The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 18, 2024, 11:11:11 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Bedřich Smetana's "other" operas!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bedřich Smetana's "other" operas!  (Read 292 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2022, 01:04:38 pm »

Smetana: The Kiss   Opera in Two Acts Eduard Haken (Father Peloucky) Eva Delpotova (Vendulka) et al / Brno Janáček Opera Chorus /Brno Janáček Opera Orchestra/ František Vajnar Supraphon 2 cd's

As great as Libuše is,this is more like the kind of Smetana opera that rocks my boat! A lovely score,very well performed and recorded to my ears. I have read,more than once,that the earlier recording by Krombholc) is better (more characterful & livelier performances) and from what I know of Krombholc and East European/Czech recordings from that period,I have no doubt it is. The trouble is,apart from the fact that it's in mono (not that I have a problem with that) there are earlier recordings of The Kiss (Chalabala) and Dvořák's Kate and the Devil (Chalabala),both of which I already own in later stereo recordings and if I buy every recording of every opera I'm going to end up with an empty bank account! :(

And I'll repeat this fun fact (hope,even at my age!) : Eduard Haken was 70 years old,when he made this recording & I wouldn't have known it from listening! :)

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: