The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:28:47 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Léon Boëllmann: Symphony and Symphonic Variations on Fuga Libera

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Léon Boëllmann: Symphony and Symphonic Variations on Fuga Libera  (Read 378 times)
guest822
« on: May 30, 2021, 09:56:23 am »

It appears that a new recording by the Orchestre Symphonique de Mulhouse, conducted by Patrick Davin (the last before his untimely death, it seems) of these pieces is to be released. I can't find it on Fuga Libera's website but, according to Amazon, it exists:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Orchestral-Works-Davin/dp/B0955HN5RG/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Orchestral+Works+boellmann&qid=1622333296&s=music&sr=1-1-catcorr

Like most devoteees of Boëllmann's music I suspect, I came to him as an organ student through the ubiquitous Suite Gothique op 25; but there is also a good deal of fine chamber music and, my favourite piece of his, these Symphonic Variations for cello and orchestra, of which there's a fine performance and recording by Paul Tortelier with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra under his boy Yan Pascal Tortelier, which is available only in a 20-CD boxed set of Tortelier's EMI recordings. The Symphony in F Major I have heard in an off-air BBC recording by the Ulster Orchestra conducted by Howard Williams (and a good piece it is too, in the vein of César Franck) but that doesn't seem to appear in our French Music download folder. The cellist in ths new recording is Henri Demarquette, with whose work I am not familiar. When it becomes available I shall definitely be at the front of the queue for it! 
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

northern
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 09:12:57 am »

I haven't checked the downloads section but the performance you mention is on youtube.
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2021, 09:46:12 am »

I haven't checked the downloads section but the performance you mention is on youtube.

Thanks very much for alerting me to that.  :)
Report Spam   Logged
JimL
Level 3

Times thanked: 16

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2021, 04:47:08 pm »

I have been trying to see a score of this for years, in order to get the tempo for the Intermède variée movement. Is this information provided in the CD booklet?
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 05:03:21 pm »

I have been trying to see a score of this for years, in order to get the tempo for the Intermède variée movement. Is this information provided in the CD booklet?

Although the CD (and booklet) are yet to be issued (or yet to appear on Fuga Libera's website) the Youtube performance referred to by northern above has a comment by James Levee that indicates a tempo marking for the Intermède variée as Allegro marcato. I have no way of varifying this as I am still trying to track down the score myself but I see no reason why Mr Levee should be telling a fib. :)
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2021, 05:16:34 pm »

Update! The full score of the Symphony is available from Presto Music here: https://www.prestomusic.com/sheet-music/products/8903635--boellmann-leon-symphonie-en-fa-majeur-op-24 which at £35 is a bargain, compared to the prices charged for some orchestral scores!

For the sake of completenes, I see they also have the full (study) score of the Symphonic Variations here: https://www.prestomusic.com/sheet-music/products/8784634--boellmann-leon-variations-symphoniques-pour-violoncelle-et-orchestre-op-23 a snip at only £26.

Both appear to be reprints of the original Hoeflich editions.
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2021, 05:36:54 pm »

I agree that £35 is an excellent price for the full score of the Symphony. No need to shell out any money on the Symphonic Variations, however, since the full score for that work can be downloaded from IMSLP.
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2021, 05:56:50 pm »

I agree that £35 is an excellent price for the full score of the Symphony. No need to shell out any money on the Symphonic Variations, however, since the full score for that work can be downloaded from IMSLP.

Oh blimey! If I had a brain, I'd be dangerous. I ought to have known that the score of the Symphonic Variations was available at IMSLP as I downloaded it myself in October 2011. Thanks, Gareth. :-[
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2021, 03:18:36 pm »

This has now appeared in the 'Future Releases' section at Presto Classical; scheduled releasse date, 9th Jul 2021.
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8917737--boellmann-symphonie-en-fa-majeur-variations-symphoniques-quatre-pieces-breves

The tempo marking of the second movement is given as 'Allegro ben marcato'.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: