The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:56:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Hello Again!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello Again!  (Read 2014 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2021, 03:21:18 pm »

A nice surprise! Welcome back,Colin (Dundonnell)! I greatly,missed your contributions,knowledge and dry wit! :)
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2021, 06:53:56 pm »

Hello Colin and indeed welcome back, I have certainly missed your erudite and knowledgeable posts.  I am sorry to hear of the difficulties you have been experiencing and wish you the strength to overcome them.  I'm really looking forward to reading your future contributions!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2021, 11:02:47 pm »

You are all extremely kind and I do so much appreciate the sentiments expressed!

It is however difficult to recognise some of these descriptions. I have never thought of myself as possessing much of a sense of humour, let alone a "dry wit". And I certainly make no claims to musical "erudition"! I cannot read music and I skip over the technical analysis of music in cd booklets as beyond my comprehension. All I can claim is a broad (but not necessarily deep) knowledge of the orchestral (and only orchestral!) repertoire from the late 19th century. That does not count as "erudition" by any measure.

Nevertheless I am delighted to be welcomed back in such a fashion............. :)
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2021, 11:26:04 pm »

Honestly, speaking as someone who has some technical kowledge, I'm not sure that it's all it's cracked up to be!  ;) I think the main thing with music is how it makes you feel - the "tingle factor" if you like. It seems to me that most of the postings on this forum are concerned not with technical issues or anything particularly erudite; they're much more about what we like or don't like at a purely visceral level. Does it make the blood run faster or does it bring a tear to the eye? Or does a particular singer put your teeth on edge?  :o

The opinions you've expressed about the music you like have always been interesting and have sometimes directed me to stuff I didn't know, which I regard as a significant gift from you to me. So I'm very glad you're back!  ;D
Report Spam   Logged
jimmatt
Level 2

Times thanked: 8

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2021, 01:42:11 am »

Erudite, Schmeerudite. I applaud Lionel's response, and tell Dundonnell his lack of "erudition" is what makes him relatable and a friend I have never met. When I hear "erudite", or "musicologically speaking" I hark back to some personalities we all may have experienced in forums and my mental picture is of a cardiganed curmudgeon sitting in an uncomfortable chair sipping tea with both pinky and nose elevated, discounting all other classical music aficionados as philistines and rabble. Now that was kind of mean, I guess, and I absolutely approve of someone having real musical knowledge and expertise and being able to share it in an understandable way with me at my level. So, Colin, I picture you in your music room sitting, dancing, conducting, moving, crying or whatever response you get from really feeling and enjoying what you are hearing and not giving a hoot what anyone else thinks of you. I am American, so I can't really say xxxx
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 11:20:33 pm by Admin » Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2021, 09:53:12 am »

I speak as someone who might, to all outward appearances, look like a "cardiganed curmudgeon" (I love that phrase!) but there the similarity ends (I hope!) I have reached the age where "not giving a hoot what anyone else thinks of you" is one of the joys of everyday living. The trick is to express that "independent-mindedness", if I may so decsribe it, with grace, good humour and a twinkle in the eye so as not to actually offend others. If we conduct ourselves as grown-ups who have developed some "emotional intelligence" then this forum should be a rewarding place to be. So, once more, Colin, three hearty cheers for your return!

Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2021, 03:09:29 pm »

Just to confirm I only meant "erudite" in its most positive sense!! :)
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2021, 04:05:24 pm »

Just to confirm I only meant "erudite" in its most positive sense!! :)
;)

Your feeling the need to clarify that, christopher, sparked the thought that we must beware of the recent tendency to denigrate erudition and expertise. If I needed brain surgery, I'd rather that it were performed by an expert!
Report Spam   Logged
patmos.beje
Level 4

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2021, 09:28:40 pm »

I just saw this post today.

Absolutely delighted you (Colin) are back.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I have greatly missed your insightful contributions.  Thank you for returning.  :) ;) :D

🤗🥳🤩
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2021, 10:37:22 pm »

That is, once again, extremely kind! And yes, I do sometimes (or did) "conduct" the music I am listening to in my sitting room, I have occasionally danced and I am certainly moved to tears by some music. I recall Holst's reaction to hearing RVW's Tallis Fantasia in Gloucester Cathedral, gripping his seat lest he was levitated upwards by the spiritual power of the music. There have been many times in the concert hall I have held onto my seat to prevent losing control of my arms-at the grandeur of a Bruckner brass chorale for example. It is the way I respond to music and I make no apology for such a physical, visceral reaction.

....but of course I have enormous respect and admiration for erudition in any form and in any subject provided it is expressed without arrogance or conceit. 
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 11:22:48 pm by Admin » Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2021, 10:52:15 pm »

Erudite, Schmeerudite. I applaud Lionel's response, and tell Dundonnell his lack of "erudition" is what makes him relatable and a friend I have never met. When I hear "erudite", or "musicologically speaking" I hark back to some personalities we all may have experienced in forums and my mental picture is of a cardiganed curmudgeon sitting in an uncomfortable chair sipping tea with both pinky and nose elevated, discounting all other classical music aficionados as philistines and rabble. Now that was kind of mean, I guess, and I absolutely approve of someone having real musical knowledge and expertise and being able to share it in an understandable way with me at my level. So, Colin, I picture you in your music room sitting, dancing, conducting, moving, crying or whatever response you get from really feeling and enjoying what you are hearing and not giving a hoot what anyone else thinks of you. I am American, so I can't really say "not give a toss" with any credibility. Bloody hell!

I am certainly moved to tears by some music. I recall Holst's reaction to hearing RVW's Tallis Fantasia in Gloucester Cathedral, gripping his seat lest he was levitated upwards by the spiritual power of the music. There have been many times in the concert hall I have held onto my seat to prevent losing control of my arms-at the grandeur of a Bruckner brass chorale for example. It is the way I respond to music and I make no apology for such a physical, visceral reaction.

....but of course I have enormous respect and admiration for erudition in any form and in any subject provided it is expressed without arrogance or conceit. 

RVW seemed to have that effect on his fellow composers. You probably know that Sergei Rachmaninov played in the first half of Henry Wood's fiftieth anniversary concert as soloist in his Second Piano Concerto; when he heard RVW's Serenade to Music from his place in the audience, he was so overcome by the beauty of the music that he openly wept. If that isn't a compliment, I don't know what is.

There are certain pieces that have my humble tear ducts going every time I hear them.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2021, 10:57:02 pm »

There are certain pieces that have my humble tear ducts going every time I hear them.

"O Thou transcendent", from the finale of A Sea Symphony by Vaughan Williams....

Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
guest822
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2021, 10:44:49 am »

For me it's the opening of RVW's 5th Symphony...

Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2021, 05:01:28 pm »

That is, once again, extremely kind! And yes, I do sometimes (or did) "conduct" the music I am listening to in my sitting room, I have occasionally danced and I am certainly moved to tears by some music. I recall Holst's reaction to hearing RVW's Tallis Fantasia in Gloucester Cathedral, gripping his seat lest he was levitated upwards by the spiritual power of the music. There have been many times in the concert hall I have held onto my seat to prevent losing control of my arms-at the grandeur of a Bruckner brass chorale for example. It is the way I respond to music and I make no apology for such a physical, visceral reaction.

Colin. I just found a couple of quotes from Maurice Ravel that entirely back up your (and my!) position: "Music, I feel, must be emotional first and intellectual second." And "We should always remember that sensitiveness and emotion constitute the real content of a work of art".

So there!
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2021, 07:22:11 pm »

Can someone tell me how to add the pictures to my postings?    I see a number of posts that include the photo of the CD jacket... I'd like to do the same.   ThanksKlAKKKKAKKKKA//Z
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: