The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:30:05 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Arthur Bliss The Lady of Shalott Dutton

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arthur Bliss The Lady of Shalott Dutton  (Read 221 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2021, 05:11:34 pm »

Okay,that's a bit big!! :o ::) The first complete recording of the ballet!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 06:12:03 pm »

Okay,that's a bit big!! :o ::) The first complete recording of the ballet!

As the actress said to the bishop. Anyway, here's the chapter and verse (please leave your donations next to the confessional)...

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDLX7387

::)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 06:21:32 pm »

A lovely painting! I've always been to partial to John William Waterhouse (as well as Baked beans covered in grated cheese!)! :)
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 06:30:12 pm »

A lovely painting! I've always been to partial to John William Waterhouse (as well as Baked beans covered in grated cheese!)! :)

Another stunning artist, instantly recognisable. Have I done him in the shoddy gazebo of Victorian and Edwardian Art yet? Been so long since I visited, I can't bloody remember.

:D
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 07:13:55 pm »

I don't remember seeing him! I was going to drop a hint! ;D I had a thing for Waterhouse,because they were in those old Arthur Mee books (tomes) I had when I was a youngster. (Handed down to me!) He was famous once upon a time for his Children's Encyclopedia & Children's Newspaper! I think it was his fault I was the only kid in school who thought we still had an empire! (One big happy family!! ::) ;D) He was obviously keen on those kind of paintings. Burne-Jones,Rosetti,et al!
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2021, 09:14:49 am »

The 1968 broadcast conducted by the composer is in the British and Irish Music Archive: out of the original sixteen movements only two are excised. This new recording is very welcome indeed!

The mirror crack'd from side to side...

::)

...better nip down to the local pound-shop then methinks. Can't say that said Lady seems too bothered - after all, the bus doesn't come for another couple of hours. My curtains fell down yesterday, perhaps she could pick up some rawlplugs while she's at it.

:D

Not Waterhouse, but Sidney Meteyard (1868-1947).
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: