The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:52:27 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Rubbra’s early Piano Concerto in A minor, op30

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rubbra’s early Piano Concerto in A minor, op30  (Read 662 times)
guest822
« on: March 27, 2021, 03:51:20 pm »

Hyperion's clear preference for its Romantic Piano Concerto series is to couple concertos by different composers.The company is also (understandably) very conscious of commercial imperatives. Coupling two piano concertos by Rubbra would not have appealed to them.
I too am very intrigued to finally hear the early Rubbra Piano Concerto. I have known of its existence for many,many years.
Of course the composer refused to admit it to his canon. Which brings up the old issue about whether or not a composer is in fact the best judge of the merits of his own compositions, particularly the early, "immature " compositions.And in turn the old arguments about our "rights" to resurrect these works, perhapsagainst his expressed wishes.
I doubt whether there can ever, or should be, some general rule. To deny us the opportunity- to pick one example- to hear the majesty and sublime power of Sibelius's "Kullervo" would be an utter tragedy.
So..let's welcome the Rubbra and judge the work for ourselves.

I take what some might regard as a simplistic view of these matters. Rubbra is dead and so he's not going to be affronted. We have to be able to hear the piece to decide whether he was right in his decision to withdraw it. And it's not going to do his reputation any harm either way.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: