The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 20, 2024, 05:44:37 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

George Lloyd (1913-1998)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: George Lloyd (1913-1998)  (Read 503 times)
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2021, 12:37:54 pm »

At last, some George Lloyd on Radio 3. Just the overture to John Socman (1951) but better than nowt, I suppose...

::)

...the complete opera, as broadcast by the BBC in 1982, is in the BIMA.

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest822
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 05:53:53 pm »

At last, some George Lloyd on Radio 3. Just the overture to John Socman (1951) but better than nowt, I suppose...

The ghastly William Glock casts a long shadow...
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 07:33:57 pm »

Holst: The Planets      Boston Symphony Orchestra /William Steinberg           Deutsche Grammophon Galleria

Steinberg & his orchestra take Mars at quite a lick! :o ;D This has got to be one of the most thrilling recordings of The Planets,imo! It's certainly a favourite of mine! Others I like include Sargent's (BBCSO) Boult's various recordings (Particularly 1945 & 1966) Holst's own (both!) and Bernard Herrmann's,eat your heart out Klemperer,slow (but all the more brooding & menacing,for it,imo!)! I'm not into Ligeti. And I don't think I ever will be :o ;D;although he sounded a nice man in interviews. But his Lux aeterna makes a strangely,enjoyable & appropriately cosmic sounding fill-up;and only,7 mins 57 secs long!(And not just because of a certain movie;which incidentally always has me jabbing the channel button! Which just shows my level of intellect! ::) ;D)
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 07:56:24 am »

Holst: The Planets      Boston Symphony Orchestra /William Steinberg           Deutsche Grammophon Galleria

Steinberg & his orchestra take Mars at quite a lick! :o ;D This has got to be one of the most thrilling recordings of The Planets,imo! It's certainly a favourite of mine! Others I like include Sargent's (BBCSO) Boult's various recordings (Particularly 1945 & 1966) Holst's own (both!) and Bernard Herrmann's,eat your heart out Klemperer,slow (but all the more brooding & menacing,for it,imo!)! I'm not into Ligeti. And I don't think I ever will be :o ;D;although he sounded a nice man in interviews. But his Lux aeterna makes a strangely,enjoyable & appropriately cosmic sounding fill-up;and only,7 mins 57 secs long!(And not just because of a certain movie;which incidentally always has me jabbing the channel button! Which just shows my level of intellect! ::) ;D)

Deliberate?

:D
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021, 11:09:11 am »

Too little of Lloyd is heard live or broadcast, although all the symphonies are available together with major choral works such as The Vigil of Venus, A Symphonic Mass and A Litany -

https://georgelloyd.com/about-the-music-temp/recording-history

and there are valuable alternatives for several of the symphonies on Lyrita -

https://www.wyastone.co.uk/all-labels/lyrita.html?composer_l_m=4234

Music that's well worth getting to know.

George Lloyd...

...or Margaret Rutherford?

Report Spam   Logged

guest822
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2021, 11:33:49 am »

George Lloyd or Margaret Rutherford?

Oh my word, that's a good (if somewhat irreverent) spot! ;D Somehow, I don't see George Lloyd starring as Madame Arcati or Jane Marple!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2021, 01:13:12 pm »

There have been a few observations about the likeness between George Lloyd and Margaret Rutherford at another forum (not 'that' one!). And posts along the lines of Private Eye's long running,'look-a-likes',with the names swapped around! ;D Can anyone think of any other composer look-a-likes,by the way?!

I recently acquired the cd of his Symphonies 2 & 9. I had heard the Ninth,but the Second was new to me! I think I'll put it on again,in a minute?!
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2021, 01:30:58 pm »

at another forum (not 'that' one!).

BAH!!!

>:(

Can anyone think of any other composer look-a-likes,by the way?!

Well, Sir Frederic Cowen (1852-1935) was the spitting image (minus stage moustache and plus some well-turned wigs) of Lady Frederica Cowen (1852-1971), if that counts...

I recently acquired the cd of his Symphonies 2 & 9. I had heard the Ninth,but the Second was new to me! I think I'll put it on again,in a minute?!

All good stuff. Enjoy!

Report Spam   Logged

cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2021, 08:23:05 pm »

I've often heard that Symphonies 4-7 are the finest! The Second Symphony was new to me. It's still a substantial work,though & full of the wonderful,scintillating orchestration you expect from this composer. I'm going to have a listen again,now. I had things to do,unfortunately! I didn't realise the artwork on the front of the Conifer cd was Edvard Munch,until I read the booklet! The Scream would have been inappropriate!! (How I feel when I hear some of the music William Glock liked!)
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2021, 09:59:35 pm »

I didn't realise the artwork on the front of the Conifer cd was Edvard Munch,until I read the booklet! The Scream would have been inappropriate!! (How I feel when I hear some of the music William Glock liked!)

I can't contemplate that dreadful man Glock without thinking that his head deserves something similar to what befell Oliver Cromwell's.  >:(
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
Level 2

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2022, 08:31:34 pm »

Recently I revisited the blazing masterpiece that is A Symphonic Mass (1992):

I say this without any hyperbole: This is one of the most magnificent, epic, and awe-inspiring pieces of music known to me!!! Great as his symphonies are, I think A Symphonic Mass may very well be Lloyd's masterwork. I can say with great confidence that it is my single favorite work composed in the last 50 or so years, and perhaps even my favorite work for chorus and orchestra. What makes this work so compelling to me is its constant struggle between light (radiant lyricism/consonance) and dark (threatening chromaticism/dissonance). Especially powerful are the Credo and Sanctus/Benedictus movements - simply witness the great climax of the former (beginning around 8:45 in the video below). Absolutely spine-tinglingly thrilling doesn't even begin to describe it:

Another aspect of the work that I find appealing is its lack of vocal soloists - it's simply for chorus and orchestra, and Lloyd's writing for both is superbly virtuosic and inventive. It's a magnificent summation of this ever-endearing composer's career, and I urge anyone who hasn't heard it yet to please give it a try!
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2022, 08:48:22 pm »

Recently I revisited the blazing masterpiece that is A Symphonic Mass (1992): I say this without any hyperbole: This is one of the most magnificent, epic, and awe-inspiring pieces of music known to me!!! Great as his symphonies are, I think A Symphonic Mass may very well be Lloyd's masterwork. I can say with great confidence that it is my single favorite work composed in the last 50 or so years, and perhaps even my favorite work for chorus and orchestra. What makes this work so compelling to me is its constant struggle between light (radiant lyricism/consonance) and dark (threatening chromaticism/dissonance). Especially powerful are the Credo and Sanctus/Benedictus movements - simply witness the great climax of the former (beginning around 8:45 in the video below). Absolutely spine-tinglingly thrilling doesn't even begin to describe it...

Another aspect of the work that I find appealing is its lack of vocal soloists - it's simply for chorus and orchestra, and Lloyd's writing for both is superbly virtuosic and inventive. It's a magnificent summation of this ever-endearing composer's career, and I urge anyone who hasn't heard it yet to please give it a try!

I fully agree - the Mass is absolutely stunning, his finest contribution to the choral repertoire with so many memorable tunes and glorious orchestration. It's also well worth seeking out the operas Iernin and John Socman as well: the first was issued on CD from a BBC studio recording and the latter is in the the British and Music Archive, like wise from a studio broadcast. I so wish that Albany would issue a box set of the symphonies as recorded under the composer's baton...

Report Spam   Logged

kyjo
Level 2

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2022, 07:12:26 pm »

I fully agree - the Mass is absolutely stunning, his finest contribution to the choral repertoire with so many memorable tunes and glorious orchestration. It's also well worth seeking out the operas Iernin and John Socman as well: the first was issued on CD from a BBC studio recording and the latter is in the the British and Music Archive, like wise from a studio broadcast. I so wish that Albany would issue a box set of the symphonies as recorded under the composer's baton...

Glad to hear you're also an admirer of the Symphonic Mass! I've yet to hear any of Lloyd's operas or his choral/orchestral work The Vigil of Venus - do you know it? And yes - totally agree that those Albany recordings of the symphonies (and concerti and other works!) should be reissued and boxed up, as many of them are now out of print. Not only would be convenient, but it should attract some renewed interest in this magnificent composer who has become one of my very favorites, and not just amongst British composers! Lloyd was undoubtedly one of the greatest tunesmiths and orchestrators of the second half of the 20th century IMO.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: