The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:38:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

John Ireland from John Wilson

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: John Ireland from John Wilson  (Read 277 times)
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« on: June 10, 2022, 10:16:32 am »

This looks rather good...

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2022/Jun/Ireland-orchestral-CHSA5293.htm

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

britishcomposer
Level 3

Times thanked: 36

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2022, 06:02:21 pm »

John Wilson has done some thrilling recordings for Chandos but he already recorded an Ireland disc with the Hallé before. I confess I was a bit disappointed with his take on Satyricon. The Hickox discs were my first encounter with Ireland in the early 90s. He probably took some licence with the tempo in the middle section of Satyricon but to me this added real romance to the piece. Listening to Wilson his straight approach left me cold. The playing was of course unquestionably great but along with the Chandos acoustics Hickox did it for me. I am tempted to try this new Wilson/Chandos but...
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2022, 06:11:58 pm »

John Wilson has done some thrilling recordings for Chandos but he already recorded an Ireland disc with the Hallé before. I confess I was a bit disappointed with his take on Satyricon. The Hickox discs were my first encounter with Ireland in the early 90s. He probably took some licence with the tempo in the middle section of Satyricon but to me this added real romance to the piece. Listening to Wilson his straight approach left me cold. The playing was of course unquestionably great but along with the Chandos acoustics Hickox did it for me. I am tempted to try this new Wilson/Chandos but...

I think it was Boult on Lyrita who first did John Ireland's orchestral works great favours, and his recordings still stand up well (to say that the Piano Concerto was once so hugely popular it's never heard now). My favourite work is The Forgotten Rite, it reminds me somewhat of Bax at his most mysterious. I may give this new Chandos disc a spin simply because I greatly admire both composer and conductor, but I wish that he and Chandos would get back to exploring previously-unrecorded British repertoire...

Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
guest822
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2022, 06:48:52 pm »

I think it was Boult on Lyrita who first did John Ireland's orchestral works great favours, and his recordings still stand up well (to say that the Piano Concerto was once so hugely popular it's never heard now). My favourite work is The Forgotten Rite, it reminds me somewhat of Bax at his most mysterious. I may give this new Chandos disc a spin simply because I greatly admire both composer and conductor, but I wish that he and Chandos would get back to exploring previously-unrecorded British repertoire...

I have recordings by Barbirolli and the Hallé of Mai-Dun and The Forgotten Rite but they date, I think, from the early 1950s and so while they are fine interpretations, the 'fi' is far from 'hi'.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2022, 06:54:53 pm »

I have recordings by Barbirolli and the Hallé of Mai-Dun and The Forgotten Rite but they date, I think, from the early 1950s and so while they are fine interpretations, the 'fi' is far from 'hi'.

Alas, my "fi" is far from "hi", though it's currently rather pleasantly numbed to the horrors by several 9% Karpackies...

Report Spam   Logged

cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2022, 02:40:31 am »

The recordings by Barbirolli are,actually,my favourite's! The ancient old mono recordings just seem to add a degree of atmosphere that makes them my first port of call,even above Boult! This goes for These Things Shall Be,as well! In fact,that's probably the only recording I really enjoy of that work! His recording of Bax's Third Symphony is also the best recording of any Bax symphony ever,imho (as they say!). And I say that as a self confessed Baxian! (I even like Winter Legends :o,which someone at the GMG described as sounding like woolly mammoths (leaping about! ŕ la,Beecham,I suppose?!*) Of course,this is all yet more evidence that I'm obviously heading for the knackers yard (Like Ginger in Black Beauty!) :(

* On Beethoven's Seventh: "It's like a lot of yaks jumping around!"!
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2022, 12:26:53 pm »

I have the Naxos recording. This is also on my list to get.  Thanks
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: