The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:04:54 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Vítězslav Novák

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vítězslav Novák  (Read 480 times)
greek
Level 4

Times thanked: 15

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2022, 06:46:54 am »

Vítězslav Novák was born at Kamenice nad Lipou in 1870.

Here is his symphonic poem De Profundis, for large orchestra and organ, opus 67, which appeared in 1941.

Remarkable in its muscular counterpoint, it is one of the most potent artistic responses to political events to come from the region.

It comes in three sections:

I. Largo lugubre - Appassionato doloroso - Tempo del principio
II. Meno (largo), molto tranquillo
III. Grandioso

The B.B.C. Philharmonic Orchestra was directed by Libor Pešek.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Vandermolen
Level 4

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2022, 09:01:12 am »

It is a profoundly moving work, bravely composed during the Nazi occupation. The South Bohemian Suite is another such work with a defiant political sub-text. I don't agree with the widely held belief that all Novak's greatest works were composed early in his musical career. My favourites come from towards the end of his life. Although not a tone poem we badly need a new recording of his masterpiece 'The Storm' (which is an earlier work).
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2022, 01:46:39 pm »

It is a profoundly moving work, bravely composed during the Nazi occupation. The South Bohemian Suite is another such work with a defiant political sub-text. I don't agree with the widely held belief that all Novak's greatest works were composed early in his musical career. My favourites come from towards the end of his life. Although not a tone poem we badly need a new recording of his masterpiece 'The Storm' (which is an earlier work).

Novak is not a composer that I know at all (my knowledge of Czech music is pretty much limited to Smetana, Dvorak, Fibich and Martinu). Where should I begin, and is there at least a decent recording of The Storm?

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Vandermolen
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2022, 05:06:33 pm »

Novak is not a composer that I know at all (my knowledge of Czech music is pretty much limited to Smetana, Dvorak, Fibich and Martinu). Where should I begin, and is there at least a decent recording of The Storm?

Only two recordings of The Storm AFAIK - both on Supraphon. You could start with the engaging and moving South Bohemian Suite, or the better known Slovak Suite or the gloomy war-time tone poem De Profundis (which has a powerfully redemptive ending). I also like the tone poem 'In The Tatras' and there is some fine chamber music including a piano quintet.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2022, 05:21:34 pm »

Only two recordings of The Storm AFAIK - both on Supraphon. You could start with the engaging and moving South Bohemian Suite, or the better known Slovak Suite or the gloomy war-time tone poem De Profundis (which has a powerfully redemptive ending). I also like the tone poem 'In The Tatras' and there is some fine chamber music including a piano quintet.

Great, thanks very much!

Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Vandermolen
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2022, 09:12:21 am »

Great, thanks very much!

My pleasure  :)
Report Spam   Logged
britishcomposer
Level 3

Times thanked: 36

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2022, 04:22:03 pm »

I would also recommend the Slovakian Suite Op 32. The modal soundworld has some links with British music  of its time. It is very fresh and original and quite touching.
I consider the 2nd String Quartet a great work. An endless stream of passionate melody tinged with deep melancholy.
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2022, 05:53:48 pm »

I would also recommend the Slovakian Suite Op 32. The modal soundworld has some links with British music  of its time. It is very fresh and original and quite touching.
I consider the 2nd String Quartet a great work. An endless stream of passionate melody tinged with deep melancholy.
I agree - those are both fine works.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: