The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:22:54 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

New Duttons for October

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Duttons for October  (Read 3459 times)
guest128
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2018, 07:30:36 am »

Trifles.  What a disappointment given all the substantial works by other composers they could have chosen.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2018, 02:14:02 pm »

Trifles.  What a disappointment given all the substantial works by other composers they could have chosen.

Well.....this time we are in full agreement ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2018, 02:56:29 pm »

Well.....this time we are in full agreement ;D
+1
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2019, 07:37:58 am »

Sometimes some light music is just what one wants.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2019, 10:30:16 am »

Perfectly true but it is increasingly clear that Dutton's focus had changed somewhat. There is more concentration on issuing music which is of a "lighter" nature or music which has been recorded by other companies in alternative versions. I know that I used to buy perhaps 3 new releases from every batch, now it would be one only. The days of getting the complete symphonies of Richard Arnell- for example- seem to be gone.

It was Dutton who recorded the David Matthews Symphonies Nos. 1-3 and 5-7 but Nos. 8 and 9 have been recorded by Chandos and Nimbus respectively.

However, if Dutton feel that they can sell what they produce then that obviously is the most important consideration for them and I have to accept that.
Report Spam   Logged
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2019, 11:39:55 am »

Well I must admit that I bought the Wood (as I always buy everything they release), but have only listened to it once and can't imagine anyone finding it a thrill. On the other hand, Dutton have released a lot of substantial works in the last year: the early Stanford concertos (a wonderful revelation in my opinion), The Light of the World, The Vision of Cleopatra, The Mountebanks. The latter may be "light", but it is a memorable and revealing score and in a different league from these light music suites of Wood or Foulds. I think we may still hope for some wonderful things from Dutton.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2019, 12:49:28 pm »

It does rather depend on your definition of "wonderful" though, doesn't it. The music you list all comes from before 1914. I respect the judgment of others and that tastes differ but Dutton do seem to have pulled away from the mid to late 20th century.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2019, 04:53:29 pm »

Well I must admit that I bought the Wood (as I always buy everything they release), but have only listened to it once and can't imagine anyone finding it a thrill. On the other hand, Dutton have released a lot of substantial works in the last year: the early Stanford concertos (a wonderful revelation in my opinion), The Light of the World, The Vision of Cleopatra, The Mountebanks. The latter may be "light", but it is a memorable and revealing score and in a different league from these light music suites of Wood or Foulds. I think we may still hope for some wonderful things from Dutton.

Yes, Jamie. I agree that there have been a number of what I would regard as major releases, amongst those listed above I would include the lovely Ina Boyle disc. With Sullivan's "Haddon Hall" just recorded and "The Martyr of Antioch" scheduled as the next project it is clear that there are sales to be had in this repertoire. Dutton has done wonderful things for British music (Alan Bush, Richard Arnell, Stanley Bate, York Bowen, Cyril Scott, early Vaughan Williams, John Foulds, Havergal Brian, etc., etc.). As long as they keep issuing discs of comparable quality they will have my support and best wishes.

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2019, 01:21:45 pm »

Haddon Hall is great! I have the Prince Consort (I think? The sets in a box,somewhere?). It's supposed to be one of their better performances. If not,their best. It has some enthusiastic reviews on the web. It is rather good,too. At least to my ears! I love that Scottish character!
I wish someone would also give us a really good recording of one of my favourite,of all,English operettas. The Arcadians;which has been described,jusifiably,as,Gilbert and Sullivan meets the Music Hall! The old emi recording,of highlights,which has the best singing (overall),is a bit staid. I actually quite like the Ohio Light Opera recording;uneven as it is. The women are very good (the men,less so! ::)!) and you get the dialogue (the plot is potty,but fun!). (All together! "All Down,Picadilly,Picadilly.........!!" ;D) And it does at least,capture some of the fun!
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2019, 11:45:27 pm »

Haddon Hall is great! I have the Prince Consort (I think? The sets in a box,somewhere?). It's supposed to be one of their better performances. If not,their best. It has some enthusiastic reviews on the web. It is rather good,too. At least to my ears! I love that Scottish character!

Indeed it is a superb score by Sullivan, composed during one of the most serious bouts of ill-health that he suffered (1892). In anticipation of the forthcoming Dutton discs I can strongly recommend the professional recording from the 2018 Harrogate Festival, the production of which is also available as a DVD:

http://www.gsfestivals.org/product/haddon-hall-cd-the-national-gs-opera-company-2018/

Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2019, 12:15:25 am »

I am genuinely delighted that others can take such pleasure from these releases and from the prospect of further releases of Sullivan's music.

John lists a number of composers whose music has been recorded by Dutton. He is quite right to do so. My impression-and I hope I am wrong-is that Dutton has rather lost interest in widening its mid-20th century repertoire.

However....my point has been made and I shall shut up ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2019, 12:32:06 am »

My impression-and I hope I am wrong-is that Dutton has rather lost interest in widening its mid-20th century repertoire.

I sincerely hope that this isn't the case, but in terms of sales ...? There are so many British works that remain unrecorded and unplayed. Between them Dutton and Lyrita seem to be tip-toeing through the repertoire at the moment, but at least both are still in business. There are numerous discs that I could personally create from the Itter Archive, but whether anyone else would purchase them...

:D
Report Spam   Logged

Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2019, 01:14:11 am »

My impression-and I hope I am wrong-is that Dutton has rather lost interest in widening its mid-20th century repertoire.

I sincerely hope that this isn't the case, but in terms of sales ...? There are so many British works that remain unrecorded and unplayed. Between them Dutton and Lyrita seem to be tip-toeing through the repertoire at the moment, but at least both are still in business. There are numerous discs that I could personally create from the Itter Archive, but whether anyone else would purchase them...

:D

Yes, John, we could certainly create our own record label and start issuing discs but I think that the BBC lawyers would have us in court pretty dandelion quickly!!!

(Apparently I can't say d**n ! It is rendered "dandelion". Astonishing!!)
Report Spam   Logged
jimmatt
Level 2

Times thanked: 8

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2019, 08:03:45 am »

Dandelion, I say, Dandelion!!!
Report Spam   Logged
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2019, 10:00:03 am »

Yes, Jamie. I agree that there have been a number of what I would regard as major releases, amongst those listed above I would include the lovely Ina Boyle disc. With Sullivan's "Haddon Hall" just recorded and "The Martyr of Antioch" scheduled as the next project it is clear that there are sales to be had in this repertoire. Dutton has done wonderful things for British music (Alan Bush, Richard Arnell, Stanley Bate, York Bowen, Cyril Scott, early Vaughan Williams, John Foulds, Havergal Brian, etc., etc.). As long as they keep issuing discs of comparable quality they will have my support and best wishes.

Oh yes, I'd forgotten to mention the Boyle, which was most welcome too!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: