The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:24:05 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Anton Rubinstein (1829-1894)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anton Rubinstein (1829-1894)  (Read 281 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2022, 07:18:55 pm »

I'll have to look out for those,Santo! I just,this last week,bought the Hyperion cd's of his solo piano music,which appear's to have some admirer's,online!

Some people may think I'm just wasting my time with the music of this man. Yet,there's no doubt he was a very important figure in music,during his lifetime. He was,indeed,considered the greatest pianist,next to Franz Liszt. And his music was widely performed! The fact that the music of such a great musician has attracted so much bile makes him all the more intriguing as far as I'm concerned. And,there's no doubt,that some of his music is rated highly,in some quarters. For example! The Fourth Piano Concerto has had it's champions. And there are those who think it's up there with the best! I'm not sure I agree with that? But,I did enjoy listening to it recently. And I can certainly think of Piano Concertos that are allot worse! (A really knock out tune might have helped?!) I actually preferred his first two Piano Concertos,when I listened to them,this last week! And then there's The Demon,which is generally considered his greatest work. Indeed,there are some who regard it as a masterpiece! Unforunately,I haven't heard it,so I can't comment! And judging by some of the reviews I read,there are some who regard his solo piano music very highly indeed! I haven't received the cd's I bought,so I can't comment,as yet! But some of it is very,ambitious,and some of the reviews I have read make me very keen to hear it! The sub-standard quality of some of the recordings of his orchestral music don't exactly help! The MDG recording of his "Ocean" Symphony,which I received last week,shows what a difference a decent recording can make! Fortunately,the Marco Polo performances of his Piano Concertos appear to be allot better. There is also a very good recording of the Fourth Piano Concerto on the Decca label,played by Cherkassky. (I haven't heard the Hyperion recording!) The Centaur cd of Symphonies 3 and 5 struck me as a tad better than the one on the Marco Polo label;and is worth getting hold of if you can find a cheap copy (as I did!) But,the symphonies really do need first rate recordings from a top-notch label,like Cpo or Hyperion (or MDG?). Cpo do seem to be showing some interest in his music,of late,so there is some reason to remain hopeful!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: