The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:59:37 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Bedřich Smetana's "other" operas!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bedřich Smetana's "other" operas!  (Read 287 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2022, 10:20:38 pm »

Bedřich Smetana:Libuše    Naděžda Kniplová (Queen Libuše) Zdeněk Kroupa (Chrudoš ) et al  (see below)      Prague National Theatre Chorus & Orchestra/ Jaroslav Krombholc   Supraphon 2 cd's

Arrived today! A festive opera in three acts composed between 1871 and 1872. It was written to celebrate the coronation of Franz Josef as King of Bohemia. When this failed to materialise Smetana "saved it" (according to Wikipedia) for the opening of Prague's National Theatre in 1881. This is more like a patriotic, festive tableau,than a conventional opera. It is filled with majestic fanfares,stirring chouses,very slavonic sounding singing (and all pretty good,to my ears,but see review,below!) and Smetana's gift for colourful & often,dramatic,orchestration. It does seem there's far more to Smetana as an opera composer,than the,once,seemingly ubiquitous bride. (I,recently,enjoyed The Kiss! The opera,not a kiss! ::) ;D). The mid 60's sound on this slimline cd release is very good to my ears. There's no libretto with this set,just a booklet with some notes and a track-by-track synopsis. It doesn't bother me. Just sit back and enjoy the show! ;D chose this recording because it was made in a studio & there's only so many times I want hear the same cough! ::) ;D Rather strange artwork!

Göran Forsling loves the opera! It certainly is a wallow!  http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2010/Jan10/Smetana_Libuse_su39822.htm
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: