The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 20, 2024, 04:15:07 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

New CPO releases!!!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New CPO releases!!!  (Read 1715 times)
kyjo
« on: September 07, 2012, 09:04:15 pm »

These new releases have just been put up on CPO's page on the jpc website. I don't know if these have been mentioned at the other forum yet, but here they are ;D! Still no sign of any Kallstenius, JN David, or Holbrooke, though :(.

-George Schumann: Symphony in B minor "Preis-Symphonie" and Serenade, op. 34 (Munchen Radio Orchestra/Christoph Gedschold)

-Andrzej Panufnik: Orchestral Works, Volume 5: Symphony no. 7 "Metasinfonie" for organ, stings, and timpani; Symphony no. 8 "Sinfonia Votiva"; Concerto Festivo (Konzerthausorchester Berlin/Lukasz Borowicz)

-Ottorino Respighi: Marie Victoire (soloists, Chor und Orchester der Deutschen Oper Berlin/Michail Jurowski)

And of course, there are other new releases that probably wouldn't interest us.

;D
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 11:07:31 pm »

Oh.....AT LAST ;D ;D

The Panufnik Metasinfonia on cd :) :)

(I DO agree though about the absence of the Kallstenius and David :()
Report Spam   Logged
erato
Level 2

Times thanked: 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 11:43:51 pm »

Still no Badings! Yet they persist with the thirdrate and derivative van Gilse who have had three releases while we have had nothings from the strongly original Badings..... ???
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 12:16:50 am »

I agree.....although it is the obsession with recording everything ever written by Julius Rontgen which irks me even more ::) ::)
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 02:49:46 am »

Yes, Colin, I agree with you. Rontgen's music generally is more mid-romantic sounding than late-romantic; not what you would expect from a composer with Rontgen's dates, and rather disappointing. His music just doesn't have much power; it doesn't move me. Now if we would have complained about Rontgen on the other forum, we would have gotten kicked out >:(!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 04:28:56 am »

"Some of us" were ;D ;D

...........but, passing very quickly, on, your main point is 'spot on'.  Any criticism of Julius Rontgen's music really angers some people ::) It is, undeniably, pleasant, attractive, late Romantic music, very heavily influenced by Brahms and Grieg but proficient, well-orchestrated........and-to my ears-totally unmemorable :(

I, dutifully, buy each new CPO release, knowing perfectly well that it is highly unlikely I shall ever listen to the music a second-time. That is a terrible confession to make but I regret to say it is the truth :(
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 02:46:05 pm »

I confess to liking Rontgen - BUT I must also admit there is a certain blandness to his music and, like Dundonnell, I buy each new CPO release and find that, although there is much to enjoy and it is always well-crafted, I am becoming increasingly underwhelmed by what I hear.
Report Spam   Logged
lescamil
Level 3

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 09:10:51 am »

I have the new Panufnik release. Haven't been this giddy over a new release in a while. Two supreme readings of the Sinfonia Votiva and the Metasinfonia that outdo both of their predecessors (though the old ones are still worth listening to!). The Concerto Festivo seems a bit lacking, though, compared to the old recording. I already want to hear Volume 6. Anyone know what's going to be on that one?
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 09:19:25 am »

According to a post at the UC (aka the other place! ;D).....and then (via the link provided)......JPC;Symphonies 1 & 2 by Edvin Kallstenius are being released by Cpo,this Autumn! I had never even heard of this composer until I chanced on the UC thread yesterday. After looking at his entry on Wikipedia,some reviews and posts here,this sounds very intriguing?!!

Correction! Symphony No 1 is actually coupled with the Sinfonietta No2 & Musica Sinfonica!!
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 12:38:26 pm »

Just a remark on Röntgen. I always felt like you - untill I heard his later symphonies, from the 1930s. Than he let everything go and created some far mor individual scores, that are worthy of the attention of this forum (and not just the 'other one'  ;)) as well. If you ever have time to spare on him again, please try No. 8 in C sharp minor and some others from this period.
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 01:01:50 am »

"Some of us" were ;D ;D

...........but, passing very quickly, on, your main point is 'spot on'.  Any criticism of Julius Rontgen's music really angers some people ::) It is, undeniably, pleasant, attractive, late Romantic music, very heavily influenced by Brahms and Grieg but proficient, well-orchestrated........and-to my ears-totally unmemorable :(

I, dutifully, buy each new CPO release, knowing perfectly well that it is highly unlikely I shall ever listen to the music a second-time. That is a terrible confession to make but I regret to say it is the truth :(
Listen to No. 8 again..
Report Spam   Logged
Expi
Level 3

Times thanked: 11

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 11:35:52 am »

Röntgen is a very uninteresting and overrated composer. good that CPO canceled his symphonies series. there are much more importend things to do, like a Sibelius symphonies and tone poems cycle with CPO conductor Ari Rasilainen or the long expected Herbstsymphonie by Joseph Marx !!
Report Spam   Logged

Here is a short list of relevant british composers:
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 01:36:17 pm »

Röntgen is a very uninteresting and overrated composer. good that CPO canceled his symphonies series. there are much more importend things to do, like a Sibelius symphonies and tone poems cycle with CPO conductor Ari Rasilainen or the long expected Herbstsymphonie by Joseph Marx !!
Listen to symphony 8 please..
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 05:57:13 pm »

Röntgen is a very uninteresting and overrated composer. good that CPO canceled his symphonies series. there are much more importend things to do, like a Sibelius symphonies and tone poems cycle with CPO conductor Ari Rasilainen ...

Is this tongue in cheek? ANOTHER Sibelius cycle? Really? I'm not taking this seriously!
Report Spam   Logged
erato
Level 2

Times thanked: 2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 06:16:10 pm »

Röntgen is a very uninteresting and overrated composer. good that CPO canceled his symphonies series. there are much more importend things to do, like a Sibelius symphonies and tone poems cycle with CPO conductor Ari Rasilainen ...

Is this tongue in cheek? ANOTHER Sibelius cycle? Really? I'm not taking this seriously!
I can imagine ziilions of things that need to be recirded before yet abother Sibelius cycle, however extraordinary those works are. Klaus Egge symphonies with Rasilainen, Hilding Rosenberg, etc.......................
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: