The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:07:50 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Three Choirs Festival 2021

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Three Choirs Festival 2021  (Read 942 times)
guest822
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2021, 08:55:08 am »

Elgar found time to write to August Jaeger that "Taylor's prelude went well...  I revelled in the opening & the close but I could not 'sequentiate' (!)the middle: he is a dear chap & it's all so human and yearning". That seems to indicate that this is a work worth hearing.

It certainly sounds like a substantial piece from Coleridge-Taylor's "halcyon" years when he was regarded as a rising star in the musical firmament. Well worth resurrecting, I'd say: hopefully the Three Choirs Festival performance in Worcester Cathedral will roll away the stone...
 ;)

;D Hear! hear!
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2021, 07:58:53 pm »

He got the commission for the Solemn Prelude on the strength of the huge popular and critical success of his Ballade in A minor at the 1898 Three Choirs Festival - it will be fascinating to see how the Solemn Prelude measures up to this...

:)
Yes, indeed. Given Novello's history in such matters it's quite an achievement for the orchestral librarian to track down the parts; as usual, while the string parts were printed, the wind parts and full score were only available in MS on hire from the publisher. If the parts are still available through Chester/Novello I'd be surprised. However, SC-T's MS full score is in the British Library and so if authentic new parts had to be created it would have been possible to do so.

I have read through SC-T's piano reduction at IMSLP; of course, he was a composer who thought orchestrally and it's documented that he didn't use the piano when composing. The piano reduction is decidedly clunky when viewed as piano music and although his wonderful skill as an orchestrator would have clothed this monochromatic version in glorious colours the detail of which we can only guess at (at least until 27 July!) the structure of the piece is, of course, clear and it reads to me as a very grand affair indeed. In one way, it's typical of its composer in terms of his use of thematic transformation and his clever modulations into a succession of remote keys. However, it's unusual in that he keeps to the same Lento tempo throughout, obviously keen to maintain the solemn mood indicated by the title.

An interesting factoid is that the Solemn Prelude was dedicated to Nicholas Kilburn, friend of Elgar (and dedicatee of The Music Makers).

Apparently, the orchestral librarian didn't track down the parts as they had long since vanished. (Thanks, Novello.) According to the BBC Music Magazine, a new score has indeed been produced from SC-T's MS (which, as I previously noted, is in the British Library). It's to be published by Faber Music (bless 'em), and further performances are already planned by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and the London Philharmonic Orchestra, no less. https://www.fabermusic.com/news/faber-music-publishes-forgotten-coleridge-taylor-work30062021
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2021, 06:58:50 am »

Apparently, the orchestral librarian didn't track down the parts as they had long since vanished. (Thanks, Novello.) According to the BBC Music Magazine, a new score has indeed been produced from SC-T's MS (which, as I previously noted, is in the British Library). It's to be published by Faber Music (bless 'em), and further performances are already planned by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and the London Philharmonic Orchestra, no less. https://www.fabermusic.com/news/faber-music-publishes-forgotten-coleridge-taylor-work30062021

Great news - sometimes there are still sparks of initiative!

:D

How many other unpublished autograph/ copyist scores lurk at the BL ripe for rediscovery?

::)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
guest822
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2021, 09:46:48 am »

Great news - sometimes there are still sparks of initiative!

How many other unpublished autograph/ copyist scores lurk at the BL ripe for rediscovery?

::)

God only knows; a lot, that's for sure. What's particularly encouraging to me about this story is that the Three Choirs Festival CEO, Dr. Alexis Paterson, actually went out hunting for this score, which exemplifies that the resurgence in interest in SC-T's music seems to be gathering some real momentum.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2021, 11:29:26 am »

What's particularly encouraging to me about this story is that the Three Choirs Festival CEO, Dr. Alexis Paterson, actually went out hunting for this score, which exemplifies that the resurgence in interest in SC-T's music seems to be gathering some real momentum.

As repertoire continues to open up and composers are "re-discovered", it often has a knock-on effect: Spohr-Ries-Sterndale Bennett, Potter; Parry-Stanford-Mackenzie-German-Cowen, etc. The more research and musical proselytizing the better...

Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
guest822
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2021, 11:58:52 am »

The more research and musical proselytizing the better...
Well said, that man!
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2021, 11:34:29 am »

I don't know if last night's concert was recorded for a future broadcast but the Philharmonia Orchestra's Twitter feed implies SC-T's Solemn Prelude went down well, at least in rehearsal. They retweeted a post from Faber Music who wrote, "Thrilling to hear our new edition of Samuel Coleridge-Taylor's Solemn Prelude come to life ahead of tonight's performance", and they later tweeted, "Rehearsal for tonight's revival of Samuel Coleridge-Taylor's Solemn Prelude is in full flow! Wow, what a piece!! It hasn't been heard in over a century... history in the making here". For an orchestra to say "Wow, what a piece!!" is quite something, when you consider that orchestral musicians can have a reputation for being a cynical lot. :D

I shall keep eyes peeled for any reviews...
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2021, 11:37:14 am »

I don't know if last night's concert was recorded for a future broadcast but the Philharmonia Orchestra's Twitter feed implies SC-T's Solemn Prelude went down well, at least in rehearsal. They retweeted a post from Faber Music who wrote, "Thrilling to hear our new edition of Samuel Coleridge-Taylor's Solemn Prelude come to life ahead of tonight's performance", and they later tweeted, "Rehearsal for tonight's revival of Samuel Coleridge-Taylor's Solemn Prelude is in full flow! Wow, what a piece!! It hasn't been heard in over a century... history in the making here". For an orchestra to say "Wow, what a piece!!" is quite something, when you consider that orchestral musicians can have a reputation for be a cynical lot. :D

I'm sure it will have been recorded (fingers-crossed) for broadcast. If so, it will certainly find a place in BIMA.

;)
Report Spam   Logged

guest822
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2021, 11:39:18 am »

I don't know if last night's concert was recorded for a future broadcast but the Philharmonia Orchestra's Twitter feed implies SC-T's Solemn Prelude went down well, at least in rehearsal. They retweeted a post from Faber Music who wrote, "Thrilling to hear our new edition of Samuel Coleridge-Taylor's Solemn Prelude come to life ahead of tonight's performance", and they later tweeted, "Rehearsal for tonight's revival of Samuel Coleridge-Taylor's Solemn Prelude is in full flow! Wow, what a piece!! It hasn't been heard in over a century... history in the making here". For an orchestra to say "Wow, what a piece!!" is quite something, when you consider that orchestral musicians can have a reputation for be a cynical lot. :D

I'm sure it will have been recorded (fingers-crossed) for broadcast. If so, it will certainly find a place in BIMA.

;)

I do hope you're right about that.
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2021, 06:12:47 pm »

Well, the first of the reviews is in. Simon Cummings on bachtrack.com heads his review "Coleridge-Taylor shines at the Three Choirs Festival, but Elgar and Jackson disappoint". Of SC-T's Solemn Prelude he writes, "Why on earth Samuel Coleridge-Taylor’s short Solemn Prelude has had to wait 120 years to receive a second performance is anyone’s guess. Premiered in this very venue during this very festival back in 1899, one imagines the piece must have made just as stunning an impact as it did on this occasion. At times curiously bringing to mind Rachmaninov, the piece struck an interesting balance between solemnity and passion, Coleridge-Taylor’s lengthy melodic strands bedecked in lush romantic clothing. Rhythmically gentle, all soft edges and curved lines, it suited the cathedral’s acoustic perfectly, though in hindsight, coming at the start of the concert, it set the bar too high for what was to follow. Here was nothing but clarity, avoiding all traces of indulgence, communing a gorgeous, immediate, and very personal musical power."  :D

For those who wish to read why Mr Cummings was less than impressed by the rest of the concert, the full review is here: https://bachtrack.com/review-coleridge-taylor-jackson-elgar-hill-philharmonia-three-choirs-festival-worcester-july-2021
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2021, 07:32:05 am »

Well, the first of the reviews is in. Simon Cummings on bachtrack.com heads his review "Coleridge-Taylor shines at the Three Choirs Festival, but Elgar and Jackson disappoint". Of SC-T's Solemn Prelude he writes, "Why on earth Samuel Coleridge-Taylor’s short Solemn Prelude has had to wait 120 years to receive a second performance is anyone’s guess. Premiered in this very venue during this very festival back in 1899, one imagines the piece must have made just as stunning an impact as it did on this occasion. At times curiously bringing to mind Rachmaninov, the piece struck an interesting balance between solemnity and passion, Coleridge-Taylor’s lengthy melodic strands bedecked in lush romantic clothing. Rhythmically gentle, all soft edges and curved lines, it suited the cathedral’s acoustic perfectly, though in hindsight, coming at the start of the concert, it set the bar too high for what was to follow. Here was nothing but clarity, avoiding all traces of indulgence, communing a gorgeous, immediate, and very personal musical power."  :D

Clearly an impressive piece has been rediscovered, which only makes me wish even more for a broadcast: better keep an eye on the R3 schedule...

8)
Report Spam   Logged

Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2021, 09:08:02 am »

The Festival brochure itself gives a different programme for the concert...

Coleridge-Taylor: Solemn Prelude
Copland: Appalachian Spring
Armstrong Gibbs: Symphony No.2, Odysseus

...and the conductor as Adrian Partington.

see page 23 - https://issuu.com/3choirs/docs/three_choirs_festival_worcester_2021_brochure

???
Report Spam   Logged

guest822
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2021, 09:42:09 am »

see page 23 - https://issuu.com/3choirs/docs/three_choirs_festival_worcester_2021_brochure

???

I guess the changes were forced on them by Covid-related issues. It's a shame about Armstrong Gibbs's Odysseus but at least there's a good commercial recording of that if anyone wants to hear it. Maybe organising chorus rehearsals proved problematic. And if I never hear Appalachian Spring again, it will be too soon. ;)
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2021, 09:55:45 am »

???

I guess the changes were forced on them by Covid-related issues. It's a shame about Armstrong Gibbs's Odysseus but at least there's a good commercial recording of that if anyone wants to hear it. Maybe organising chorus rehearsals proved problematic. And if I never hear Appalachian Spring again, it will be too soon. ;)

Yes, probably yet another casualty of the pandemic. The Dutton recording of Gibbs' Odysseus is indeed excellent...

...and you get some lovely Dyson too.

;)
Report Spam   Logged

guest822
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2021, 10:09:47 am »

???

From my selfish point of view, the main thing is that SC-T's Solemn Prelude rode out the challenges (triumphantly so, it would seem)!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: