The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:38:53 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Oleg Eiges (1905-1992)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oleg Eiges (1905-1992)  (Read 378 times)
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« on: July 13, 2021, 07:52:33 pm »

I wonder if anyone knows much about Oleg Eiges? I can find out very little. That his father Konstantin Eiges was also a composer, and has a CD of piano music on the Toccata label. Apparently Oleg composed some 15 symphonies, but the 10th fell foul of the authorities, and his career never recovered. I have heard one short piano sonata of his on YT, which seemed a fine piece. Since we have some experts on Soviet music here, I wondered if anything more could be discovered.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2021, 02:14:13 am »

I wonder if anyone knows much about Oleg Eiges? I can find out very little. That his father Konstantin Eiges was also a composer, and has a CD of piano music on the Toccata label. Apparently Oleg composed some 15 symphonies, but the 10th fell foul of the authorities, and his career never recovered. I have heard one short piano sonata of his on YT, which seemed a fine piece. Since we have some experts on Soviet music here, I wondered if anything more could be discovered.
Oleg Eiges has only cd recorded by Toccata Classics a project of recording cd with Glinka's Museum aborted ,his son told me.
Report Spam   Logged
relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2021, 03:25:55 pm »

I found his Piano Concerto here

He's not even in the Musicweb catalog of Soviet symphonies and concertos which includes lots of unknown composers.
Report Spam   Logged
jimmatt
Level 2

Times thanked: 8

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2021, 02:09:12 am »

YouTube has a lot of Eiges' piano music and violin cto in addition to piano cto noted above. There is quite a bit of info on Eiges if you Google the Cyrillic spelling Эйгес, Олег, biography, https://sokomso.ru/members/ejges-oleg-konstantinovich, another has music links that don't work in case someone can communicate with the site http://kassandrion.narod.ru/eiges/audio.htm which my computer says is not secure, then his violin concerto and symphony No. 15 on and some chamber works are on https://classic-online.ru/ru/composer/Eyges/736, again using Cyrillic to find him, this one has tons of Russian composers as well as many others, one must pay a donation to be able to listen to the music. I haven't had any problems with it for years. Hope that helps a little. I don't know yet if I like his music or not!
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2021, 09:26:00 pm »

Many thanks for the replies above, especially for the piano concerto, which I much enjoyed. Especially the  slow movement, which seems to have stepped out of The Fiery Angel. But I have two principal questions:

1) What was so objectionable about his 10th symphony that aroused the ire of the censors and kiboshed his career? Did it set poems by Jewish poets?

2) Given the general interest in music that got censored in the 1940s, why has he seemingly never been rehabilitated, especially in the west?
Report Spam   Logged
relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 02:45:38 pm »

Many thanks for the replies above, especially for the piano concerto, which I much enjoyed. Especially the  slow movement, which seems to have stepped out of The Fiery Angel. But I have two principal questions:

1) What was so objectionable about his 10th symphony that aroused the ire of the censors and kiboshed his career? Did it set poems by Jewish poets?

2) Given the general interest in music that got censored in the 1940s, why has he seemingly never been rehabilitated, especially in the west?

I think a big part of the challenge of researching lost Soviet era composers is you have to have good language skills.  It's very possible there is much out there but not under his English name so it becomes difficult to know you're looking up the same person or if you would get more useful results in searching in Russian.  Secondly, depending on what region he's from, they might have their own version of spelling his name local to that region because they weren't all the same language but had dialects.  Sort of like how Вайнберг = Vaynberg = Weinberg = Vainberg depending if you're using Cyrillic Russian or Latinized Russian or Polish Russian or Polish, etc.  Of course, if the composer is prominent enough it becomes easier to know it's all the same person but not really if they are obscure. 
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 09:02:30 pm »

Very true - my first acquaintance with the music of Weinberg was the old Melodiya-HMV issue of his violin concerto and 4th symphony under the name Vainberg, and so I always thought of him as Vainberg for many years thereafter. Even after understanding the truth about Mieczysław Weinberg as a put-upon Polish-born composer of Jewish descent, I was always a little sorry about the absence of Moshei Vainberg!
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 09:43:06 pm »

Very true - my first acquaintance with the music of Weinberg was the old Melodiya-HMV issue of his violin concerto and 4th symphony under the name Vainberg, and so I always thought of him as Vainberg for many years thereafter. Even after understanding the truth about Mieczysław Weinberg as a put-upon Polish-born composer of Jewish descent, I was always a little sorry about the absence of Moshei Vainberg!

My relationship with Weinberg's music began in a very similar way to yours, except in my case it was Timofei Dokshizer's LP of the Trumpet Concerto with the Bolshoi Theatre Orchestra under Alois Zuraitis, which was also issued as being by Vainberg (and which credited the soloist as 'Timothy Dokshitser'!) I was confused for years (and still am about so many things, although not about Vainberg/Weinberg).  :)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: