The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:29:45 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Aaron Jay Kernis: Symphony of Meditations (Symphony no. 3)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aaron Jay Kernis: Symphony of Meditations (Symphony no. 3)  (Read 720 times)
BrianA
Level 4

Times thanked: 29

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2021, 06:20:14 am »

Has anybody have access to on online/uploadable/downloadable performance of the above?

Thanks in advance!

Brian
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 06:24:23 am »

Has anybody have access to on online/uploadable/downloadable performance of the above?

Thanks in advance!

Brian

Only one movement I'm afraid, but here it is...

https://soundcloud.com/the-knights/aaron-jay-kernis-symphony-of-meditations-mvt2

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
guest822
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 08:53:09 am »

I rate Kernis. I have a three CDs of his music, including one of Truls Mørk playing his delicious Cello Concerto, Colored Field, and this:

which is also attractive. With any luck, this type of stuff will be the music of the future rather than all that Boulez-school do-do.
Report Spam   Logged
relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2021, 01:05:15 am »

All his music is very fine, dynamic, and very well conceived.  If you like Christopher Rouse or Lowell Liebermann, you'll find much to enjoy with Kernis.  His Symphonies No. 2 and 4 are also commercially available.
Report Spam   Logged
jonah
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2021, 07:55:07 pm »

Kernis is yet another underrated US composer of symphonies, along with Harris, Creston, Piston, Adler, Bolcom, Rouse et al.
Whilst there are recordings of some symphonies by these composers, there is no comprehensive coverage of their works, let alone complete symphony sets in most cases.  Even ignoring the present Covid-related problems of recording and performing, there seems little interest within most US orchestras to promote their own symphonic legacies, so potential audiences are missing out on a glorious selection of music deserving of multiple hearings.
Report Spam   Logged
relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2021, 01:19:37 am »

Kernis is yet another underrated US composer of symphonies, along with Harris, Creston, Piston, Adler, Bolcom, Rouse et al.
Whilst there are recordings of some symphonies by these composers, there is no comprehensive coverage of their works, let alone complete symphony sets in most cases.  Even ignoring the present Covid-related problems of recording and performing, there seems little interest within most US orchestras to promote their own symphonic legacies, so potential audiences are missing out on a glorious selection of music deserving of multiple hearings.

George Rochberg is also fantastic.  His Symphony No. 6 reminds me of Shostakovitch, Malcolm Arnold, and Bernard Herrmann.  A great cross sample of styles.  His symphonies are epic too, with no. 1 being 65 minutes.  American symphonies are excellent actually because it is a melting pot of ethnicity.  Sort of like how Mahler incorporated pastorals, beer tunes and funeral marches of his bohemian youth in his symphonies, the same was the case with American symphonies with jazz, french, Russian, film, etc., into tragic history.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2021, 04:27:53 pm »

George Rochberg is also fantastic.  His Symphony No. 6 reminds me of Shostakovitch, Malcolm Arnold, and Bernard Herrmann.  A great cross sample of styles.  His symphonies are epic too, with no. 1 being 65 minutes.  American symphonies are excellent actually because it is a melting pot of ethnicity.  Sort of like how Mahler incorporated pastorals, beer tunes and funeral marches of his bohemian youth in his symphonies, the same was the case with American symphonies with jazz, french, Russian, film, etc., into tragic history.
I haven't heard his Rochberg's symphonies,but I read various reviews,most of them enthusiastic! He certainly sounds intriguing. (I'm not familiar with,Kernis). I like allot of American symphonies.Antheil and Mennin & Hanson are three others I like (and Schuman). Mention of Arnold reminds me of Morton Gould's impressive third symphony,which also assimilates popular music,very successfully & interestingly,I think!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: