The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:58:53 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Daniel Jones symphonies 12 & 13 on Lyrita

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Daniel Jones symphonies 12 & 13 on Lyrita  (Read 728 times)
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2021, 10:01:53 am »

Out november, 5 via Prestoclassical https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9255496--daniel-jones-symphonies-nos-12-13-come-my-way-my-truth-my-life
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 10:52:20 am »

Oh my word, the completion of the cycle. A very appropriate cover -

CILGWYN!!!

;D

These performances have now been removed from the British and Irish Music Archive and the catalogue has been updated. The following broadcasts, however, remain available: Symphony No.12 conducted by Grant Llwellyn (2012) and Symphony No.13 conducted by Richard Hickox (1992).

How wonderful of Lyrita to bring this landmark project through to fulfillment.

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
jonah
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 10:18:28 pm »

Such good news, after all this waiting!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 12:22:07 am »

And now,after all those shots of very,serious looking,serious composer's! A very happy,serious composer,enjoying a seriously,tasty pint!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

Thanks for this news,Albion! :) Living in Wales all my life,this cover image of Daniel Jones,pint glass in hand,somehow,seems just so Welsh! I'm also wondering if this is the best ever composer cover shot?! :-\ ;D More shots of composer's enjoying pints,please! :) :) :)
Report Spam   Logged
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 10:56:38 am »

Probably a very tasty Welsh porter beer he's enjoying?
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2021, 02:01:43 pm »

Iechyd Da,indeed! ;D :)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2021, 12:33:26 am »

Bought! Ebay had one of those Black Friday vouchers,so what else could I do? (Resist!? ::) ;D) The critic on Musicweb suggests that Daniel Jones looks like he's toasting the completion of Lyrita's cycle! And well he might! If only,in spirit (albeit a pint of bitter here!). I say,Cheers to that! I hope Lyrita will consider a cd release of his oratorio St Peter,at some point! But this cycle will do very well for now!! :) :) :)

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2021/Nov/Jones-Sym12-SRCD391.htm

I just can't get the hang of computer's,can I? Quoting,myself!! But,Iechyd da,anyway!! ;D
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2021, 09:20:47 pm »

Another Musicweb review. This one is very enthusiastic. Indeed (and I quote) Nick Barnard observes,"Given the quantity and quality of these thirteen symphonies there is an argument to made for them being the most significant but least appreciated cycle by a British composer bar none."

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2021/Dec/Jones-Sym12-SRCD391.htm
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2021, 09:33:09 am »

Another Musicweb review. This one is very enthusiastic. Indeed (and I quote) Nick Barnard observes,"Given the quantity and quality of these thirteen symphonies there is an argument to made for them being the most significant but least appreciated cycle by a British composer bar none."

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2021/Dec/Jones-Sym12-SRCD391.htm

It's nice to see that due praise is given to Bryden Thomson for shouldering the bulk of the conducting and making such an outstanding job of it.

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2021, 11:39:39 pm »

Yes,it's great;particularly since Bryden Thomson admired his music and would have,obviously,loved to have to have been able to record the symphonies for commercial release. Now we get them on cd,anyway!  Better late than never,eh?!! ::) ;D And the more Bryden Thomson,the better! One of my favourite conductors.
Report Spam   Logged
Mountain Goat
Level 1

Times thanked: 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2022, 12:07:43 am »

Fantastic news! Love the cover too, Daniel Jones is obviously celebrating that all his symphonies are finally available on CD  ;D

Pleased to see they've also found room for "Come, my Way, my Truth, my Life", I remember hearing it on Radio 3 around 10 years ago and being very impressed by it! It was actually my introduction to Daniel Jones, which encouraged me to explore his music further. Here's hoping they release the concertos too...
Report Spam   Logged
Mountain Goat
Level 1

Times thanked: 2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2022, 11:13:40 pm »

The die is cast! CD has just been ordered to complete the set, I think I may join Daniel with a pint of ale to celebrate  ;D
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2022, 01:22:15 am »

Iechyd da,Mountain goat! :) I love that cover photo! One of the best composer,photo choices,for a cd ever,imho! A great conclusion to this fine cd series. (You won't be disappointed,I'm sure!) That said,I hope it won't be the last Daniel cd from that source;and I'm given to understand it won't!
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2022, 05:35:05 pm »

Iechyd da,Mountain goat! :) I love that cover photo! One of the best composer,photo choices,for a cd ever,imho! A great conclusion to this fine cd series. (You won't be disappointed,I'm sure!) That said,I hope it won't be the last Daniel cd from that source;and I'm given to understand it won't!

I hope so too. In particular there are the violin and cello concertos, Cloud Messenger, several overures, Salute to Dylan Thomas and the oratorio St Peter...

;)
Report Spam   Logged

Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2022, 09:41:46 pm »

A boxed set would be useful ...
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: