The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:56:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Holst Perfect Fool Opera

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holst Perfect Fool Opera  (Read 832 times)
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2021, 04:56:35 pm »

Well,I got my wish! But like in some of those old fairy stories,it didn't quite turn out the way I wanted it to!! ::) :( ;D Unless some other small label coughs up the Handley broacast,the best hope is for a new recording! Or perhaps a small,provincial operatic company will decide to put it on & a recording will follow (as per,Stanford's Travelling Comanion). But brilliant orchestral writing needs a professional orchestra! And wobbly soloists don't help! When Boughton's Immortal Hour and VW's The Poisoned Kiss were released,they benefited from top notch performances. The sort of recording where you have to make allowances for wobbly soloists can do more damage than good!

Cherish the Handley broadcast, I doubt we'll get any better. Many a promising pioneering recording has been buggered by ill-cast soloists: Dutton's Everyman with Pauls Putnins ( :P) in the title-role springs to mind, as does Foulds' A World Requiem with the ghastly Jeanne-Michele Charbonnet - I can only hope that Beelzebub's imps prick her with their toasting forks into eternity.

:o

Admittedly Chandos didn't hire the latter and just recorded the live performance. But "Why, oh why, oh why?" Fully in agreement that The Immortal Hour and The Poisoned Kiss are exemplary...

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: