The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:23:07 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)  (Read 366 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2022, 03:20:26 am »

A cinematic Spectacular! A fine Swedish composer I've been missing out on!

Kurt Atterberg: Symphony No 3 op.10 in D minor "Västkustbilder - West Coast Pictures" Radio-Philharmonie Hannover Des NDR / Ari Rasilanen    Cpo

Whoever described this symphony as "cinematic" wasn't far wrong! (In fact,pretty well spot on!) Widescreen vistas open up. In terms of sheer spectacle,I couldn't help thinking that Atterberg was some kind of Scandinavian answer to Korngold at some point's! But he's got his own sound world!This really is spectacularly & thrillingly scored,right from that (truly) magical opening! (And there's poetry,too! :o :))  A cd-r,unfortunately,so no nice artwork & booklet! I'm a bit of a geek like that,I ,kind of "need" those things! (Silly! It's the music that matters,you fool! ::) ;D). But this is magnificent & excitingly scored! ! I remember being not too excited by the so-called "Dollar" symphony,pleasant as it was;when I taped it off the radio some years ago*but this is something else! I've paired the Third with Atterberg's Eighth. One ear blocked up with ear wax! The mind boggles at the aural spectacular that will unfold when normal stereo reception is finally restored!! :o :) Needless to say,I have more Atterberg symphonies lined up! (Although,I've given to understand the Ninth is not one of his best!) His Violin Concerto is also supposed to be very good! Any other admirers of this composer here,I wonder?

*Although,it might have been the performance?!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

BrianA
Level 4

Times thanked: 29

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2022, 12:31:49 am »

Please note:  I am not a musician, not a musicologist, not a music critic etc etc.  I am simply a music lover who knows what he likes and likes a great deal more than he dislikes.  And I like Atterberg's ninth quite a bit.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2022, 12:49:44 pm »

Please note:  I am not a musician, not a musicologist, not a music critic etc etc.  I am simply a music lover who knows what he likes and likes a great deal more than he dislikes.  And I like Atterberg's ninth quite a bit.

Fully agree! The CPO complete symphonic cycle is uniformly excellent...

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
guest377
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2022, 02:01:15 pm »

Fully agree! The CPO complete symphonic cycle is uniformly excellent...

:)

Yes as the owner of the CPO cycle I would agree.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2022, 06:06:28 pm »

Okay,I'll take time to listen to Atterberg's Ninth,now! I read multiple reviews and posts on various forums (not that one) and I couldn't find a single review or forum anywhere post that had anything positive to say about his Ninth. And that included Atterberg enthusiasts and people whose opinion I usually share,respect and value. I usually listen to something anyway,regardless;but I've had so much to listen to and read,recently,I'm ashamed to say I decided to give it a miss! ::) I'm sure I would got around to it,eventually,though & enjoyed it! Mind you,if Hurwitz had said he didn't think of it I probably would have listened to it,straight away!! Anyway,now I know what to use my last remaning cd-r on! So,thank you for that dhibbard! :)

Symphonies that aren't supposed to show a composer at their best (or less popular) that I like,include!

Dvorak Symphonies 1-4
Kalinnikov: Symphony No 2
Havergal Brian: Symphony No 2
Bax: Symphonies 4 & 7
Tchaikovsky: Symphonies 1-3 (Manfred Symphony! I'm a big fan!)
Roy Harris: Symphonies 5 & 6 (No's 6 & 7 are superior to his Third,imho!)
Beethoven: Symphony No 4 (More of a Cinderella,than inferior,but my favourite of the epoch making nine!
Mahler: Symphony No 7 (Seems to have undergone a reappraisal in recent years;but it's always been one of my favourites!)
Raff: (Dare I/Should I mention him here?!! ;D) I prefer No's 3 & 4 to the Fifth,which is usually the favourite & widely regarded as his finest!
Parry: His Third Symphony has always been my favourite,even though the Fifth is regarded as his finest & the usual first choice when Parry's symphonies are discussed!
D'Indy: I prefer his Third Symphony to No 2 which is usually regarded as his masterpiece in the genre! Not that his symphonies are highly regarded these days,anyway! Sadly! (Unpleasant views,but a fine composer,imo!)!)
Hanson: I prefer his First Symphony to his more recorded & popular Second. Not that I don't like his Second,mind!

Can't think of anymore at the moment!! ::) ;D

Oh,yes! Malcolm Arnold's Ninth! I should be careful about using that word,I suppose,but I think whoever described it as a masterpiece was right!

Report Spam   Logged
BrianA
Level 4

Times thanked: 29

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2022, 03:25:22 am »

Great list Cilgwyn!  I largely agree.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2022, 03:39:34 pm »

Oh,good! :) I get some things right!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2022, 02:41:10 am »

And so you might,Brian!(And how right you are!) I bought the cd of the Ninth after reading your post & after listening to it,I think it is,quite simply,one of the best! I must have looked up reviews & posts about Atterberg (on other forums! (No,not that one!) on the eighth day of the week!! ::) One critic reviewing the Cpo set  (I can't recall where) stating his belief that the Ninth is a masterpiece! I think it is a truly masterful & arresting piece & superbly performed on the Cpo recording! It really does grab your attention! I had to stop what I was doing a couple of times to listen! Imagine it at a Prom!! I've also gone onto collect the actual Cpo cd's! Atterberg is such a find,imo,I just had to have the shiny discs with the nice booklet & artwork! I'm still waiting for a reasonably priced copy of the Cpo cd of No3,however! (Come on Music Magpie!! ;D). I have it on a cd-r though,however!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: