The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:20:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Coleridge-Taylor Chamber Music

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coleridge-Taylor Chamber Music  (Read 321 times)
guest822
« on: May 07, 2022, 02:42:06 pm »

Forthcoming on 27 May from Chandos: SC-T's Piano Quintet, Piano Trio and Nonet https://www.chandos.net/products/catalogue/CHAN%2020242

The resurgence in popularity of SC-T's music continues apace. While it's entirely merited, I still have to pinch myself every time a new release is announced. When I first started plugging his music forty-odd years ago, I never thought I'd live to see the day when we have two commercial recordings of both the Nonet and the Piano Trio and no fewer than four of the Piano Quintet! I also have it on good authority that the first recording to be produced by the Chineke! Orchestra under their new deal with Decca, will include SC-T's Violin Concerto (as well as a piece by his daughter, Avril). That'll be the fifth commercial recording of it. Happy days!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2022, 04:41:54 pm »

Forthcoming on 27 May from Chandos: SC-T's Piano Quintet, Piano Trio and Nonet https://www.chandos.net/products/catalogue/CHAN%2020242

The resurgence in popularity of SC-T's music continues apace. While it's entirely merited, I still have to pinch myself every time a new release is announced. When I first started plugging his music forty-odd years ago, I never thought I'd live to see the day when we have two commercial recordings of both the Nonet and the Piano Trio and no fewer than four of the Piano Quintet! I also have it on good authority that the first recording to be produced by the Chineke! Orchestra under their new deal with Decca, will include SC-T's Violin Concerto (as well as a piece by his daughter, Avril). That'll be the fifth commercial recording of it. Happy days!

Many thanks for this Lionel - what a fantastic prospect! A particular strength of Coleridge-Taylor's lay in chamber music, so it is a pity that it is largely confined to the earliest part of his composing career! Nevertheless, he was out of the starting blocks like Usain Bolt producing wonderful music whilst still a student. Now that he's on Chandos' radar, perhaps we might hope for new, professional recordings of "Meg Blane" and "A Tale of Old Japan"...

;)

...I have never heard any of Avril's music, so that will be fascinating. I have put together a folder of broadcasts, live recordings and Youtube performances of Coleridge-Taylor's music here

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/ks31sq1vq7iy4/Samuel+Coleridge-Taylor+(1875-1912)

in the hope that more enthusiasts can be enlisted to the cause.

:)

Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
guest822
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2022, 04:58:20 pm »

Many thanks for this Lionel - what a fantastic prospect! A particular strength of Coleridge-Taylor's lay in chamber music, so it is a pity that it is largely confined to the earliest part of his composing career! Nevertheless, he was out of the starting blocks like Usain Bolt producing wonderful music whilst still a student. Now that he's on Chandos' radar, perhaps we might hope for new, professional recordings of "Meg Blane" and "A Tale of Old Japan"...

;)

...I have never heard any of Avril's music, so that will be fascinating. I have put together a folder of broadcasts, live recordings and Youtube performances of Coleridge-Taylor's music here

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/ks31sq1vq7iy4/Samuel+Coleridge-Taylor+(1875-1912)

in the hope that more enthusiasts can be enlisted to the cause.

Thank you! I have never heard any of Avril's music either. I have had a quick browse at WorldCat and judging from the titles of her compositions, they would seem unlikely to frighten the horses: for example, The dreaming water-lily (song); Nocturne; Idylle for flute and pianoforte and, of course, the Ceremonial March she wrote in 1959 to celebrate the independence of Ghana. I seem to remember she wrote a Piano Concerto too. I must investigate...

I second your hope that the pieces in your folder will, indeed, enlist more enthusiasts.
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2022, 06:03:50 pm »

It seems that Chineke! performed Avril C-T's Sussex Landscape, Op.27 at the QEH in 2019. The blurb accompanying that concert decsribed it as "an expansive reflection on the beauty of that part of southern England where she spent the final years of her life" (although it's worth pointing out that it was written in 1940 and she died as recently as 1998 at the age of 95. If only her pa had lived that long...) Anyhow, as it's already in their repertoire, perhaps that's what's going to accompany her dad's fiddle concerto on the new record.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2022, 06:15:31 pm »

It seems that Chineke! performed Avril C-T's Sussex Landscape, Op.27 at the QEH in 2019. The blurb accompanying that concert decsribed it as "an expansive reflection on the beauty of that part of southern England where she spent the final years of her life" (although it's worth pointing out that it was written in 1936 and she died as recently as 1998 at the age of 95. If only her pa had lived that long...) Anyhow, as it's already in their repertoire, perhaps that's what's going to accompany her dad's fiddle concerto on the new record.

Now, that's very interesting! I don't know Avril's complete worklist, other than what can readily be found in Wikipedia -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avril_Coleridge-Taylor#Works

- but if she had even an ounce of her father's ability, it should be worth hearing!

I am currently sourcing a copy of the "Sussex Landscape" recording.

;)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
guest822
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2022, 06:26:47 pm »

It seems that Chineke! performed Avril C-T's Sussex Landscape, Op.27 at the QEH in 2019. The blurb accompanying that concert decsribed it as "an expansive reflection on the beauty of that part of southern England where she spent the final years of her life" (although it's worth pointing out that it was written in 1936 and she died as recently as 1998 at the age of 95. If only her pa had lived that long...) Anyhow, as it's already in their repertoire, perhaps that's what's going to accompany her dad's fiddle concerto on the new record.

Now, that's very interesting! I don't know Avril's complete worklist, other than what can readily be found in Wikipedia -

- but if she had even an ounce of her father's ability, it should be worth hearing!

;)

Ooh you clever old sausage, you! ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2022, 07:45:43 pm »

;)

Duly done, in the archive shortly!

:D
Report Spam   Logged

PJ
Level 2

Times thanked: 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2022, 06:17:52 pm »

;)

Thank you - what a fine piece of writing! Excellent performance, too.....

P
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2022, 06:47:28 pm »

;)

P

I agree wholeheartedly on both points! ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2022, 07:15:37 pm »

;)

P

Yes, Avril was also apparently a finer conductor as well. Did C-T's son Hiawatha have any interest in music? Here is Avril talking about her father in 1975...

https://www.mediafire.com/file/m53r3bzr5dkv4u8/Avril_ColeridgeTaylor_talking_about_her_father_in_1975.mp3/file

Report Spam   Logged

guest822
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2022, 09:54:25 pm »

;)

P

Yes, Avril was also apparently a finer conductor as well. Did C-T's son Hiawatha have any interest in music? Here is Avril talking about her father in 1975...

https://www.mediafire.com/file/m53r3bzr5dkv4u8/Avril_ColeridgeTaylor_talking_about_her_father_in_1975.mp3/file

Hiawatha (or 'Watha', as he was universally called, apparently) was also musical and conducted some of his father's music, including the ballet music (the Hiawatha and Minnehaha suites) which SC-T wrote in 1912 to supplement the trilogy.

Thanks for the link to Avril's talk. I did hear it on the radio many moons ago but it'll be good to have a copy of one's own!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: