The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:46:43 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Sir Charles Villiers Stanford (1852-1924)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sir Charles Villiers Stanford (1852-1924)  (Read 527 times)
Chriskh
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2022, 08:11:10 pm »

Just to complicate matters, in no.5 the broadcast performances under Maurice Handford and Tuomas Ollila-Hannikainen make the work sound like a masterpiece in a way neither Handley nor Lloyd-Jones quite succeed in doing, though I prefer Lloyd-Jones over Handley here and in most of the others too. The Handford is an expansive affair such as his mentor Barbirolli might have given.
In no.3, the broadcast by the Pittsburgh SO under Galway is worth seeking out. The recent (2020) broadcast under George Jackson was impressive in movements 2, 3, and 4. The first movement seems the hardest to bring off. Of commercial recordings, I haven't heard the Bostock, but of the others I tend to go back to Del Mar, while wishing EMI gave him a proper sized symphony orchestra instead of the Bournemouth Sinfonietta.
Neither recording of no.4 is acceptable because both treat the Allegretto agitato intermezzo as a lugubrious slow movement, so the symphony appears to have two slow movements and falls apart in the middle. There was a broadcast under Maurice Handford that I've never heard - I wonder what he did with that movement.

In Rhapsody no.1, you only have to compare the first part which Stanford recorded himself with Handley to realize the latter's jig-like treatment (the melody appears in Songs of Erin as a war song) is radically wrong. A 2019 broadcast under Simon Gaudenz considerably better         
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: