The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:25:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Rutland Boughton (1878-1960)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rutland Boughton (1878-1960)  (Read 374 times)
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2021, 11:57:21 am »

Boughton recently cropped up in the "What are you currently listening to?" thread. Well, I would recommend:

Music drama

The Immortal Hour (Melville, Hyperion CDA66101/2)
Bethlehem (Melville, Hyperion CDA66690)
The Queen of Cornwall (Corp, Dutton 2CDLX7256)

Orchestral

Love and Spring; Troilus and Cressida; A Summer Night (Yates, Dutton CDLX7262)
Symphony No.2, Symphony No.3 (Downes, Carlton Classics 15656 91892)
Three Folk Dances; Aylesbury Games; Flute Concerto; Concerto for String Orchestra (Corp, Hyperion CDA67185)

Chamber

String Quartet From the Welsh Hills; Oboe Quartet No.1; String Quartet On Greek Folk Songs; Songs without Words (Francis, Rasumovsky Quartet, Hyperion CDA66936)

Unfortunately Symphony No.1 (Handley, Dutton CDLX7185) is a pretty dreary affair and Handley's Symphony No.3 (Hyperion CDA66343) is beset with orchestral fallibility, although the Oboe Concerto No.1 is worth a hearing. Major gaps in the catalogue are the music dramas Alkestis and The Lily Maid, also the choral work Midnight, an impressive and highly imaginative setting of Edward Carpenter first heard at the Birmingham Festival in 1909.

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest822
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2021, 01:08:29 pm »

Boughton recently cropped up in the "What are you currently listening to?" thread. Well, I would recommend:

Music drama

The Immortal Hour (Melville, Hyperion CDA66101/2)
Bethlehem (Melville, Hyperion CDA66690)
The Queen of Cornwall (Corp, Dutton 2CDLX7256)

Orchestral

Love and Spring; Troilus and Cressida; A Summer Night (Yates, Dutton CDLX7262)
Symphony No.2, Symphony No.3 (Downes, Carlton Classics 15656 91892)
Three Folk Dances; Aylesbury Games; Flute Concerto; Concerto for String Orchestra (Corp, Hyperion CDA67185)

Chamber

String Quartet From the Welsh Hills; Oboe Quartet No.1; String Quartet On Greek Folk Songs; Songs without Words (Francis, Rasumovsky Quartet, Hyperion CDA66936)

Unfortunately Symphony No.1 (Handley, Dutton CDLX7185) is a pretty dreary affair and Handley's Symphony No.3 (Hyperion CDA66343) is beset with orchestral fallibility, although the Oboe Concerto No.1 is worth a hearing. Major gaps in the catalogue are the music dramas Alkestis and The Lily Maid, also the choral work Midnight, an impressive and highly imaginative setting of Edward Carpenter first heard at the Birmingham Festival in 1909.

Thanks for the steer. :)
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2021, 03:19:41 pm »

I would also add:

Songs

Including Five Celtic Love Songs; Songs of Womanhood and Symbol Songs (Mott, Taylor, British Music Society BMS431CD)

There are also several partsongs in BIMA, together with a broadcast of the Trumpet Concerto.

Michael Hurd's biography Rutland Boughton and the Glastonbury Festival (1992) is excellent.
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2021, 10:14:16 am »

I love the phrase, "beset with orchestral fallibility".
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2021, 10:21:22 am »

I love the phrase, "beset with orchestral fallibility".

Yep, not the RPO at its best...

::)

...mind you, Symphony No.3 also taxes the BBC PO under Downes. But they're bang on the money in Deirdre: A Celtic Symphony (No.2).

Report Spam   Logged

cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2021, 09:02:00 pm »

Deirdre: A Celtic Symphony (Symphony No 2). I think that's a lovely symphony. Particularly the second movement. I remember recording the Downes performance on my radio cassette recorder,when it was,originally,broadcast! (I like the Third,too;but 'Deirdre' is my favourite). One of the best of those BBC Radio Classics Cd's!
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2021, 09:29:22 pm »

Deirdre: A Celtic Symphony (Symphony No 2). I think that's a lovely symphony. Particularly the second movement. I remember recording the Downes performance on my radio cassette recorder,when it was,originally,broadcast! (I like the Third,too;but 'Deirdre' is my favourite). One of the best of those BBC Radio Classics Cd's!

Originally a ballet, but rejected by several companies, Deirdre is a stunning score, showing Boughton at his Celtic-inspired best. Downes' recording is splendid. Yes, I remember the excitement of those BBC Radio Classics releases - sadly, they just petered out...

:(
Report Spam   Logged

cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2021, 09:47:05 pm »

Thanks,for your reply,Albion! I didn't now that! Incidentally,I just put on Brian's Sinfonia Tragica;and only now,after reading your post,it struck me that they're both 'Deirdre' symphonies! Of course,I know that! It's just funny! The next symphony I put on......... :o ;D Yes,a stunning score. The second movement (Moonlight Idyll: Deirdre and Naisi) is,ravishingly,beautiful! But I like it all! :) :) :) The cassette tape got chewed up by one of my cassette recorders years ago;but the music stayed in my mind. I was so pleased when it was released on cd!
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2021, 10:15:36 pm »

Thanks,for your reply,Albion! I didn't now that! Incidentally,I just put on Brian's Sinfonia Tragica;and only now,after reading your post,it struck me that they're both 'Deirdre' symphonies! Of course,I know that! It's just funny! The next symphony I put on......... :o ;D Yes,a stunning score. The second movement (Moonlight Idyll: Deirdre and Naisi) is,ravishingly,beautiful! But I like it all! :) :) :) The cassette tape got chewed up by one of my cassette recorders years ago;but the music stayed in my mind. I was so pleased when it was released on cd!

I was in the sixth-form when it was broadcast way back in 1985 and had to smuggle a radio-cassette recorder into school to record it! It's a pity that neither the Handley nor the Downes recordings of No.3 are first-class: they're ok-ish, but the score is clearly a challenge (especially to the brass section)...

::)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: