The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:09:30 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Too much music?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Too much music?  (Read 454 times)
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2021, 10:33:07 am »

Have you got so much recorded music on your shelves or computer that you can never envisage listening to even a small percentage of it ever again? I certainly have, but there is a strange comfort in knowing that it is there to be played at least in theory. A problem I find is deciding what to listen to, the choice is too overwhelming - I scan the discs, mainstream or obscure, and then revert to something familiar...

::)

...must try harder.

Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest822
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 11:24:19 am »

Have you got so much recorded music on your shelves or computer that you can never envisage listening to even a small percentage of it ever again? I certainly have, but there is a strange comfort in knowing that it is there to be played at least in theory. A problem I find is deciding what to listen to, the choice is too overwhelming - I scan the discs, mainstream or obscure, and then revert to something familiar...

...must try harder.

You describe my situation exactly and I suspect it's not an uncommon one amongst our confrères.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 11:36:15 am »

...must try harder.

You describe my situation exactly and I suspect it's not an uncommon one amongst our confrères.

Oh, for the days when an evening at the Crystal Palace, St James' Hall or the Covent Garden Proms was your sole musical delight (other than Auntie Alice's attempts at Rustle of Spring on the pianoforte)...

:o
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
jimmatt
Level 2

Times thanked: 8

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2021, 07:10:26 am »

Me, too, and occasionally I tell myself it is ridiculous, but that never stops me the next time I hear something that I am convinced I will listen to again and MUST have in readiness. It doesn't hurt anybody, keeps me happy whether I do actually listen to them again or not. I especially treasure the very obscure findings, though even those I forget to listen to again. But when I do go back I am usually glad I did and had it at hand, but I, too always find myself most satisfied with the master composers' works. At least with YouTube, SoundCloud and all the other sites it doesn't cost as much as it used to to "be me". I could have bought a house, I think, with all the money I spent on CDs and records, cassettes, et al. only to ultimately donate them to the local university's music library. I hope some young music student there is as crazy as me and has a good obsessive time with the music like I did.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2021, 11:03:30 am »

only to ultimately donate them to the local university's music library. I hope some young music student there is as crazy as me and has a good obsessive time with the music like I did.

Wonderful sentiments. I'm sure good use will have been made of your generosity.

8)
Report Spam   Logged

Nielsenite
Level 1

Times thanked: 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 06:33:34 pm »

I have to struggle with that everyday too. I like to balance known repertoire (or works I have listened to already which I've enjoyed so much) with new discoveries. Even though I'm more attracted to the works I know, the temptation of new works to be discovered is always present. But at the end of the day, the important thing is that you enjoy what you're listening to at the moment.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2021, 06:56:20 pm »

at the end of the day, the important thing is that you enjoy what you're listening to at the moment.

How true!

:)
Report Spam   Logged

guest377
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2021, 08:00:27 pm »

I had that thought also... with the family and busy work schedule.....  I try to listen when I can esp. in the office and traveling.   
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2021, 09:49:47 pm »

I had that thought also... with the family and busy work schedule.....  I try to listen when I can esp. in the office and traveling.   

I'm not wishing to discourage you but I have been retired for nearly fifteen years, never travel anywhere, yet still have the same problem! ???
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: