shortly before his death. Can anyone confirme this? Sounds unbelieveable.
Report Spam   Logged
suffolkcoastal
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2012, 01:35:55 pm »

In all my research on Harris I wasn't aware that Bernstein had signed a contract to record the Harris symphonies with DGG. Mind you knowing late Bernstein recordings and their tendency for being on the slow side with exaggerated tempi some of the Harris symphonies may not have fared too well. But I would have loved to have heard a Bernstein recording of the 7th (Harris's greatest symphony IMO).
Report Spam   Logged
britishcomposer
Level 3

Times thanked: 36

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2012, 01:45:03 pm »

Well, all I have is this diary entry and that's no proof. I didn't mention the source and, as I said, it sounds highly unbelievable, esp that DGG should be involved.
Report Spam   Logged
guest264
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2014, 10:41:32 pm »

Anyone know what is happening with the Paul Juon orchestral works releases on Naxos?

I see it forecast in 2012 on:
http://www.christof-escher.com/en/

and before Christmas the Paul Juon society were forecasting release early in 2013

http://www.juon.org/0.IJGHomePage_en.html

Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2014, 10:55:35 pm »

I can tell you that Alexander Walker and the New Russia State Symphony Orchestra will be recording Havergal Brian's Symphonies Nos. 6, 28, 29 and 31 for Naxos in late May of this year.

There are already commercial recordings of Nos. 6(Lyrita) and 31 (EMI) but Nos. 28 and 29 will plug two more gaps in the Brian symphonic discography.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2014, 11:27:02 pm »

I can tell you that Alexander Walker and the New Russia State Symphony Orchestra will be recording Havergal Brian's Symphonies Nos. 6, 28, 29 and 31 for Naxos in late May of this year.

There are already commercial recordings of Nos. 6(Lyrita) and 31 (EMI) but Nos. 28 and 29 will plug two more gaps in the Brian symphonic discography.
Thnaks, that's good news for completionists like myself..
Brian, Slonimski, Segerstam and Hovhaness have been tough nuts to crack
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: