The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:09:47 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Antônio Carlos Gomes (1836-1896, Brazilian)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antônio Carlos Gomes (1836-1896, Brazilian)  (Read 172 times)
guest224
« on: March 22, 2021, 06:56:47 pm »

There was a programme on the BBC last night featuring Michael Palin traveling through Brazil.  In the city of Manaus (capital of Amazonas state), there is a magnificent-looking opera house - a legacy of when it was a major production and trading hub for rubber.

While he was there, they filmed rehearsals for an opera by a Brazilian composer I had never heard of called Antônio Carlos Gomes (1836-1896).  He has been mentioned once in passing on this forum.  The rehearsals were for his opera "Il Guarany" ("The Guarany" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Il_Guarany).  It turns out there are a lot of versions of it on youtube. I can't speak expertly about the genre, but to my ears it sounds as if he fills the space between Verdi and Puccini, anyway I like what I have heard, and the overture especially.  I have scoured youtube for his other works and have copy-pasted here links mostly to the overtures of his other operas, complete versions of which are also on youtube. After Il Guarany, it seems "Lo Schiavo" ("The Slave" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lo_schiavo) is his most popular work, premiered in 1889 when slavery was a very hot issue in Brazil which only abolished it in 1888. From it, the 8-minute orchestral piece "Alvorada" (meaning "Dawn") is particularly lovely.

Dawn (“Alvorada”, from Lo Schiavo)

Prelude (Lo Schiavo)

Il Guarany - overture

Il Guarany - ballet

Fosca – overture

Fosca – overture to Act 4

Noite do Castelo - overture

Ave Maria

Quem Sabe

Maria Tudor - overture

Salvator Rosa – overture-sinfonia

Colombo (cantata) - introduction

Missa de Sao Sebastiao

Joana de Flandres - overture

Condor (aka “Odalea”) – overture

Condor – Noturno

Saluto del Brasile

Saudade
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 07:34:41 pm »

Thanks so much for this! My main area of interest is, as you know, British Victorian-Edwardian music (sadly still neglected), but anything new is a real treat!

;D
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
guest822
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 07:38:50 pm »

Great spot, christopher, thanks. I listened to "Alvorada" because you said it was "particularly lovely" and indeed it is. My view is that if there is lovely music out there that I am unaware of, you can do me no greater favour than to alert me to it so thanks again! I shall listen to the rest with interest.

Incidentally, I see there are commercially available recordings of some of his works (including Lo Schiavo) as well: https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/composers/779--gomes
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 08:53:46 pm »

Thanks Lionel.  Yes Alvorada (meaning Dawn) is the kind of piece (much like Grieg's) that, if you didn't already know the title, you would guess is probably called that. A feeling of waking up and the sun's splendour taking over the sky.

Great spot, christopher, thanks. I listened to "Alvorada" because you said it was "particularly lovely" and indeed it is. My view is that if there is lovely music out there that I am unaware of, you can do me no greater favour than to alert me to it so thanks again! I shall listen to the rest with interest.

Incidentally, I see there are commercially available recordings of some of his works (including Lo Schiavo) as well: https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/composers/779--gomes
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: