The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:12:01 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Rubbra’s early Piano Concerto in A minor, op30

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rubbra’s early Piano Concerto in A minor, op30  (Read 661 times)
jonah
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2021, 10:50:42 am »

Gleaned today from the pianist Simon Callaghan’s website (simoncallaghan.com):
There will be a concert and recording on 27th June by Simon Callaghan with the BBCNOW conducted by Martyn Brabbins of the early Piano Concerto in A minor, op30 by Rubbra - a work I have been longing to hear for years - coupled with Holst’s Folk Songs from Somerset and Richard Blackford’s ‘A Gaudí Symphony.
Has anyone here ever heard the Rubbra?
Can someone please try to record at least the Rubbra when it is broadcast?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest822
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 11:16:54 am »

Good spot, jonah - a very toothsome prospect indeed! I see from Rubbra's Wikipedia entry that the op 30 Piano Concerto was 'withdrawn'. Did he ever explain why, does anyone know?

I do hope that a tech-savvy colleague will be able to record it.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 11:41:10 am »

Can someone please try to record at least the Rubbra when it is broadcast?

I do hope that a tech-savvy colleague will be able to record it.

Not a problem, date's already in the diary.

;)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
jonah
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 02:36:53 pm »

Thanks, Albion, as ever for your action on this.
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 02:07:06 am »

IMHO it was a more consistent pairing for Hyperion cd than Bliss.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 06:58:54 am »

IMHO it was a more consistent pairing for Hyperion cd than Bliss.

Yes, having both of the Rubbra concertos together on the same disc would have been extremely valuable...

::)

...but then I do enjoy the Bliss!

:D
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2021, 10:39:14 am »

The ms of the A minor concerto is, apparently, in a poor state and it is only due to Simon Callaghan's work on it and his producing a set of parts from the cleaned up score that we will be able to hear this work.
Report Spam   Logged
JimL
Level 3

Times thanked: 16

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2021, 01:38:51 am »

Not to get too far off-topic, but while we're on the subject of newly found withdrawn early concertos, are there any plans for the recently rediscovered d'Albert A minor concerto?
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2021, 09:32:42 am »

Not to get too far off-topic, but while we're on the subject of newly found withdrawn early concertos, are there any plans for the recently rediscovered d'Albert A minor concerto?

I wasn't aware of that, JimL. Can you tell us how you heard about it?
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2021, 02:53:48 pm »

Hyperion's clear preference for its Romantic Piano Concerto series is to couple concertos by different composers.The company is also (understandably) very conscious of commercial imperatives. Coupling two piano concertos by Rubbra would not have appealed to them.
I too am very intrigued to finally hear the early Rubbra Piano Concerto. I have known of its existence for many,many years.
Of course the composer refused to admit it to his canon. Which brings up the old issue about whether or not a composer is in fact the best judge of the merits of his own compositions, particularly the early, "immature " compositions.And in turn the old arguments about our "rights" to resurrect these works, perhaps against his expressed wishes.
I doubt whether there can ever, or should be, some general rule. To deny us the opportunity- to pick one example- to hear the majesty and sublime power of Sibelius's "Kullervo" would be an utter tragedy.
So..let's welcome the Rubbra and judge the work for ourselves.
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2021, 03:51:20 pm »

Hyperion's clear preference for its Romantic Piano Concerto series is to couple concertos by different composers.The company is also (understandably) very conscious of commercial imperatives. Coupling two piano concertos by Rubbra would not have appealed to them.
I too am very intrigued to finally hear the early Rubbra Piano Concerto. I have known of its existence for many,many years.
Of course the composer refused to admit it to his canon. Which brings up the old issue about whether or not a composer is in fact the best judge of the merits of his own compositions, particularly the early, "immature " compositions.And in turn the old arguments about our "rights" to resurrect these works, perhapsagainst his expressed wishes.
I doubt whether there can ever, or should be, some general rule. To deny us the opportunity- to pick one example- to hear the majesty and sublime power of Sibelius's "Kullervo" would be an utter tragedy.
So..let's welcome the Rubbra and judge the work for ourselves.

I take what some might regard as a simplistic view of these matters. Rubbra is dead and so he's not going to be affronted. We have to be able to hear the piece to decide whether he was right in his decision to withdraw it. And it's not going to do his reputation any harm either way.
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2021, 08:23:54 pm »

I have kept my ear to the ground on this one and I am pretty sure there were some plans afoot to record it, but with whom and precisely how far down the road such plans had got, I really don't know. We can safely (and sadly) say that they will have been put on hold as a result of COVID-19. But I think the d'Albert A minor is bound to be recorded before long.
Report Spam   Logged
jonah
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2022, 04:22:17 pm »

Back to my original post about the early Rubbra Piano Concerto in A minor, op30, and Simon Callaghan’s plans to record it with BBCNOW and Martyn Brabbins, Presto has details of a Lyrita issue (SRCD407) to be issued on 2nd April.
It is entitled ‘British Piano Concertos’ (always a tempting prospect!), and contains  concertante works by Addison, Benjamin, Bush, Maconchy, Searle and Rubbra’s ‘Nature’s Song’ . . . but NO Piano Concerto.
Does anyone know anything about ‘Nature’s Song’?
Also, does anyone here have inside knowledge as to whether, given Simon Callaghan’s work with the score, the recording of the PC will eventually be issued?
Report Spam   Logged
JimL
Level 3

Times thanked: 16

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2022, 02:49:07 pm »

I heard about it on another forum, to which I no longer belong. Then recently I found an article which explained that one of the copies of the "Op. 2" Piano Concerto in the LOC was actually the long-lost A minor (mistakenly believed to be in A Major) concerto, not the B minor that was actually published as his Op. 2.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: