The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:46:53 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

New Duttons for October

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Duttons for October  (Read 3457 times)
tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« on: September 11, 2012, 07:53:30 am »

CDLX
 Yates/RSNO
 Alan Bush - Dance Overture/Lascaux Symphony/Dorian Passacaglia
 765387 729424

CDLX
 Bell/Harvey/BBC CO/Chase
 Arnold Bax - Phantasy/RVW - Suite/Theodore Holland - Ellingham Marshes/Richard Harvey - Reflections
 765387 729523

CDLX
 Brabbins/RSNO/McAslan
 Havergal Brian - Violin Concerto/Symphony No.13/English Suite No.4/Overture: The Tinker's Wedding
 765387 729622

CDLX
 Corp/NLO/NLCC/Daniel/McAslan/Gregory
 British Light Music Premieres Vol.7: Michael Hurd - Orchestral and Choral Music
 765387 729721

CDLX
 Yates/RSNO
 Georgy Catoire - Symphony in C minor/Felix Blumenfeld - Symphony in C minor
 765387 729820

CDLX
 Yates/RSNO
 Richard Arnell - Sinfonia/Dagenham Symphony/Landscapes and Figures

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 09:39:25 am »

One of the best selections in a while! Especially excited about the Bush and Brian, but I imagine I'll be getting them all, as usual.
Report Spam   Logged
J.Z. Herrenberg
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 10:56:10 am »

Thanks, Tapiola! Can't wait for one particular item there...
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 11:55:49 am »

Wow! Those sure look like winners to me ;D! The Catoire symphony at last on CD-and coupled with none other than the gushingly romantic, Tchaikovskian Blumenfeld symphony! The Alan Bush disc also looks very interesting. Thanks a lot, Tapiola!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 12:10:28 pm »

We're raving about the Brian cd on the GMG's HB thread right now....and it hasn't even been released yet!!
The others sounds interesting,but I'm going to have to find out a bit more,first! Dutton's interest in Bush brings hope that they might investigate some more demanding fare in the future eg Daniel Jones!!! I live in hope! ;D
No Holbrooke,though! :( ;D Maybe next time (and Bate,please! :))
Fricker's pile driver third symphony would be fantastic!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 01:25:34 pm »

Yes indeed :)

A better selection of British music Dutton has put out than in recent releases.

Delighted to see the Alan Bush Symphony No.4, the Havergal Brian 13th and English Suite No.4 and the Bax Phantasy for Viola and Orchestra.

These all plugs important gaps in the recorded repertoire.

Three questions though-

(a) an RVW Suite ??? What would that be ??? With the recent release of the early Bucolic Suite and the Serenade I thought that the only remaining early RVW was the Symphonic Rhapsody of 1901-03.

(b) Arnell's Dagenham Symphony ??? ??? Not a work which appears in my Arnell catalogue ::)

(c) What on earth has happened to the recording-last summer-of the David Matthews Symphony 7 with the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra under John Carewe ??? ??? Dutton normally release music they have recorded with a few months.

PS:

I can answer my own question (b) ;D

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/richard-arnell-unjustly-neglected-composer-who-has-found-a-new-audience-through-recent-recordings-1681850.html
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 02:08:00 pm »

Inspired by a visit to the cave paintings at 'Lascaux' (Had a look at the Alan Bush website). This sounds very intriguing. (I have his Piano Concerto and I must admit,it's a bit on the astringent,thorny side for me). But that's just me,of course! And what did I expect? York Bowen?!! ;D
Report Spam   Logged
patmos.beje
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 03:17:03 pm »

The CD of works for Viola and Orchestra most appeals to me.

A good recording of the Vaughan William's Suite of 1933/34 was recently released by Hyperion with Flos Campi and the premiere recording of the McEwen Viola Concerto.

The Bax Phantasy is a wonderful piece, with a gorgeous middle movement based on an Irish folksong.  The only other available recording, coupled with the Tertis version for Viola of Elgar's Cello Concerto [Conifer] has long been out of print though it can still be purchased second hand.  Another recording is most welcome.

The Theodore Holland and Richard Harvey works look intriguing.

Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 04:12:15 pm »

Right, Question (a) answered ;D  The Suite for Viola.
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 04:13:50 am »

Arnell's Dagenham Symphony (1952) is actually from a film score about a Ford plant opening (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Dagenham). They cobbled together all the sections with Arnell's sanction.
The Sinfonia (1938) was written in London before he left for the US.  His daughter gave it to Martin Yates when she came over for the funeral. Her mother (I think Arnell's first wife) had it stuffed in a box in Nebraska. So, it's a sizeable completely new work!
I should find out about the Matthews' 7th shortly (I hope).
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 01:24:00 pm »

David Matthews' 7th Symphony will be released late next year coupled with "Vespers" per the composer.
Report Spam   Logged
suffolkcoastal
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 01:30:17 pm »

The Brian and Bush sound interesting.

The only Vaughan Williams orchestral music that hasn't been recorded is The Solent and Harnham Down, plus the Symphonic Rhapsody (though I'm not sure whether the score is lost) and a couple of early incomplete tone poems from The Solent period. I believe the Albion label is planning to record The Solent, this is an important early transitional work so its recording and release in well overdue.

It would be good if Dutton were to record the complete Vaughan Williams piano music complete, a lot of which was once and only available on a long deleted phoenix LP.
Report Spam   Logged
guest251
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 04:56:43 pm »

These new releases are now on the Dutton website and can be ordered. They are not immediately visible, but just type in the CD numbers helpfully supplied by Tapiola above into the "search" box and you will get each one with a button to click to add to cart. Can't wait!!
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 05:02:06 pm »

Also, if you search under the composers last name (Bush, Bax, Arnell etc) and go down the page you'll find them.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 07:53:47 pm »

The CDs are now listed on Dutton's home page: http://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/
 :)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: