The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:09:08 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Valentin Silvestrov: Symphony no 9

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Valentin Silvestrov: Symphony no 9  (Read 544 times)
BrianA
Level 4

Times thanked: 29

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2021, 09:39:10 am »

I recently discovered, more or less by accident, that Silvestrov apparently completed a ninth symphony in 2019.  Does anybody know anything else about this event?  And of course the inevitable question: is there an uploadable version of this work floating around out there?

Many thanks!

Brian
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest822
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 10:15:00 am »

I recently discovered, more or less by accident, that Silvestrov apparently completed a ninth symphony in 2019.  Does anybody know anything else about this event?  And of course the inevitable question: is there an uploadable version of this work floating around out there?

Many thanks!

Brian
Well, his Wikipedia page seems to confirm its existence, Brian (however reliable a source that may be). But his publisher Schott only list as far as the 8th Symphony and so maybe its premiere got hornswoggled by the pandemic and he doesn't want it 'out there' until it's had at least a run-through for him to double check that he's written what he thinks he's written! Not all composers are as gung-ho as Elgar in having full scores of their symphonies printed before the piece has even been performed.

;D
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 11:26:10 am »

Intriguing news! I very much look forward to this work coming to light. For me, Silvestrov's Fifth Symphony is one of the masterpieces of 20th Century symphonism.
Report Spam   Logged
Jeff
Level 2

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 08:44:48 pm »

Wonderful composer!
 His Bagatelles appear on my player most days.
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 10:18:15 am »

Many thanks!

Brian

You could ask the guys at Ukrainian Live - https://ukrainianlive.org/silvestrov-valentyn
Report Spam   Logged
BrianA
Level 4

Times thanked: 29

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 11:39:59 pm »

Just so y'all don't think I'm making this up  ;D :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentyn_Silvestrov

There it is: Symphony no. 9 (2019).

Of course we all know that even on a good day wikipedia is not necessarily to be accepted uncritically.  But it's something.

I may have come across a secon reference but if so I no longer remember exactly where.

Brian
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2021, 06:33:46 am »

Just so y'all don't think I'm making this up  ;D

As if!

;D
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: