The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:12:47 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Rózsa: The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes (50th anniversary special edition)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rózsa: The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes (50th anniversary special edition)  (Read 221 times)
patmos.beje
Level 4

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« on: April 14, 2021, 05:52:41 am »

This superb score, based on his 1953 Violin Concerto, has been rereleased in a 2CD deluxe remastered sound version.  Although I have the sold out 2013 version, the Tadlow re-recording and, indeed, everything on the CDs bar one repaired track, it has been ordered.  :) :D ;D

The original Heifetz recording of the Violin Concerto is included in remastered sound.

Sound samples can be heard under ‘Tracklist’.

https://quartetrecords.com/product/the-private-life-of-sherlock-holmes-2-cd/

See also:

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=143632&forumID=1&archive=0

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/miklosrozsa/holmes-is-back-and-better-than-ever-t2000.html
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest822
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 05:45:54 pm »

This superb score, based on his 1953 Violin Concerto, has been rereleased in a 2CD deluxe remastered sound version.  Although I have the sold out 2013 version, the Tadlow re-recording and, indeed, everything on the CDs bar one repaired track, it has been ordered.  :) :D ;D

The original Heifetz recording of the Violin Concerto is included in remastered sound.

Sound samples can be heard under ‘Tracklist’.

https://quartetrecords.com/product/the-private-life-of-sherlock-holmes-2-cd/

See also:

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=143632&forumID=1&archive=0

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/miklosrozsa/holmes-is-back-and-better-than-ever-t2000.html

Thank you, patmos.beje, for the heads-up. We can all think of examples of film music being repurposed as concert music but is this a unique example of a composer expanding and re-using a concert work for use as film music? Rózsa is a fine composer and the Violin Concerto is a rollicking good piece. Is it worth shelling out the extra cash for this, though? Do I get that much more for my money (other than re-mixes of chunks of the concerto)?
Report Spam   Logged
patmos.beje
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2021, 07:55:40 pm »

Thank you, patmos.beje, for the heads-up. We can all think of examples of film music being repurposed as concert music but is this a unique example of a composer expanding and re-using a concert work for use as film music? Rózsa is a fine composer and the Violin Concerto is a rollicking good piece. Is it worth shelling out the extra cash for this, though? Do I get that much more for my money (other than re-mixes of chunks of the concerto)?

Apologies for not responding to this question until now.

I would include the Sherlock Holmes score in my top 10 favourite Rózsa film scores.  It is generally regarded as one of his best scores which, from a composer who wrote many top quality film scores, is a high recommendation.  If one is not interested in Rózsa or film scores there is no reason to purchase this, or the better sounding Tadlow re-recording.  However, the score contains several attractive themes, including an Elgarian sounding one, to represent London and Scotland, where Queen Victoria appears near Loch Ness!  (Rózsa also includes Elgarian sounding themes in his scores for his war movies  Five Graves to Cairo and, in my opinion, Sahara).  The themes of the Violin Concerto appear as they are in the film score, not modified in any material way.  However, the opening themes of the first and third movements are for the orchestra alone but most times the gorgeous slow movement appears, it appears as it does in the Violin Concerto (i.e. with violin).  The film score is an interesting way to hear the Concerto in a different and larger context. Whether one gets much more for your money than the Concerto alone is a subjective judgement.  For me, I get my money’s worth!
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 09:36:42 pm »

Apologies for not responding to this question until now.

I would include the Sherlock Holmes score in my top 10 favourite Rózsa scores.  It is generally regarded as one of his best scores which, from a composer who wrote many top quality film scores, is a high recommendation.  If one is not interested in Rózsa or film scores there is no reason to purchase this, or the better sounding Tadlow re-recording.  However, the score contains several attractive themes, including an Elgarian sounding one, to represent London and Scotland, where Queen Victoria appears near Loch Ness!  (Rózsa also includes Elgarian sounding themes in his scores for his war movies  Five Graves to Cairo and, in my opinion Sahara).  The themes of the Violin Concerto appear as they are in the film score, not modified in any material way.  The opening themes of the first and third movements are for the orchestra alone but most times the gorgeous slow movement appears, it appears as it does in the Violin Concerto.  The film score is an interesting way to hear the Concerto in a larger context. Whether one gets much more for your money than the Concerto alone is a subjective judgement.  For me, I get my money’s worth!

Thank you for that very comprehensive response. I can see I am going to have to get my wallet out again!
Report Spam   Logged
patmos.beje
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2021, 11:51:57 pm »

Another point worth making on the Quartet release, is it contains a suite, called Fantasy on the CD, which was prepared by English film music expert, Christopher Palmer, presumably with Rózsa's approval or instructions. Rózsa conducts the The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra in this suite.  The suite, apart from being a riviting take on the score, in the slow movement of the Violin Concerto accentuates the woodwind in a way that it is not accentuated in any recording I have heard, and, I think, I have heard all available recordings of the Violin Concerto .  The accentuation is absolutely gorgeous but, to my mind, has the unfortunate effect of diminishing the slow movement in all other recordings, insofar as they relate to the passages accentuated.  I do not believe there was any change to the score, I presume it must be down to the acoustics in the recording studio. As Rózsa conducts the suite, he must have approved the accentuation.

Only the first and second movements of the Violin Concerto appear in the Fantasy and the first movement contains the violin part, which is not the case when the first movement appears in the film.

Polydor released 3 LPs called Rózsa conducts Rózsa in the 1970s with excellent suites of music from many of his film scores over his long career.  The Sherlock Holmes Fantasy appeared on Volume 1.  The release of these on CD has long been asked for by those who love or admire Rózsa's music.  I happily was given an excellent private rip from immaculate sounding LPs.  However, if they were ever released on CD I would buy them in an instant.

The Fantasy has been available for more than a decade on YouTube.  The accentuation I am talking about begins at 4:04 but will be meaningless unless one knows the slow movement from other recordings.

See: 
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2021, 12:28:44 am »

I personally love film music, a much underrated genre with composers of the calibre of Korngold, Waxman, Steiner, Rózsa, Herrmann, etc. Thanks so much for this!

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: