The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:51:15 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

John Blackwood McEwen: Symphony in A minor on YouTube

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: John Blackwood McEwen: Symphony in A minor on YouTube  (Read 295 times)
patmos.beje
Level 4

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« on: March 26, 2022, 09:53:17 pm »

The entire Symphony can be found on YouTube (see links below).  (It is "McEwen" not  McEwan)

I see that on 24th October 2017 I posted a link to the then available second movement.  This is what I wrote then:

This is the second movement Andante quasi adagio of McEwen's Symphony in A minor composed between 1895 and 1899 and published in 1903 in a String Quartet adaptation due to it not being performed in its orchestral version. The chief subject of the movement is a traditional fiddle tune The Arran Boat Song [information derived from Alasdair Mitchell's 2002 PhD thesis].

Publicity about the performance states "the concert promises to be particularly notable for its rendition of John Blackwood McEwan's Symphony in A Minor, of which this performance is the English Premiere!" (see: https://www.dur.ac.uk/whatson/event/?eventno=9084)

The String Quartet adaptation String Quartet No.2 in A minor is available on the Chandos CD of Volume 3 of McEwen's String Quartets with the Chilingirian Quartet.
>

Symphony in A Minor by Sir John Blackwood McEwan (sic). Conducted by Gerard Doherty, the Glasgow Sinfonia performance at their 2012 winter concert.

1st Movement - Allegro Mercato

2nd Movement - Andante Quasi Adagio

3rd Movement - Vivace Molto Meno Mosso

4th Movement - Allegro Vivace Presto

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2022, 09:16:16 am »

Many thanks! I have put a single MP3 file of the performance in the archive.

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Vandermolen
Level 4

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2022, 12:33:28 pm »

It sounds rather good. I've recently been enjoying the Border Ballads, Solway Symphony and especially the valedictory 'Where the Wild Thyme Blows' which I find rather moving.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2022, 05:20:38 pm »

It sounds rather good. I've recently been enjoying the Border Ballads, Solway Symphony and especially the valedictory 'Where the Wild Thyme Blows' which I find rather moving.

And then there's the substantial "Hymn on the Morning of Christ's Nativity" also recorded by Chandos and the Viola Concerto on Hyperion, both worth exploring...

Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
JimL
Level 3

Times thanked: 16

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2022, 02:52:59 am »

I take it this is not one of the standard numbered symphonies.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2022, 09:21:03 am »

I take it this is not one of the standard numbered symphonies.

McEwen's symphonies are not usually numbered, although "Solway" (1911) is somtimes referred to as "No.5". The A minor is "No.4" - according to the 2002 PhD thesis by Alasdair Mitchell three earlier symphonies are lost and the original fifth movement of the A minor symphony was later reworked as "Coronach" (recorded by Chandos)...

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: