The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:01:12 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

New CPO releases!!!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New CPO releases!!!  (Read 1714 times)
BrianA
Level 4

Times thanked: 29

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2014, 06:33:31 pm »

I'm a bit perplexed, too, by the use of the adjective "overrated", and please note this is not necessarily a defense of Rontgen or his music (I have only one of the CPO recordings, and for me the jury is still very much out).  I'm just not sure in what sense a composer of Rontgen's relative obscurity can be overrated, unless of course it's relative to other equally unknown composers.  But then again that becomes a somewhat twisted line of reasoning.
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2014, 09:33:40 pm »

Do we know for certain that CPO have cancelled the Rontgen series?
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2014, 12:47:23 pm »

Speaking of new CPO releases, on Friday I bought the new set of piano trios by Robert Kahn, who was a new name to me. He was a friend and pupil of Brahms, eventually dying in exile in Kent in 1951, having fled from Nazi Germany in 1939. He never composed any orchestral music, which may be one factor in his current neglect.

The four piano trios were written in the period 1893-1914, and the style is pretty much Brahmsian. I find them attractive and with plenty of engaging ideas. But then, possibly those who don't care for Röntgen will not like these either.  :)
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2014, 01:36:05 pm »

I don't "rate" Roentgen, I just like the sounds he makes (especially Aus Goethes Faust), much as I like many other composers' sounds. I don't feel everything has to be a contest, especially things so visceral and personal as the music any composer makes. But the reception of these sounds by any one of us who listens to them is also visceral and personal, and a variety of responses is to be expected. If someone wants to comment on a composer's music, that is fine, but militancy in trying to convince others to one's own point of view seems unnecessary. It doesn't work on me, at least. I know little about music, really, and I will either learn more, or not, but I am not a "less than" compared to those of you who know a lot, and I will be hard to convince otherwise, though I value your right to an opinion. Maybe I should have placed a RANT ALERT at the beginning?
Report Spam   Logged
BrianA
Level 4

Times thanked: 29

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2014, 01:56:09 pm »

It wasn't a rant, Shamus, it was a lucid expression of a perfectly reasonable point of view.  Actually, I couldn't have said it better myself.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2014, 09:49:33 pm »

It wasn't a rant, Shamus, it was a lucid expression of a perfectly reasonable point of view.  Actually, I couldn't have said it better myself.
I agree, it was a perfectly reasonable point of view. But in suggesting the displacing of more Roentgen with their own personal pontifications, they ran afoul of me. I would love to hear more of Roentgen, especially his latter symphonies and I am not shy of that preference. They may be polar opposites, but I also greatly admire Bading's symphonic cycle and his other music which has been recorded. Perhaps it is just a resonable to make room for both?
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2014, 09:24:14 am »

If I had to choose, I would take Röntgen over Badings.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2014, 01:52:08 pm »

If I had to choose, I would take Röntgen over Badings.
Agreed..Both have merit, but the way I see it,Badings is from the head and Rontgen is from the heart..
Report Spam   Logged
calyptorhynchus
Level 3

Times thanked: 42

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2014, 10:01:39 pm »

The problem with these discussions is that they inevitably come to take the form of less X, more Y, where X and Y are both unsung composers. I think there should be more X and more Y, ie a record industry that as well as the mainstream composers, also records a generous selection of unsung composers and gives them a chance to shine. Also a recording buying community that buys these recordings along with mainstream ones and make a fair assessment of them.
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2014, 11:13:47 pm »

Hear! Hear! Calyptorhynchus!
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2014, 07:49:03 pm »

To answer my own question above about the supposed termination by CPO of the Roentgen series, CPO inform me that it has NOT been discontinued.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2014, 08:49:13 am »

I'm delighted to hear that!
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2014, 03:05:17 am »

To answer my own question above about the supposed termination by CPO of the Roentgen series, CPO inform me that it has NOT been discontinued.
Amen!!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2014, 03:45:54 pm »

Cpo are going to release a new cd of music by Josef Holbrooke:

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/joseph-holbrooke-klarinettenquintett-op-27/hnum/3011153

But what happened to Vol 2 of the orchestral works? Will it ever see the light of day?!! ::) :(

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: