The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:11:27 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Three Choirs Festival 2021

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Three Choirs Festival 2021  (Read 937 times)
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2021, 02:53:26 pm »

A review of Tuesday's concert has appeared in the on-line version of today's Guardian. Although the report concentrates on Gabriel Jackson's The World Imagined, the headline itself reads, "A new commission from Gabriel Jackson came across vividly in the cathedral acoustic, in august company alongside a rare revived piece by Samuel Coleridge-Taylor." It's rewarding to know that the (anonymous) reviewer regards SC-T' s company as 'august'! And the review does conclude: "This festival commission puts Jackson in august company. At Worcester, in 1899, the young Samuel Coleridge-Taylor conducted the premiere of his Solemn Prelude while Edward Elgar conducted his Enigma Variations in that same concert. Pairing the two pieces again – only the Coleridge-Taylor’s second outing – conductor David Hill ensured a vibrant sense of occasion and history revisited".

All the more reason why Coleridge-Taylor's Solemn Prelude should be made available either from this performance or from a subsequent recording...

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
guest822
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2021, 03:03:19 pm »

A review of Tuesday's concert has appeared in the on-line version of today's Guardian. Although the report concentrates on Gabriel Jackson's The World Imagined, the headline itself reads, "A new commission from Gabriel Jackson came across vividly in the cathedral acoustic, in august company alongside a rare revived piece by Samuel Coleridge-Taylor." It's rewarding to know that the (anonymous) reviewer regards SC-T' s company as 'august'! And the review does conclude: "This festival commission puts Jackson in august company. At Worcester, in 1899, the young Samuel Coleridge-Taylor conducted the premiere of his Solemn Prelude while Edward Elgar conducted his Enigma Variations in that same concert. Pairing the two pieces again – only the Coleridge-Taylor’s second outing – conductor David Hill ensured a vibrant sense of occasion and history revisited".

All the more reason why Coleridge-Taylor's Solemn Prelude should be made available either from this performance or from a subsequent recording...

Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2021, 03:08:37 pm »

...damn the BBC for not "showing an interest" in the Three Choirs Festival.

Worra bunch of useless toss-pots.

::)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
guest822
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2021, 03:21:26 pm »

You never spoke a truer word. I despair of the BBC (as I do of so much else... :( )
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2021, 03:29:47 pm »

You never spoke a truer word. I despair of the BBC (as I do of so much else... :( )

Important music festivals, etc., should be recorded for broadcast de rigueur. No doubt the BBC is basking in the prospect of a post-lockdown Proms season...

...and simply can't be ars*d with such provincial doings. The Metrolopis is everything!

BAH!!!

>:(
Report Spam   Logged

guest822
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2021, 03:36:24 pm »

No doubt the BBC is basking in the prospect of a post-lockdown Proms season...
...and simply can't be ars*d with such provincial doings. The Metrolopis is everything!

I'm sure that's correct. What a bunch of 'Fanny's doughnuts' they are.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2021, 03:47:46 pm »

The Culture Committee of the BBC circa 2021...

...nope, no discernible brain-activity taking place. Still, yummy!

:D :D :D
Report Spam   Logged

guest822
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2021, 04:05:31 pm »

The Culture Committee of the BBC circa 2021...

...nope, no discernible brain-activity taking place. Still, yummy!

:D :D :D

;D ;D ;D
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2021, 07:39:04 pm »

I've just discovered that a snippet of SC-T's Solemn Prelude was played on BBC Radio 3's "In Tune" on 23 July. There's not enough of a sample to make any type of qualitative judgments but just a few bars of harmony and orchestration leave one in no doubt about who composed this! It can be found here https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000y1cd 1 hour 27 minutes in but be quick because it will vanish soon.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2021, 11:31:03 am »

I've just discovered that a snippet of SC-T's Solemn Prelude was played on BBC Radio 3's "In Tune" on 23 July. There's not enough of a sample to make any type of qualitative judgments but just a few bars of harmony and orchestration leave one in no doubt about who composed this! It can be found here https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000y1cd 1 hour 27 minutes in but be quick because it will vanish soon.

It must be from the Philharmonia's own recording as the BBC couldn't be bothered to turn up for this landmark performance. I'm surprised they had the audacity to broadcast even a snippet...

Report Spam   Logged

guest822
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2021, 11:40:58 am »

It must be from the Philharmonia's own recording as the BBC couldn't be bothered to turn up for this landmark performance. I'm surprised they had the audacity to broadcast even a snippet...

Yes, it was. Is there still no response to your enquiry about whether the Philharmonia might release it as a download?
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2021, 11:52:52 am »

Yes, it was. Is there still no response to your enquiry about whether the Philharmonia might release it as a download?

Nope, no response to my bleedin' pleadin' email thus far.

Report Spam   Logged

guest822
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2021, 11:59:21 am »

Nope, no response to my bleedin' pleadin' email thus far.

??? Oh well...  :'(
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2021, 12:16:22 pm »

??? Oh well...  :'(

You never know, hopefully more people will pester them to release their recording in whatever format.

Report Spam   Logged

Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2021, 12:45:24 pm »

Just in case we never hear it again, I've uploaded an mp3 of this tantalising excerpt (recorded in rehearsal) to BIMA.

Ugh! Far worse than cats, think this one's from Cheshire...

:P

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: