The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 18, 2024, 03:36:58 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

William Wordsworth Volume 3 from Toccata

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: William Wordsworth Volume 3 from Toccata  (Read 216 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« on: March 29, 2021, 07:07:20 pm »

As a great admirer of the music of William Wordsworth I was delighted to hear recently that John Gibbon, the conductor, had returned to Liepaja in Latvia to record the third volume in Toccata's survey of the composer's music.
What was not clear was which works would be included on the cd.
This information is now available thanks to an advert on Naxos Direct:
https://naxosdirect.co.uk/items/william-wordsworth-orchestral-music-vol.-3-559699

I was initially a little disappointed to find that the cd will contain the Symphony No.5 given that the work featured on a relatively recent Lyrita disc. The performance Lyrita revived however was a BBC broadcast from 1979. The new recording should show this magnificent, glowing work in modern sound quality. There is nothing (pace Cilgwyn!) "grey" about Wordsworth's orchestration in what may well be his masterpiece.
Also on the cd is the Cello Concerto. This means that Gibbons and the excellent Liepaja Symphony Orchestra will have recorded all three of Wordsworth's concertos and will add another previously unrecorded British cello concerto to the discography. (We are still waiting for the Lennox Berkeley (1939), Gordon Jacob (1955), Wilfred Josephs (1962), Arnold Cooke (1973), Daniel Jones (1986), Arthur Butterworth (1997) and John McCabe (2007)-although only the Butterworth is not currently available for download here.)

The new Toccata cd will be issued in July. I hope that the Symphony No.7 "Cosmos" will follow and that it might even be possible to record Wordsworth's unperformed choral Symphony No.6 "Elegiaca" composed in memory of his son who was tragically killed in a car accident.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 07:55:33 pm »

Oops! I was just trying to give Lionel an idea of what to expect from a Daniel Jones symphony! "Grey" sounds a bit derisive. Wordsworth's orchestration is obviously far from monotone. Not that I'm an expert on his music. I did have the Lyrita cd & should have kept it,really?!! ::)
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 09:54:20 pm »

There is nothing (pace Cilgwyn!) "grey" about Wordsworth's orchestration in what may well be his masterpiece.
Oops! I was just trying to give Lionel an idea of what to expect from a Daniel Jones symphony! "Grey" sounds a bit derisive. Wordsworth's orchestration is obviously far from monotone. Not that I'm an expert on his music. I did have the Lyrita cd & should have kept it,really?!! ::)

Well, there are lots of shades of "grey"; at least 50 by some accounts!

;D  ;)
Report Spam   Logged
guest251
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 08:00:22 am »

As a great admirer of the music of William Wordsworth I was delighted to hear recently that John Gibbon, the conductor, had returned to Liepaja in Latvia to record the third volume in Toccata's survey of the composer's music.
What was not clear was which works would be included on the cd.
This information is now available thanks to an advert on Naxos Direct:
https://naxosdirect.co.uk/items/william-wordsworth-orchestral-music-vol.-3-559699

I was initially a little disappointed to find that the cd will contain the Symphony No.5 given that the work featured on a relatively recent Lyrita disc. The performance Lyrita revived however was a BBC broadcast from 1979. The new recording should show this magnificent, glowing work in modern sound quality. There is nothing (pace Cilgwyn!) "grey" about Wordsworth's orchestration in what may well be his masterpiece.
Also on the cd is the Cello Concerto. This means that Gibbons and the excellent Liepaja Symphony Orchestra will have recorded all three of Wordsworth's concertos and will add another previously unrecorded British cello concerto to the discography. (We are still waiting for the Lennox Berkeley (1939), Gordon Jacob (1955), Wilfred Josephs (1962), Arnold Cooke (1973), Daniel Jones (1986), Arthur Butterworth (1997) and John McCabe (2007)-although only the Butterworth is not currently available for download here.)

The new Toccata cd will be issued in July. I hope that the Symphony No.7 "Cosmos" will follow and that it might even be possible to record Wordsworth's unperformed choral Symphony No.6 "Elegiaca" composed in memory of his son who was tragically killed in a car accident.

Excellent news, and thanks for posting, and fingers crossed for further instalments from Toccata.

PS Welcome back Colin, you have been missed here  :)
Report Spam   Logged
guest251
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2021, 06:54:55 pm »

This in fact appearing earlier than Dundonnell thought, on 7th May, and has the honour of being Toccata Classics' 500th CD release!

Watch this space on www.prestomusic.com for more details....  ;D

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8906399--wordsworth-orch-music-vol-3
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: