The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 16, 2024, 07:59:20 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Edvard Grieg (1843-1907)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Edvard Grieg (1843-1907)  (Read 170 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« on: June 16, 2022, 12:59:26 pm »

Grieg: String Quartets / Chilingirian Quartet    Hyperion

One of my favourite composers! I can't think of a single piece of music I haven't enjoyed by Edvard Grieg! Indeed his incidental music for Peer Gynt is one of my favourite pieces of music ever and I have multiple recordings. I like his Piano Concerto,but I tend to agree that he was at his best when his imagination was unrestricted by such convention's of form. That said,he still came up with one of the greatest,most popular & tuneful concertos ever written. So pretty good going,when you think about it?!! And it got to appear on the Morecambe and Wise show!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest822
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2022, 01:07:04 pm »

Grieg: String Quartets / Chilingirian Quartet    Hyperion

One of my favourite composers! I can't think of a single piece of music I haven't enjoyed by Edvard Grieg! Indeed his incidental music for Peer Gynt is one of my favourite pieces of music ever and I have multiple recordings. I like his Piano Concerto,but I tend to agree that he was at his best when his imagination was unrestricted by such convention's of form. That said,he still came up with one of the greatest,most popular & tuneful concertos ever written. So pretty good going,when you think about it?!! And it got to appear on the Morecambe and Wise show!

I do so agree with you. Contrary to what some would have us believe, Grieg was no petit-maître. For one thing, he was a superb melodist.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2022, 01:21:52 pm »

Indeed! One of the problem's with allot of the,admittedly,very enjoyable Piano Concerto's I've listened to (I admit to enjoying all the keyboard wizardry,heroics & glamour) is the lack of a a really good tune,or even one,at all!) but the Grieg has one of the best & most memorable tunes ever written by any composer. One of the most arresting openings ever! And it's very well (indeed,beautifully) constructed! I sound like an engineer saying that;but even if you're not a musician you know when something meanders (like my posts!). And I don't,necessarily,mean as badly as Draeseke! ::)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: