The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:57:04 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Dora Pejačević the talented composer who impressed Nikisch!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dora Pejačević the talented composer who impressed Nikisch!  (Read 202 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2022, 04:42:37 pm »

Dora Pejačević

I've got some orchestral & chamber music by this composer on cd-r's. (Not the nice ones with artwork & booklet's,unfortunately!) and found her music very enjoyable,indeed! Her chamber music is,particularly,rewarding. Another talented composer most people have never heard of! One advantage of cd-r's is I can decide which music I put on a cd. So,not too bad! I do miss the artwork & booklet's,though! (Worra anorak,eh! ::) ;D) I won't type up her birth & death dates,though! I'll have you all thinking Dora lived until she was 200 years old! (She was 38! :()
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Santo Neuenwelt
Level 2

Times thanked: 8

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2022, 05:21:27 pm »

Dora Pejačevič (1885-1923 until recently spelled Pejacsevich) was born in Budapest, the daughter of an important Croatian aristocrat. Her mother had been a pianist. She studied piano and violin locally before attending various conservatories. At the Munich Conservatory she studied composition with Walter Courvoisier and violin with Henri Petri, although it has been said that she was mostly self-taught. Today, she is considered one Croatia's most important 20th century composers and many of her works, during her lifetime, enjoyed considerable success and were performed throughout Germany, Austria, Hungary and the rest of the Habsburg Empire. She is said to have died either in or from the complications of child birth.

There are recordings of her piano trio Op.15 and her piano quartet op.25. In her short life, she cranked out a respectable amount of work including 2 string quartets, a symphony, lots of songs and sonatas.

You can, if interested hear soundbites of her piano trio and quartet at the links below
http://www.editionsilvertrust.com/pejacevic-piano-trio.htm
http://www.editionsilvertrust.com/pejacevic-piano-qt.htm
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 07:51:43 pm »

Dora Pejačevic (1885-1923) Symphony (& Phantasie Concertante  with Volker Banfield,piano) Deutsche Staatsphilharmonie Rheinland-Pfalz / Ari Rasilainen       Cpo

On this afternoon's listening! A big,sprawling,late romantic symphony,lasting just over 45 minutes. The Phantasie Concertante is good,too. According to Hurwitz,"The Phantasie Concertante packs quite a wallop: it’s exciting, turbulent, noisy, and 15 minutes of great fun".  (Mine's a cd-r,unfortunately,but it's the music that counts,of course). Her chamber music is ripely romantic & very melodious.

I also listened to: Phantasie Concertante  with Volker Banfield (piano) Deutsche Staatsphilharmonie Rheinland-Pfalz / Ari Rasilainen       Cpo
I enjoyed this very much! A bit of Golden Age Hollywood there,somewhere,too! Grandly romantic. Hurwitz got this one right! Possibly the standout from the cd?! The sound quality seems to open out more on this recording,too! And the strings seem lusher! Some of it really does bring Hollywood golden age movie scores to mind with pianos tinkling away. Yes,great fun! If you sample this cd online,my advice,try the Phantasie Concertante first! ( I do like the symphony,though,very much!) :)

Report Spam   Logged
Santo Neuenwelt
Level 2

Times thanked: 8

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2022, 09:42:57 pm »

Dora Pejačevič (1885-1923 until recently spelled Pejacsevich) was born in Budapest, the daughter of an important Croatian aristocrat. Her mother had been a pianist. She studied piano and violin locally before attending various conservatories. At the Munich Conservatory she studied composition with Walter Courvoisier and violin with Henri Petri, although it has been said that she was mostly self-taught. Today, she is considered one Croatia's most important 20th century composers and many of her works, during her lifetime, enjoyed considerable success and were performed throughout Germany, Austria, Hungary and the rest of the Habsburg Empire.

Her chamber music is first rate. There are CDs on the CPO label of her Piano Trio, her Piano Quartet and some violin sonatas. Some soundbites can be heard at
http://www.editionsilvertrust.com/pejacevic-piano-trio.htm   and

http://www.editionsilvertrust.com/pejacevic-piano-qt.htm
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2022, 01:57:35 pm »

I have some of her Chamber music burned onto a cd-r and it is indeed very good. Ripely romantic and lyrical,but there is,obviously,more to hear and thank you for pointing me towards it! :)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: