The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:47:38 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Three Choirs Festival 2021

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Three Choirs Festival 2021  (Read 935 times)
guest822
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2021, 02:05:06 pm »

I've just discovered that a snippet of SC-T's Solemn Prelude was played on BBC Radio 3's "In Tune" on 23 July. There's not enough of a sample to make any type of qualitative judgments but just a few bars of harmony and orchestration leave one in no doubt about who composed this! It can be found here https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000y1cd 1 hour 27 minutes in but be quick because it will vanish soon.

Just in case we never hear it again, I've uploaded an mp3 of this tantalising excerpt (recorded in rehearsal) to BIMA.

:)

Ugh! Far worse than cats, think this one's from Cheshire...

:P

Thank you. I do hope we hear the whole thing again soon.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2021, 02:31:02 pm »

I've just discovered that a snippet of SC-T's Solemn Prelude was played on BBC Radio 3's "In Tune" on 23 July. There's not enough of a sample to make any type of qualitative judgments but just a few bars of harmony and orchestration leave one in no doubt about who composed this! It can be found here https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000y1cd 1 hour 27 minutes in but be quick because it will vanish soon.

Just in case we never hear it again, I've uploaded an mp3 of this tantalising excerpt (recorded in rehearsal) to BIMA.

Indeed! What a shame the orchestral parts were lost for such a long time, otherwise it might have been recorded before now, possibly in the 1990s when Argo were active in resurrecting C-T: Ballade in A minor, Symphonic Variations (whatever happened to Grant Llewellyn? You never hear of him recording now though he's only 60)

???

and a complete Hiawatha (Kenneth Alwyn is excused such enquiry as he died in 2020 aged 95).

https://www.britishmusicsociety.co.uk/2020/12/obituary-conductor-kenneth-alwyn/

:(

Another opportunity for a well-deserved knighthood missed - why are we so crap at publicly recognising our native conductors (Thomson, Handley, Hickox, etc.) during their lifetime, when they devote so much labour to preserving our heritage? Wood, Beecham, Boult, Barbirolli, Groves, Davis and Rattle were duly honoured, but few others have been given "the gong". Arise, Sir Martyn Brabbins, Sir John Andrews, Sir David Lloyd-Jones, Sir John Wilson and Sir Martin Yates...

;D

Sir Bill Gates, Sir Ronald Reagan, Sir George H.W. Bush, Sir Bono, all honorary but who makes these (no doubt well-financed) decisions. Hmmmmm.......

:-\

Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
guest822
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2021, 04:40:22 pm »

Indeed! What a shame the orchestral parts were lost for such a long time, otherwise it might have been recorded before now, possibly in the 1990s when Argo were active in resurrecting C-T: Ballade in A minor, Symphonic Variations (whatever happened to Grant Llewellyn? You never hear of him recording now though he's only 60)

???

and a complete Hiawatha (Kenneth Alwyn is excused such enquiry as he died in 2020 aged 95).

https://www.britishmusicsociety.co.uk/2020/12/obituary-conductor-kenneth-alwyn/

:(

Another opportunity for a well-deserved knighthood missed - why are we so crap at publicly recognising our native conductors (Thomson, Handley, Hickox, etc.) during their lifetime, when they devote so much labour to preserving our heritage? Wood, Beecham, Boult, Barbirolli, Groves, Davis and Rattle were duly honoured, but few others have been given "the gong". Arise, Sir Martyn Brabbins, Sir John Andrews, Sir David Lloyd-Jones, Sir John Wilson and Sir Martin Yates...

;D

Sir Bill Gates, Sir Ronald Reagan, Sir George H.W. Bush, Sir Bono, all honorary but who makes these (no doubt well-financed) decisions. Hmmmmm.......

:-\

They, whoever they are, seem more willing to bestow honorary knighthoods on foreign conductors, such as André Previn and Bernard Haitink, than on our own. It's not that I begrudge those gentlement the titles; I don't. Indeed, I feel they entirely deserved them, but British conductors should get their proper reward too, as they did in earlier times.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: