The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:31:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

BBC Proms announce dates for 2021 season

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BBC Proms announce dates for 2021 season  (Read 332 times)
guest377
« on: March 31, 2021, 04:53:44 am »

The BBC Proms will take place this year in person at the Royal Albert Hall, in line with government guidance.

The BBC Proms has announced that it will run from Friday 30 July to Saturday 11 September at the Royal Albert Hall, with additional coverage on BBC Radio 3, BBC TV and online.

‘We hope to welcome live audiences back to our glorious home this summer, in line with government guidance,’ says a statement from the BBC Proms.

The Royal Albert Hall marks its 150th birthday today.

Last year’s Proms season predominantly took place online with a series of reruns of previous concerts. The last fortnight of the season took place in the Royal Albert Hall, with no audience
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 08:10:12 am »

The BBC Proms will take place this year in person at the Royal Albert Hall, in line with government guidance.

The BBC Proms has announced that it will run from Friday 30 July to Saturday 11 September at the Royal Albert Hall, with additional coverage on BBC Radio 3, BBC TV and online.

‘We hope to welcome live audiences back to our glorious home this summer, in line with government guidance,’ says a statement from the BBC Proms.

The Royal Albert Hall marks its 150th birthday today.

Last year’s Proms season predominantly took place online with a series of reruns of previous concerts. The last fortnight of the season took place in the Royal Albert Hall, with no audience

Thanks for this - if it indeed goes ahead as outlined it will be a powerful vindication of the supreme importance of music (and culture in general) in our benighted Society...

::)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
guest822
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 10:00:00 am »

Thanks for this - if it indeed goes ahead as outlined it will be a powerful vindication of the supreme importance of music (and culture in general) in our benighted Society...

Yes, indeed. I heartily agree. Still, I can't help but wonder whether there will be any programmes over which I will salivate or if it will just be a combination of "the same old stuff" and first outings of modern pieces that slither back into well-deserved obscurity thereafter.

What was that you were saying about Job's Comforters?  ;)
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 10:30:05 am »

I see that the (more-or-less) full programme has been announced, although I look for it in vain on the BBC news website. You can see it here, however:
https://www.classical-music.com/features/articles/bbc-proms-2021-full-concert-schedule/

24th August is a must for me but scrolling through now to examine the rest for nuggets.
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2021, 07:51:42 pm »

Having had the chance to look through the programme (which, understandably, has a number of "programme to be announced" entries) I have lighted on the following concerts/recitals which will be of especial interest to me:

Friday 30 July (First Night) Vaughan Williams, Serenade to Music BBC Singers, BBC Symphony Orchestra, Dalia Stasevska;

Thursday 5 August Gipps: Symphony No. 2 CBSO, Mirga Gražinytė-Tyla;

Monday 9 August Elgar, Cello Concerto; Janáček, Taras Bulba, Johannes Moser (cello) Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra, Kirill Karabits;

Tuesday 10 August Sibelius, Violin Concerto, Jennifer Pike (violin), BBC Philharmonic, John Storgårds;

Wednesday 11 August Rachmaninov, Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini Pavel Kolesnikov (piano) Aurora Orchestra, Nicholas Collon;

Tuesday 24 August Coleridge-Taylor: Hiawatha Overture; Fela Sowande, African Suite; Florence Price: Piano Concerto in One Movement; Coleridge-Taylor, Symphony in A minor, Jeneba Kanneh-Mason (piano) Chineke! Orchestra, Kalena Bovell;

Friday 27 August Walton, Viola Concerto; Arnold, Symphony No. 5 Timothy Ridout (viola) BBC Symphony Orchestra, Sakari Oramo;

Sunday 29 August Saint-Saëns, The Carnival of the Animals, The Kanneh-Mason family (and others);

Monday 30 August Saint-Saëns, Oboe Sonata; Gipps, Sea-Shore Suite; Dutilleux, Oboe Sonata; Poulenc, Oboe Sonata; Bozza, Fantaisie pastorale, François Leleux (oboe) Eric Le Sage (piano);

Thusday 2 September 20th-Century British Film Music: Doreen Carwithen, The Men of Sherwood Forest – Overture; Vaughan Williams, Three Portraits from ‘The England of Elizabeth’; Malcolm Arnold, Hobson’s Choice – Concert Suite; Malcolm Arnold, Scherzetto for clarinet and orchestra (from ‘You Know What Sailors Are’); Malcolm Arnold, The Belles of St Trinian’s – Comedy Suite (Exploits for Orchestra)  ;D BBC Concert Orchestra, Bramwell Tovey;

Saturday 4 September Korngold, Symphony Sinfonia of London, John Wilson;

Tuesday 7 September Saint-Saëns, Symphony No. 3 ‘Organ’ Anna Lapwood (organ) Hallé, Mark Elder.

How about everyone else?
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2021, 10:49:29 pm »

Having hadthe chance to look through the programme (which, understandably, has a number of "programme to be announced" entries) I have lighted on the following concerts/recitals which will be of especial interest to me

My word, seems like a goodly harvest to me - I will rummage. Saints preserve us from Petroc Trelawney...

Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
guest822
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2021, 11:05:12 pm »

Having hadthe chance to look through the programme (which, understandably, has a number of "programme to be announced" entries) I have lighted on the following concerts/recitals which will be of especial interest to me

My word, seems like a goodly harvest to me - I will rummage. Saints preserve us from Petroc Trelawney...

Better than usual, despite the fact that it's two weeks shorter. Agreed, re the dreaded Petroc. zzzzzzz
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2021, 09:19:39 am »

Having had the chance to look through the programme (which, understandably, has a number of "programme to be announced" entries) I have lighted on the following concerts/recitals which will be of especial interest to me:

Friday 27 August Walton, Viola Concerto; Arnold, Symphony No. 5 Timothy Ridout (viola) BBC Symphony Orchestra, Sakari Oramo;

Thursday 2 September 20th-Century British Film Music: Doreen Carwithen, The Men of Sherwood Forest – Overture; Vaughan Williams, Three Portraits from ‘The England of Elizabeth’; Malcolm Arnold, Hobson’s Choice – Concert Suite; Malcolm Arnold, Scherzetto for clarinet and orchestra (from ‘You Know What Sailors Are’); Malcolm Arnold, The Belles of St Trinian’s – Comedy Suite (Exploits for Orchestra)  ;D BBC Concert Orchestra, Bramwell Tovey

I'm glad that Malcolm Arnold is getting some recognition in his centenary year. According to my pull-out Radio Times guide the programme for the film music concert on 2nd September is slightly different:

Doreen Carwithen: The Men of Sherwood Forest - Overture
Malcolm Arnold: Hobson's Choice - Suite
Alan Rawsthorne: The Cruel Sea
William Walton: Escape Me Never - Suite
Elizabeth Lutyens: The Skull - excerpts
William Alwyn: Odd Man Out
Vaughan Williams: The England of Elizabeth - Three Portraits
Malcolm Arnold: The Belles of St Trinian's - Comedy Suite

:)
Report Spam   Logged

Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2021, 10:22:04 am »

Better than usual, despite the fact that it's two weeks shorter. Agreed, re the dreaded Petroc. zzzzzzz

And don't get me started on Katie Derham...

...according to the above-mentioned guide "Katie Derham will host many of the Proms on TV".

Bring in Jonathan Swain and Donald Macloed say I...

Report Spam   Logged

guest822
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2021, 11:17:49 am »

Thursday 2 September 20th-Century British Film Music: Doreen Carwithen, The Men of Sherwood Forest – Overture; Vaughan Williams, Three Portraits from ‘The England of Elizabeth’; Malcolm Arnold, Hobson’s Choice – Concert Suite; Malcolm Arnold, Scherzetto for clarinet and orchestra (from ‘You Know What Sailors Are’); Malcolm Arnold, The Belles of St Trinian’s – Comedy Suite (Exploits for Orchestra)  ;D BBC Concert Orchestra, Bramwell Tovey

I'm glad that Malcolm Arnold is getting some recognition in his centenary year. According to my pull-out Radio Times guide the programme for the film music concert on 2nd September is slightly different:

Doreen Carwithen: The Men of Sherwood Forest - Overture
Malcolm Arnold: Hobson's Choice - Suite
Alan Rawsthorne: The Cruel Sea
William Walton: Escape Me Never - Suite
Elizabeth Lutyens: The Skull - excerpts
William Alwyn: Odd Man Out
Vaughan Williams: The England of Elizabeth - Three Portraits
Malcolm Arnold: The Belles of St Trinian's - Comedy Suite

I wonder why they felt the need to amend the programme. As far as Arnold is concerned, at least Hobson's Choice and the wondeful The Belles of St Trinian's Comedy Suite remain.
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2021, 11:24:18 am »

And don't get me started on Katie Derham...

...according to the above-mentioned guide "Katie Derham will host many of the Proms on TV".

Bring in Jonathan Swain and Donald Macloed say I...

...or almost anybody else. MistaJam or Kenny Allstar would do a better job.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2021, 11:30:09 am »

Or even

Report Spam   Logged

guest822
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2021, 11:53:02 am »

Or even

Now, that reminds me of someone.  Can't quite put a name to him... ;)
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2021, 12:02:20 pm »

Or even

Tune in to Radio 3 at 5pm...

:P
Report Spam   Logged

guest822
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2021, 12:21:39 pm »

Or even

Tune in to Radio 3 at 5pm...

:P

Ah yes, that's it! ;)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: