The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:47:50 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Sir Arthur Sullivan: songs

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sir Arthur Sullivan: songs  (Read 827 times)
guest822
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2021, 04:01:36 pm »

Your silver tongue has worked its magic again. I just filled in the form on line; and I am pleased to see that, as an OAP, I get cheap membership.  ;D

You won't regret it, it really is a great society to be a part of!

;D

There's a substantial article coming out in Magazine 106 (June) which may be of interest, perhaps...

;)
I look forward to it with keen anticipation... I wonder what it can be about. ???
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2021, 04:45:46 pm »

I look forward to it with keen anticipation... I wonder what it can be about. ???

Probably nothing of any great import...

;D

...still, it'll be handy if the Izal runs out (remember that? My grandma swore by it, whilst we swore at it): the paper used for the magazine is probably about the same impenetrable consistency. Ouch!

:o :o :o
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
guest822
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2021, 05:00:52 pm »

;D

...still, it'll be handy if the Izal runs out (remember that? My grandma swore by it, whilst we swore at it): the paper used for the magazine is probably about the same impenetrable consistency. Ouch!

That takes me back! When I started my career in the civil service the facilities were provided with Izal, oft referred to as "Government forms (blank)". Every year at the conference of the Civil and Public Servants' Association (the then civil servants' union) there was a motion (appropriately enough) that soft lavatory paper be provided instead. It took years for this to be agreed by management. I'm sure many elderly retired civil servants (such as myself) are still suffering the after-effects of having had to use this wretched stuff!

Lordy, lordy, another thread derailment! :-[ 
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2021, 05:17:26 pm »

Lordy, lordy, another thread derailment! :-[ 

Hey, it's a good 'un...

:D
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2021, 05:45:13 pm »

;D

My grandfather (my mother's father) used to swear by Izal (and no wonder! :o ;D) and they always had it in the loo when I visited! I can remember kids using it to write on at school. It could also be used as tracing paper,I seem to remember?!
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2021, 05:52:04 pm »

It could also be used as tracing paper,I seem to remember?!
Oh yes, I'd forgotten that.  ;D It was much better for use as tracing paper than for, er... the purpose for which it was actually devised!
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2021, 05:52:31 pm »

Oh yes, I'd forgotten that.  ;D It was much better for use as tracing paper than for, er... the purpose for which it was actually devised!

I wonder what cleansing-agent Sir Arthur Sullivan used (possibly whilst penning his wonderful songs)...

;D ;D ;D
Report Spam   Logged

guest822
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2021, 06:12:53 pm »

I wonder what cleansing-agent Sir Arthur Sullivan used (possibly whilst penning his wonderful songs)...

;D ;D ;D

Hooray! Back on track! (I'm not sure for how long, though...)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2021, 06:21:59 pm »

Why didn't they just make tracing paper instead?!!
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2021, 06:25:24 pm »

Can't say that I hold out much hope...

...excellent work!

;D
Report Spam   Logged

guest822
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2021, 06:26:19 pm »

Now, if only they'd had you on their board of directors!
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2021, 06:27:16 pm »

Can't say that I hold out much hope...

...excellent work!

;D
And it wasn't my fault this time!
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2021, 07:23:02 pm »

Fear not, blame will find its proper resting place and the Furies will descend. Oh, perhaps not - it looks as though they've taken advantage of the lifting of lockdown restrictions and nipped out to the local Wetherspoons for a pint and some pork-scratchings...

::)

Report Spam   Logged

guest822
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2021, 07:46:46 pm »

Fear not, blame will find its proper resting place and the Furies will descend. Oh, perhaps not - it looks as though they've taken advantage of the lifting of lockdown restrictions and nipped out to the local Wetherspoons for a pint and some pork-scratchings...

::)

My word, how I could murder a pint (or several) and some pork scratchings. Or some dry-roasted nuts! :-*
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2021, 08:00:13 pm »

My word, how I could murder a pint (or several) and some pork scratchings. Or some dry-roasted nuts! :-*

Your wish is my command...

...enjoy!

:D
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: