The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:40:46 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Musical Parodies

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Musical Parodies  (Read 687 times)
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« on: May 18, 2021, 12:09:11 pm »

Just listening to Fauré's Souvenirs de Bayreuth for piano duet included in Radio 3's "Composer of the Week". It's basically a quadrille based on themes from Wagner's Ring Cycle. Hilarious, and long a favourite of mine. Any others?

:D
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest822
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 03:49:43 pm »

I think you'd have to go a long way to beat Malcolm Arnold's A Grand, Grand Festival Overture op 57 as written for one of the Hoffnung Festivals in the 1950s. It parodies just about every convention you can think of. And while I'm on the subject of Hoffnung Festivals, Donald Swann's send-up of the Andante of Haydn's Surprise Symphony is hilarious. Likewise, Franz Reizenstein's Concerto Popolare for Piano and Orchestra, which welds/stitches/nails together Grieg, Tchaikovsky's 1st and Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue into a sort of Frankenstein's Monster of a concerto, is hysterical. The only problem is that for a few weeks after hearing it, you can't listen to any of the original pieces without expecting to be tipped headlong into one of the others at any moment.

Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 08:43:12 pm »

I think you'd have to go a long way to beat Malcolm Arnold's A Grand, Grand Festival Overture op 57 as written for one of the Hoffnung Festivals in the 1950s. It parodies just about every convention you can think of.

As you know, I'm an Arnoldite. Everything that came from his pen came for a purpose - to COMMUNICATE. What a great man he was!

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
guest822
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 10:28:16 pm »

As you know, I'm an Arnoldite.

Me too. I have Richard Hickox's recordings of symphonies 1-6 and Rumon Gamba's of nos 7-9 (and sundry others conducted by Charlie Groves and Arnold himself). And quite a bit of other stuff too!  :)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 10:41:07 pm »

Malcolm Arnold's A Grand,Grand Festival Overture is an absolute riot! Which reminds me! I downloaded some files of the Hoffnung Festival's which I put on cdr-s,and I must get around to listening to them!! It also reminds me that I must get some vacumn cleaner bags! It's like one of those reality shows where people go back to Edwardian times,here! What with all the sweeping and wringing out sheets and trousers with me bare 'ands!! :( ;D
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 10:51:20 pm »

It's like one of those reality shows where people go back to Edwardian times,here! What with all the sweeping and wringing out sheets and trousers with me bare 'ands!! :( ;D
What a charming olde-world image that conjures up!

You Rang, M'lord?  ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2021, 02:20:32 pm »

Have you tried this delightful Foxtrot by Leopold Krauss-Elka:
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2021, 08:00:33 pm »

Have you tried this delightful Foxtrot by Leopold Krauss-Elka

But an absolute hoot!
Report Spam   Logged
Santo Neuenwelt
Level 2

Times thanked: 8

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2021, 05:36:52 pm »

Here are a few chamber music spoofs

Haydn's South American Lapses by Werner Thomas Mifune can be heard on Youtube

3 Quartets in comic style by Richard Thiele can be heard at http://www.editionsilvertrust.com/thiele-comic-quartet2.htm

Six Comic pieces for quartet by Antonin Razek can be heard at http://www.editionsilvertrust.com/razek-comic-pieces.htm
includes such gems as Morning in the chicken coop and Lady Frog Boogie

The Flying Dutchman Flying Dutchman Overture as Played by Bad Spa Orchestra at 7 AM by the Well by Hindemith can be heard on Youtube

Minimax, Military Music for String Quartet by Hindemith can be heard on Youtube, includes such gems as Dandylions by the brookside, Water poet and Bird farmer a take off on Poet & Peasant Overture et.al.

Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2022, 07:20:28 am »

Me too. I have Richard Hickox's recordings of symphonies 1-6 and Rumon Gamba's of nos 7-9 (and sundry others conducted by Charlie Groves and Arnold himself). And quite a bit of other stuff too!  :)
It seems to me that Rumon Gamba's performances are sometimes bland and lacking in emotion. Anyone else feel that way?
Report Spam   Logged
britishcomposer
Level 3

Times thanked: 36

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2022, 05:18:30 pm »

I remember a comment by a BBC radio host introducing a broadcast of an Arnold  symphony. He said that in his late years Arnold preferred listening to the Rumon Gamba cycle of his symphonies.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2022, 08:01:37 pm »

It seems to me that Rumon Gamba's performances are sometimes bland and lacking in emotion. Anyone else feel that way?

Gamba is at his best in the earlier symphonies (1-4), but after that, as Arnold's idiom darkens further, I prefer Vernon Handley and Andrew Penny. Gamba's 7th for Chandos is just bloody rubbish - rushed and uninvolved in what is one of the most devastating of 20th century British symphonies. Yet in other repertoire, he's excellent. It's a shame that Hickox did not complete the cycle, being "uncertain" about 7-9...

::)
Report Spam   Logged

Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2022, 09:28:14 pm »

Well, surely the most famous musical parody is Bartok's go at Shostakovich in his Concerto for Orchestra?
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2022, 07:46:54 am »

I remember a comment by a BBC radio host introducing a broadcast of an Arnold  symphony. He said that in his late years Arnold preferred listening to the Rumon Gamba cycle of his symphonies.
perhaps in his late years Arnold was hard of hearing
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2022, 03:42:36 pm »

Gamba is at his best in the earlier symphonies (1-4), but after that, as Arnold's idiom darkens further, I prefer Vernon Handley and Andrew Penny. Gamba's 7th for Chandos is just bloody rubbish - rushed and uninvolved in what is one of the most devastating of 20th century British symphonies. Yet in other repertoire, he's excellent. It's a shame that Hickox did not complete the cycle, being "uncertain" about 7-9...

::)
I was going to say I quite liked Gamba's somewhat manic 7th;but I'm glad I didn't now!! And,let's face it,there's a difference between 'manic' and 'frantic'! It sound's like Gamba either wasn't really keen on the score himself,or maybe he had something else on his mind! (Perhaps he missed lunch?) I thought his Ninth was allright. But Vernon Handley & Penny are much better! I wasn't too keen on Hickox's recording's myself. I found them a tad bland. But that's just me,I suppose?! Malcolm Arnold's super-slow Seventh at least,arguably,gives you some insight into the man's state of mind! I think it would be quite fun if Lyrita were to release it on cd. (Did I really say,fun?!! :o ;D) Hopefully,Itter's copy (if had one) doesn't include police radio messages,interesting & nostalgic as they were for old duffers like me who used to drive their family mad by tuning the family radio to the top of the FM band. (My mother would turn on Woman's Hour in the kitchen,only to hear CHARLIE,TANGO,FOXTROT,NOVEMBER! BLEEP! CHIP PAN FIRE AT NO 3 MAES-Y-LLAN!) A cd of Arnold's broadcast recording's of No 6 and 4 (Not the one on the Lyrita cd) would be very nice,too! (I've got them on cd-r's).
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: