The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 19, 2024, 05:32:30 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Danish Music

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Danish Music  (Read 1015 times)
jowcol
Level 5

Times thanked: 30

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2012, 02:22:59 pm »

Symphonies 1, 3, 5 and 6  of Danish Composer Svend Erik Tarp ( 1908-1994)

His works are similar in some ways to Nielsen, but also are flavored by the French composers such as  Les 6.  The sources are radio broadcasts, dates unknown.
(Repost from UC...)
MP3s, 192 kps.

From the Collection of Karl Miller.

Symphony 1 “Sinfonia Divertante”
Danish Radio Symphony Orchestra
Ole Schmidt, Conductor

Symphony 3 “Sinfonia quasi una Fantasia”
South Jutland Symphony Orchestra
Carl Von Garaguly, Conductor

Symphony 5
Aaalborg City Orchestra
Erilling Schröder, Conductor

Sven Erik Tarp Symphony 6
Aarhus City Orchestra
Aksel Wellejus, Conductor

Radio broadcast.  Note - the last "movement" is really the radio outro.

MP3, 192 kps.  Not commercially released

As I recall, Tarp was very popular on UC, and Third Symphony is one of my favorite 20th century symphonies.

Bio from Dacapo Records
Svend Erik Tarp was among those Danish composers who were closer to French musical culture than to the dominant influence from Germany. In a string of sparkling, diverting works, not least the popular Piano Concerto in C major, he spoke up in the 1930s for a different modernist direction than the German-inspired one that dominated the new Danish music of the period. Tarp composed a total of ten symphonies. While maintaining a certain connection with Carl Nielsen, Tarp's music exhibits striking rhythms and linearity, but usually with a determination to appeal to the wider audience. In the late orchestral works the lines are longer and the seriousness greater than in the early, more chamber-music-like works. Tarp also wrote operas, piano music, didactic pieces and in particular much chamber music and film music. Svend Erik Tarp held a number of administrative posts in the musical world, and for many years this stole time from his creative activities. On the other hand he continued to compose at an advanced age, although because of his weakened sight he had to have practical assistance with his last symphony.

Report Spam   Logged

All download links I have posted are for works, that, to  my knowledge, have never been commercially released in digital form.  Should you find I've been in error, please notify myself or an Administrator.  Please IM me if I've made any errors that require attention, as I may not read replies.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

fr8nks
Level 2

Times thanked: 7

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 11:16:13 pm »

Thanks for the uploads of Tarp's Symphonies. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed Symphony No.3 and your upload is a different performance than the one I have and in better sound. Do you have Symphonies Nos.4 & 9?

Best,
Frank
Report Spam   Logged
jowcol
Level 5

Times thanked: 30

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 12:06:40 am »

Thanks for the uploads of Tarp's Symphonies. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed Symphony No.3 and your upload is a different performance than the one I have and in better sound. Do you have Symphonies Nos.4 & 9?

Best,
Frank

I don't have 4 or 9-- any more Tarp would be welcome!
Report Spam   Logged

All download links I have posted are for works, that, to  my knowledge, have never been commercially released in digital form.  Should you find I've been in error, please notify myself or an Administrator.  Please IM me if I've made any errors that require attention, as I may not read replies.
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 04:03:12 am »

As the member of this forum who has been advocating the music of Paul von Klenau for some time I am absolutely delighted that shamus has provided a recording of the premiere of von Klenau's recently discovered choral Ninth Symphony :)
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 06:09:51 pm »

As the member of this forum who has been advocating the music of Paul von Klenau for some time I am absolutely delighted that shamus has provided a recording of the premiere of von Klenau's recently discovered choral Ninth Symphony :)

Yes, some lovely uploads, Mr. Shamus - thank you so much !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 12:25:46 am »

Tarp's Piano Concerto and 7th Symphony can be heard here:

http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/audios/los-raros/raros-29-11-11/1261465/

http://mvod.lvlt.rtve.es/resources/TE_SLOSRA/mp3/4/0/1322608491004.mp3
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 01:37:55 am »

These are of course the only two major Tarp orchestral works committed to disc by Dacapo. I would have thought that if that company is looking for a new project, post-the Riisager series, they could do a lot worse than go for Tarp.

There is also Niels Viggo Bentzon...but, with 24 symphonies, he is almost certainly too daunting :(
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 08:20:15 am »

There is also Niels Viggo Bentzon...but, with 24 symphonies, he is almost certainly too daunting :(

Bentzon was very prolific in all genres, but I find his music extremely rewarding - he was no note-spinner. It would be a great shame if the volume of his works were to deter anyone from performing/recording his music.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 07:31:03 am »

These are of course the only two major Tarp orchestral works committed to disc by Dacapo. I would have thought that if that company is looking for a new project, post-the Riisager series, they could do a lot worse than go for Tarp.

I am presently listening to the 3rd symphony by Leif Kayser and it is a glorious epic work that should be much better known. Kayser wrote 4 symphonies and they are worth every penny for the two volume set. This music has overwhelming power and grandeur and it is unfortunate that not much of it is here because it is only on commercial cd.......but if anyone knows of any concerts, please post them..

KAYSER samples here
http://www.dacapo-records.dk/en/recording-leif-kayser---symphonies-vol--1.aspx
http://www.dacapo-records.dk/en/recording-leif-kayser---symphonies-vol--2.aspx
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 07:59:23 am »

Remember that if you have a subscription to the Naxos website you can also listen to Dacapo CDs there. I was listening to a few of Bentzon's piano sonatas yesterday.
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 03:44:07 am »

Regarding Paul von Klenau's 9th Symphony, the 8 movements of the BC performance uploaded here by Shamus as one whole have been individually uploaded (with Movement titles/tempos provided) on the Unsung Composers site.
Report Spam   Logged
Nielsenite
Level 1

Times thanked: 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2021, 03:26:46 am »

I really have to say thank Latvian for uploading the stunning recording of Holmboe's Symphony no. 8. It sounds much more organic to my ears, though I do miss the strong timpani in several moments. Also, the ending is much more effective and gripping. One of my all-time favorite symphonies.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2021, 09:41:51 am »

I really have to say thank Latvian for uploading the stunning recording of Holmboe's Symphony no. 8. It sounds much more organic to my ears, though I do miss the strong timpani in several moments. Also, the ending is much more effective and gripping. One of my all-time favorite symphonies.

That's really great to hear! Denmark produced an amazingly strong raft of fine, fascinating and frankly innovative composers including Gade, Nielsen and Langgaard. Go Denmark!

Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Nielsenite
Level 1

Times thanked: 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2021, 02:52:49 am »

That's really great to hear! Denmark produced an amazingly strong raft of fine, fascinating and frankly innovative composers including Gade, Nielsen and Langgaard. Go Denmark!

Certainly! I have a special affection for this country. Composers like the ones you mentioned + Riisager, Borresen, Norgard, L. Glass, and the another Nielsen, Ludolf, are close to my tastes.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2021, 07:09:30 am »

Certainly! I have a special affection for this country. Composers like the ones you mentioned + Riisager, Borresen, Norgard, L. Glass, and the another Nielsen, Ludolf, are close to my tastes.

And Hans Christian Lumbye wrote dance music fully the equal of Waldteufel, Ziehrer and the Strauss dynasty...

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: