The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 18, 2024, 08:41:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Erik Chisholm Songs on Delphian Records (June release).

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Erik Chisholm Songs on Delphian Records (June release).  (Read 152 times)
patmos.beje
Level 4

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2021, 03:06:15 pm »

Recorded in September last year and due for release in June.

Limited information currently available.

https://www.delphianrecords.com/products/erik-chisholm-songs?_pos=2&_sid=9fbccf3c5&_ss=r

See also:

https://www.facebook.com/erikchisholmcomposer/

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest822
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 04:20:27 pm »

Thank you for the alert and the links, patmos.beje. I have the Hyperion recordings of Chisholm's Piano Concertos and the Violin Concerto but I can't honestly say that the style appeals to me very much. I'd be interested in the views of other members: am I missing something? Songs are, of course, a very different medium and so I might find them more to my liking, I suppose. The involvement of Nicky Spence and Iain Burnside is encouraging.
Report Spam   Logged
patmos.beje
Level 4

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 08:31:03 pm »

Thank you for the alert and the links, patmos.beje. I have the Hyperion recordings of Chisholm's Piano Concertos and the Violin Concerto but I can't honestly say that the style appeals to me very much. I'd be interested in the views of other members: am I missing something? Songs are, of course, a very different medium and so I might find them more to my liking, I suppose. The involvement of Nicky Spence and Iain Burnside is encouraging.

I admire the music of Chisholm and find his modernistic style rather intriguing (the Second Piano Concerto and Violin Concerto being influenced by Indian ragas and part of a triptych, along with a Concerto for Orchestra, only performed, quite recently, in a version for 2 pianos). I couldn’t say that I love his music or that it affects me emotionally.  It certainly was not, for me, immediately appealing or instantly memorable music.  But everything I have heard, at least so far as the orchestral music is concerned, created a sufficiently favourable impression to encourage me to want to listen again.

By so doing, I have found his music quite rewarding, albeit after repeated hearings (particularly so in the case of the Second Piano Concerto and Violin Concerto).  On the lighter side, the three orchestrated piano preludes ‘From the Edge of the True World’ were immediately memorable and his ‘Pictures from Dante’ on Dutton made an initial strong impact.   That may have been because the ‘Paradiso’ is in the medieval dorian mode, although John Purser, in his biography of Chisholm, thought the religious theme was not original, though he couldn’t identify where it came from.

My interest in pursuing Chisholm came from buying his book The Operas of Leoš Janáček when I was a teenager.  The introductory section contained an essay which discussed music he had composed, including the piano and violin concertos.  In 2010 or so I purchased a CD from the Erik Chisholm Trust.  This led to me entering into some correspondence with his eldest daughter Morag, after she wrote to me enquiring what had interested me in her father’s music.  She assumed I was an accomplished pianist, which I am not.

Songs with piano generally don’t interest me too much.  However, I will buy the Delphian CD when it is released.
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 09:55:05 am »

I admire the music of Chisholm and find his modernistic style rather intriguing (the Second Piano Concerto and Violin Concerto being influenced by Indian ragas and part of a triptych, along with a Concerto for Orchestra, only performed, quite recently, in a version for 2 pianos). I couldn’t say that I love his music or that it affects me emotionally.  It certainly was not, for me, immediately appealing or instantly memorable music.  But everything I have heard, at least so far as the orchestral music is concerned, created a sufficiently favourable impression to encourage me to want to listen again.

By so doing, I have found his music quite rewarding, albeit after repeated hearings (particularly so in the case of the Second Piano Concerto and Violin Concerto).  On the lighter side, the three orchestrated piano preludes ‘From the Edge of the True World’ were immediately memorable and his ‘Pictures from Dante’ on Dutton made an initial strong impact.   That may have been because the ‘Paradiso’ is in the medieval dorian mode, although John Purser, in his biography of Chisholm, thought the religious theme was not original, though he couldn’t identify where it came from.

My interest in pursuing Chisholm came from buying his book The Operas of Leoš Janáček when I was a teenager.  The introductory section contained an essay which discussed music he had composed, including the piano and violin concertos.  In 2010 or so I purchased a CD from the Erik Chisholm Trust.  This led to me entering into some correspondence with his eldest daughter Morag, after she wrote to me enquiring what had interested me in her father’s music.  She assumed I was an accomplished pianist, which I am not.

Songs with piano generally don’t interest me too much.  However, I will buy the Delphian CD when it is released.

Thank you, patmos.beje, for that lengthy and considered post. I think you hit the nail on the head for me when you wrote, "I couldn’t say that I love his music or that it affects me emotionally". Frankly, if music doesn't affect me emotionally, I very quickly lose interest! While on an intellectual level, I like to think I can appreciate cleverness, subtlety, competence in the compositional arts (e.g., harmony, counterpoint, instrumentation), and other suchlike matters, unless music speaks to me at an emotional level, I will move on to something else that does! However, on account of your advocacy for them, I will listen to the concertos again to see if my reaction has altered.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: